How do I get the side panel off? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do I get the side panel off?

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle Truss

Unread 01-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

How do I get the side panel off?

I need to replace my door and entire left side panel after getting broadsided. How do I get the side panel off? Talking the entire side from just behind front wheel to the back corner panel. I have never done body work before so I don't even know where to start.

Unread 01-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Can you show pictures? There are panels up front but the back is a Tub that I am aware of.
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

First of all get a Haynes repair manual.

The sides are spot welded in place. You will need to drill out each spot weld in order to remove the panel.

These are both good resources for factory original body parts/restoring a tub:
http://www.classicent.com/jeep.php
http://www.quadratec.com/category/Je...s/41/index.htm
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris68 View Post
Can you show pictures? There are panels up front but the back is a Tub that I am aware of.
I'm sure you know what a Jeep tub looks like. "I need to replace my door and entire left side panel after getting broadsided." sorta lead me to believe he's talking about the entire side of the Jeep.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
Unread 01-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

you will probably get more info posting on the paint and body section of the forum, but like the other poster said the panel is held on with spot welds. you don't drill out the weld, you use a special cutter, its like a hole saw bit that is slightly larger than the weld and it cuts around the weld. you will have to cut away the damaged panel to get access to the welds, a 4' grinder with a cutting blade will work for this. after you remove the old panel you grind down the welds, drill holes in the panels for the new welds, then weld it in with a mig.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
you will probably get more info posting on the paint and body section of the forum, but like the other poster said the panel is held on with spot welds. you don't drill out the weld, you use a special cutter, its like a hole saw bit that is slightly larger than the weld and it cuts around the weld. you will have to cut away the damaged panel to get access to the welds, a 4' grinder with a cutting blade will work for this. after you remove the old panel you grind down the welds, drill holes in the panels for the new welds, then weld it in with a mig.
I've seen those tools before, the drill works fine though. It's on my list but there are a million other things I need before it. I figure a drill bit is more common in someone's toolbox. Flux core is just a suitable for body work as mig.

Use a wire wheel to remove any filler/paint and locate spot welds.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.