How do you adjust the wiper position - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do you adjust the wiper position

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.com

Unread 08-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
RDavi
2012 JK Wrangler 

How do you adjust the wiper position

History: 95 Jeep YJ, I had the front windshield frame replace because it was rusted and leaking when it rained.

Problem: When I got the Jeep back the wipers were nearly vertical. Prior they were more pointing to the passenger side. I can bring it back in and have them attempt to adjust it but that would mean time off work.

How do you adjust the wipers? I know I have to lower the windshield so please start the how to's after the windshield is down. Oh and I know I can pull the wiper arms off that does not fix the issue just changes how much windshield the wipers clean.

Thanks All

We call it "The Fun JEEP" for a reason, put the computer down and go have Fun!
RDavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Cooter92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So with them vertical, when you turn them on, the passenger side wiper now clears the drivers side and the drivers side wipe cleans the back of the mirror? The only adjustment I know of is taking the arms off and re-clocking where you want them. If they put in a new motor, they should have verified the motor was in park before hooking up the linkage, but you said you got just a new windshield frame, so your motor shouldn't have been cycled on. I don't think the linkage has an adjustment.
Cooter92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

the only adjustment is pulling the wipers off and repositioning to where you want them. as you know they stay at about the 2 o'clock position when in the off position. you can point them to the passenger side when off but they will not wipe properly on the upswing. only way to get them to do a full swipe and park in the horizontal (3 o,clock) position is to get a after market part that replaces the bellcrank on the wiper motor. cooter92yj correct , no adjustment on the linkage. i have been there done that and have installed the after market part on my 92.
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
DeTeR

lower the windshield. remove the wiper motor. the adjustment you need to make is where the motor connects to the mechanism arms
DeTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
RDavi
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just adjusted the wipers, your post was very helpful. Thanks!

For anyone doing this them self here are some tips.

Drop the windshield
Unbolt the three motor bolts and remove the foam cushion
Loosen the bolt that attaches to the wiper arm
DO NOT take it off all the way just enough to pop the arm off
With a pair of pliers pop off the arm till it can freely turn on the bolt
Lift the wind shield and adjust the wipers to the off position
Tighten the motor bolt
Reinstall the foam
Loosely replace the three bolts that mount the motor to the windshield
Turn on the wipers to test
Repeat as needed to get the wipers in place
Tighten every thing down
Reassemble windshield

Note: it is frustrating to get the motor bolt and lock washer on with the amount of room for man size fingers. If you do back the nut off too far and it comes off all the way like I did, masking tap is good for holding the washer in place while screwing the bolt back on. Not fun but doable.

We call it "The Fun JEEP" for a reason, put the computer down and go have Fun!
RDavi is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.