How do i get more flex from my leaf springs - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do i get more flex from my leaf springs

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 02-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #46
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

IMO I don't think having your jeep setup for off road is an excuse for it handling any different on the road than any other suv. My yj can take corners far better than my stock zj or the stock height Silverado or the van, because I run the correct hardware while I'm on the street.

You may not think a track bar in front is needed at all until you make an emergency swerve and your bushings are just a little too worn and your axle just pushes to the side and you clip something because it didn't turn far enough. Or sway bars when you run on the highway and your on an entrance ramp goin 30 mph and it's got a funky shaped bump in it and it sends you on 3 wheels for a second.

I'm not telling anyone how to build your jeep just take into account that rubber bushings aren't always as strong as you think.

Probably sent from under my broken heep

1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #47
Jacoby22
1983 CJ7 

Trolls
Jacoby22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #48
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
You DO realize there is a difference between speed and handling, right? Just because you can do the speed limit down the highway with your 4.5" lifted springs DOES NOT mean your jeep can handle corners like a Miata, Honda, minivan.... (pick the soccer mom ride of your choice).

I have lifted my YJ to run off-road, and I drive it on the road every day. Do I expect it to handle like a Ferrari? No.... and I drive it accordingly. Saying his statement is "retarded" indicates a certain lack of intelligent reasoning and deductive abilities on your part. So, if the shoe fits....
Ok I guess.
Never in any post did I ever say it would handle like a ferrari nor did I ever mention that a jeep should perform like one. If you can't drive you jeep on the road and feel safe about it sell it and drive your moms car. There are hundreds of thousands of jeeps on the road everyday built very well for offroad use and driven as a DD. If you don't build it right then what the hell are you expecting to get? As for your speed and handling BS you can't have one without the other. A jeep built properly will perform excelent on and offroad handling and speed included. Do somemore research before you start running your mouth. A jeep will only perform as good as it is built. End of story.
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #49
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby22 View Post
Trolls
Who?

Probably sent from under my broken heep
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #50
Jacoby22
1983 CJ7 

Sorry wrong thread!

a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3] The noun troll may also refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #51
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

TROLL----------->Burlbook48

Quote:
a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3] The noun troll may also refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted.
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #52
b_a_mech
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How did this thread get so off topic.....guy just wants helpful info to ease the pains of a typical YJ owner.....not a driving lesson.....just saying

Back on topic....getting rid of any component to make the handling of your jeep improve is completely up to what your comfortable with. Whatever you do, only do one at a time. That way you can judge independently.
Pull your track bar....give it a week
Pull your sway bar...give it a week
Each will put something different on the table and go from there. Only you can know for you
Don't get me wrong....all the guys on here are extremely helpful and love/hate their Jeeps but not everything they like will work for you!
Good luck with the ride....enjoy it!
BUILT NOT BOUGHT #602 / ZOMBIE RESPONSE TEAM #40 / USN HULL #196
b_a_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #53
Jacoby22
1983 CJ7 

If anyone's a troll it's JeepinJeremy!

His yj does rides like a Caddy or Delorean your choice!
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #54
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoby22 View Post
if anyone's a troll it's jeepinjeremy!

His yj does rides like a caddy or delorean your choice!

built not bought and done right
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #55
dan240
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
So essentially what I'm saying is don't drive it like a ferarri unless hou understand the cost of the ferarri and don't have insurance.

Fine, what I'm saying is I do not suggest making blanket statements about immediately tossing swaybars and trackbars in the trash based on assumptions about suspension/steering set-ups.
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #56
Jacoby22
1983 CJ7 

If you really want more flex ditch the square headlights and go round then never look back!
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #57
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan240 View Post
Fine, what I'm saying is I do not suggest making blanket statements about immediately tossing swaybars and trackbars in the trash based on assumptions about suspension/steering set-ups.
Once again I didn't assume anything. I have years of experience with trial and error when it comes to driving a jeep on the street. There are zero drawbacks to removal of the trackbars (unless you're going to argue state inspections which I will concede, there is no other argument so don't try). The suspension binds up with the trackbars installed and even a grade school child could demonstrate with a square peg and round hole. Swaybars are a bit of a mystery to some. When removed, the body roll is a real time indicator of the forces pulling you as you corner. Using this information properly, you can better handle the vehicle within the parameters of safety. Think of it as an on road clinometer, telling you in real time what the suspension is doing to allow for immediate feedback via the steering wheel.
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #58
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ripper3494 needs to post a video of his Jeep doing donuts on dry asphalt. 6 liters of fury running around in circles!

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #59
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
Ripper3494 needs to post a video of his Jeep doing donuts on dry asphalt. 6 liters of fury running around in circles!
And he wonders why his jeep is always broken...
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #60
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
And he wonders why his jeep is always broken...
Because I tried to do donuts on dry asphalt while pretending my 4 banger is a 6.0L V8.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.