How do I remove the shifter for my transmission itself - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do I remove the shifter for my transmission itself

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Goobersbro

How do I remove the shifter for my transmission itself

I am stripping the inside of my jeep and I am curious as how to remove my stick shift??? Mean max help hahaha

Unread 10-25-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

There are a couple of ways assuming you have the upper boot (there are 2 of them, the accordian shifter boot and a flat rubber seal (this I call the lower boot) that covers the whole opening) and cover plate removed:
  • Undo the 4 bolts on the shifter pedistal and lift it all off.
  • Inside the pedestal, there's a bayonet fitting on a spring that holds the shifter inside. You need to push down & turn it (counterclockwise I think), then pull the shift lever out - the lower boot will stay on unless you cut it or split the shifter (the bottom of the shift lever is pressed into the upper part).
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
Goobersbro

thank you I will go try that
Unread 10-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

opihi59 did a nice write up on removing the shift lever.
Unread 10-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobersbro View Post
I am stripping the inside of my jeep and I am curious as how to remove my stick shift??? Mean max help hahaha
Gotcha covered Goob!

Here is the shift tower. The shifter lock ring engages the 2 pins in the sides of the tower and the seal sits at the bottom to provide a seat for the ball on the shifter. If the seal is bad, replace it, the pins are not removable, but the oil seal can be installed while they're in place.

Shifter removal includes unlocking the retainer ring from the base, also check the small hard nylon cap at the very tip of the shifter for wear.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
Goobersbro

so I tried and tried pushing down and the thing won't friggin budge but I can lift it up like a solid 1/2 an inch or more also which way do I rotate it for sure....because this thing isn't moving like What the crap
Unread 04-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Goobersbro

ah ha I figured it out hahahaha it wasn't the stick itself you guys were talking about it was that little metal piece I figured this out after reading max's post over and over and over again lol anywho thanks I got it out and cleaned it all up and put it back in
Unread 05-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
normalicy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

OK, so I figured out how to detach the shifter per this post (was just as confused as Goobersbro). I didn't realize that the shifter & can looking thing weren't connected. However, I'd really like to know how to seperate these two pieces so I can remove the old boot & install a new one without cutting? Short of brute force (which I guess I don't have enough) I can't get it separated in a logical manner.

E-mail at: normalicy@charter.net

Heatware References (a feedback website) HERE

Ebay Feedback HERE
normalicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #9
Goobersbro

I got my boot off without destroying it but honestly don't know how it took me a solid like 20 minutes of pulling and being angry and sitting and staring at it and then trying some more hahahhahaha....Finally I got it thought
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #10
1990offroadYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the onlyk way i was able to get mine off was to use a air hammer and a vise. and it bent the can peice a little. it was a pain
1990offroadYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #11
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by normalicy View Post
OK, so I figured out how to detach the shifter per this post (was just as confused as Goobersbro). I didn't realize that the shifter & can looking thing weren't connected. However, I'd really like to know how to seperate these two pieces so I can remove the old boot & install a new one without cutting? Short of brute force (which I guess I don't have enough) I can't get it separated in a logical manner.
Try this link from the FAQ.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...hifter-513891/

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:58 AM   #12
normalicy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome thinks. I looked all over for this info & couldn't find it. Brute force then. Gonna have to get a pickle fork.

Ebay Feedback HERE
Unread 12-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
jwheels627

This thread came up as the closest thing i could find, does anyone know what peice is the washer/seal that holds the ball of the shifter down in the transmission?
I didnt do the work, but my poor mechanic doesnt know the name of the peice and showed me mine which was worn and in pieces...all he could say was its a curved washer the holds the bottom ball of shifter.

Any help is well appreciated...staring to snow so i really need my jeep running
jwheels627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
normalicy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheels627 View Post
This thread came up as the closest thing i could find, does anyone know what peice is the washer/seal that holds the ball of the shifter down in the transmission?
I didnt do the work, but my poor mechanic doesnt know the name of the peice and showed me mine which was worn and in pieces...all he could say was its a curved washer the holds the bottom ball of shifter.

Any help is well appreciated...staring to snow so i really need my jeep running
You're probably talking about part# CRO4864226X as sold here:
Oil Seal by Crown Automotive and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH3

Ebay Feedback HERE
Unread 03-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #15
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys I got a major problem doing a clutch swap and the ring holding the shifter retainer is absolutely not moving and I can't get the shifter off. There's a lot of crap in there and I guess it's all corroded but there's no way any sized man could get this down and twisted. I used about a gallon of PB and it still won't move. Do u guys have any suggestions or experiences with this bc I can't go any further with this until that shifter comes off.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.