how do you fellas wire your winch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how do you fellas wire your winch?

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 12-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

how do you fellas wire your winch?

i got a champion winch, from tractor supply recently, and was wondering how you guys have your winches wired up? do you have some spot that you hook your controller in the cab or pop the hood or what? this is my first winch and it came out looking cool but i have a few ideas on wiring it up and was wondering if anyone else has already came up with their own special way that works great in the actual usage.

my winch is a little 4500 pounder because i don't go in the mud or rock climbing. its just for pulling stuff out of the way or getting the occasional minivan out of the ditch at the end of my road. i'll attach a pic of my old cherokee going into the ditch so you can see how deep it is so you know i am not over working my little winch.

thats on 31s with a 5" lift

here is a shot of my cool guy wrangler and newly mounted winch

anyways, how did you fellas wire your up?

Unread 12-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

For $5 you can have the handlebar toggle switch for the smitty 3k winch from four wheel parts. Just pop the solenoid box and find the right wires to splice and you're set. Just make sure you mount it inside the cab near or on the center console. Why? Have you ever tried a steep winch pull? You'll be inthe back of your seat barely able to reach the steering wheel let alone the dash. I suppose you could hook up the standard controller through the firewall but I like to keep my options open.
Unread 12-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i think this one is a handle bar toggle switch, it has some wobble bolts that llok just right to go around a thin bar. some dude is selling a winch controller on craigslist for cheap but i see lots of people have their own switches in the cab, which looks like the way to go. i was just wanting to make sure there wasn't something i was missing, like the extreme angle winching you are talking about. i am thinking some switches in the cab (that are easily accessible on angle) plus a space near the front to hook the normal controller to for when i have to be outside running it.

i am planning on getting another for the rear but need to get some bumpers made that hold the winches, have receivers, and d-rings/hooks because having the winch is cool but it is going to be hard to get used to not having a front receiver.
Unread 12-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you want best of both worlds with no guessing and splicing, 12voltguy.com has everything.
Unread 12-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
yj87ben
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wired my winch to the dash and can still operate it with the wired remote outside through the solenoid box. Works good for me and never had issues reaching the controls.
006.jpg   064.jpg  
yj87ben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just use the handheld that came with the winch and plugs into the control container, then run it over the hood into the cab if I need to winch and drive @ the same time. Usually leave it in the center console until needed.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i will check out the sight listed and am glad to have the pics of how you guys got things set up. i am totally new to winches and have never even considered one till i got a wrangler. looking back on my 4x4 days, i can see a number of times where one would have saved my butt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.