How do I know if my suspension could use replacement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do I know if my suspension could use replacement?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
rocksnstuff
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How do I know if my suspension could use replacement?

I know this is a broad, if not vague, question. Here is some more detail:
I just bought my first Jeep. It is a 1993 Wrangler. I am pretty sure it is rocking all of the original suspension. There are no cracks or excessive rust in any of the leaf springs.

All four leaf springs (front and back) sit pretty much straight when the vehicle is not weighted (no passengers), with a bit of sag on either end of the spring where it attaches to the body. Is that normal, or a sign that the springs are getting worn? I have been sneaking peaks at other Jeeps' suspension and noticing most leaf springs are still concave, crescent shape facing up with the weight of the Jeep body on them.

What visual cues should I look for? How should the ride feel? Is there no better way to determine if they need replacement than to take it in to a mechanic who is familiar with Jeep suspension?

Thanks!

rocksnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

They are probably the original springs which were flat from the factory. The arched springs are lift springs.

At this point they don't necessarily need replacement, I have the stock springs on my '88, but a set of Old Man Emu springs will help your Jeep ride like a Cadillac(from what I've heard anyhow)
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
BEETROOT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Unless they are badly rusted or you can see cracks or something in them, they should be fine. Like the other poster said though... new springs would probably give you a better ride.
BEETROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

Confirming new springs are virtually flat. OME had a reputation of best riding springs. BDS has the lifetime warranty 2.5 or 4" springs if you're lifting it.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.