How do I remove the windshield wiper motor and linkage? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do I remove the windshield wiper motor and linkage?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 01-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
Goobersbro

How do I remove the windshield wiper motor and linkage?

So I am trying to remove the motor and linkage but don't want to break anything and unsure of how to.. Also do I need to mark any of the linkage so it everything lines back up when I put it all back in or is there only one way it will all go back together?

Unread 01-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pull your soft top back or remove the hard top.

Remove the 3 bolts on each side holding the windshield to the top of the roll cage.

Remove the 3 bolts on each side of the dash which hold the windshield "plate" to the tub.

You'll need Torx drivers for this - they are kind of a PITA...

Fold the windshield down and you'll find the motor tucked in there on the drivers side and you should have full access to the linkages, etc. as well.

Now is a good time to vacuum out all the filth in there and run a clean, wet towel along the back of the dash.
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Goobersbro

I have the complete inside of the jeep stripped all I'm down to is removing my roll cage and my wiper motor I just am unsure has to how to remove it from inside the winshield I undid all the bolts that were holding it to the frame but I couldn't disconect it
Unread 01-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pictures so that we can see where you are
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
slimer74
1989 YJ Wrangler 

After you have all three screws out of the wiper motor, you need to look over to the right of the motor at the linkage access hole on the back side of the windshield frame. You'll see a peg that connects the drive arm coming from the wiper motor to the linkage that moves both wipers. You can pry the arm coming from the wiper motor off of the peg where it connects to the other linkage with a flathead screwdriver. When that is disconnected, you'll be able to slide the motor & arm out. Don't forget that the wire bundle going from the dash to the wiper motor also needs to be unhooked.
slimer74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jump in it and drive over to my house and I'll help you out.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #7
Goobersbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimer74 View Post
After you have all three screws out of the wiper motor, you need to look over to the right of the motor at the linkage access hole on the back side of the windshield frame. You'll see a peg that connects the drive arm coming from the wiper motor to the linkage that moves both wipers. You can pry the arm coming from the wiper motor off of the peg where it connects to the other linkage with a flathead screwdriver. When that is disconnected, you'll be able to slide the motor & arm out. Don't forget that the wire bundle going from the dash to the wiper motor also needs to be unhooked.
Thanks thats exactly what I was asking....Sorry guys for the misguided first post. I have all the wireing in the whole jeep/engine compartment removed so thats covered...I just wasn't sure how to seperate the motor from linkage without breaking anything. I guess thats what I should have asked to begin with

As for you tim you should drive to my house and help I'm going to have a meet at my house with food and drinks when I put the interior backtogether I know I'm going to need some help in a few areas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.