How do i get more flex from my leaf springs - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do i get more flex from my leaf springs

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
YJ475
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Before investing money in disconnects, just take the swaybar off down by the axle (two bolts), and zip tie/bailing wire it out of the way for a day or three. That way, you'll be able to tell how your vehicle behaves without it. I have a Detroit in the rear, and run without trackbars or swaybar. In my case, they were both completely useless. The trackbar is always useless, but your mileage may vary with the swaybar.

YJ475 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #17
Taylor_44
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26
Everyone I've talked to about revolvers didn't like them. Said they were unpredictable
This alone is a 100x better than what I'm getting right now. I think I'm going to start here before investing money.
Taylor_44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #18
Taylor_44
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ475
Before investing money in disconnects, just take the swaybar off down by the axle (two bolts), and zip tie/bailing wire it out of the way for a day or three. That way, you'll be able to tell how your vehicle behaves without it. I have a Detroit in the rear, and run without trackbars or swaybar. In my case, they were both completely useless. The trackbar is always useless, but your mileage may vary with the swaybar.
That's a good idea, I'm going to do this before spending any money.
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #19
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

In the picture you have posted it sure looks like your shocks are at full travel. It surprises me that Nobody caught that. After you un hook and remove everything everybody has suggested your still limited to the amount of travel in your shock. I would suggest in buying front and rear extensions and or hoops. I use the m.o.r.e shock extension in the rear and m.o.r.e. hoops in the front with bilstein extended travel shocks. You will notice a huge improvement in your articulation once you address that. also the black yj has no shocks what so ever so his flex is BS not to mention he is about to snap his brake lines.
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #20
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

looking at the picture you still have stock sway bar links which are curved or bent like that from the factory. I am a firm believer is safe driving. Keep your sway-bar and just buy a nice set of disconnects. Track bar is up to you some like it some don't but they also make a quick disconnect track bar and a telescoping track bar. JKS make some nice stuff take a look at it.
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #21
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJeremy View Post
In the picture you have posted it sure looks like your shocks are at full travel. It surprises me that Nobody caught that. After you un hook and remove everything everybody has suggested your still limited to the amount of travel in your shock. I would suggest in buying front and rear extensions and or hoops. I use the m.o.r.e shock extension in the rear and m.o.r.e. hoops in the front with bilstein extended travel shocks. You will notice a huge improvement in your articulation once you address that. also the black yj has no shocks what so ever so his flex is BS not to mention he is about to snap his brake lines.
How big of a difference do the MORE shock extensions make?
dakota123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #22
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota123 View Post
How big of a difference do the MORE shock extensions make?
A huge difference as long as you buy the correct shocks to run with them.
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #23
Taylor_44
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've noticed my shocks look fully extended and didn't think they should be. I need to figure out the measurements and buy the correct ones and also some that have a smother ride, I'm not a fan of the Rancho. Not a smooth ride
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #24
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The pass front line is getting tight however it IS NOT taught. I am measuring for shocks as well as installing front hoops to complement the rear shock bar. To call my pics BS is a little extreme. I was simply showing what is capable from a yj.
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #25
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor_44 View Post
Are the revolver shackles live up to the hype and worth the money?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
Everyone I've talked to about revolvers didn't like them.
The best way to find out something is to try it for yourself.
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #26
jeepnbrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

The best way to find out something is to try it for yourself.
Beautiful comment. 👍👍

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

4.0, AT, 3.5 Fabtech, 1" SRS, 1" BL, 35x13.50x15 Toyo MT's, HP30, TJ shafts, Lockrite, 8.8, Power Trax No Slip, 4.11's, Warn bumpers, W8274, SYE, and a bunch of other stuff....
jeepnbrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #27
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
The pass front line is getting tight however it IS NOT taught. I am measuring for shocks as well as installing front hoops to complement the rear shock bar. To call my pics BS is a little extreme. I was simply showing what is capable from a yj.
sorry bro if I hurt your feelers but if that brake line was any more tight/taught it would be spurting brake fluid out of it.
564898d1360897917-how-do-i-get-more-flex-my-leaf-springs-forumrunner_20130214_221154.jpg  
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #28
kirksjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I know the norm is to remove the front track bar and sway bars. I have the RE XD 4.5" kit and without the sway bars and front track bar the Jeep is dangerous e at highway speeds. Although I have a,trailer for my Jeep, I drive it as long as the trail is w/in 2 hrs from my house. The combination of raising the center of gravity, flexy tires and an Aussie in the rear makes driving interesting. I have sway bar discos and I made a track bar disconnect too. My point is that only you know if your Jeep is safe not somebody analyzing your jeep over the Internet.
1992 YJ Sahara- 4.5" RE XD, 1" BL, 1" MML, 35" BFG MT, 8.8 w/Aussie, D30 w/Ten Factory shafts/ Aussie, 4:10 gears, Soild Diff Covers, SYE, CV Drive shaft, OBA, Flowmaster Super 44,, Custom head pipe, Super Chip, Boared out TB, Rock It Intake , Goferit Tie Rod Flip, 99+ intake manifold/Steering pump, custom front/rear bumpers,Hand Throttle, Hurst Shifter, Smitty Built sliders , 6" TJ flairs, Kilby belly up skid, Quadratech 9K winch, ZJ PS cooler. 01 XJ Sport-2" lift, 31x10.50 MT/ 02 Liberty 2" Lift
kirksjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #29
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksjeep
I know the norm is to remove the front track bar and sway bars. I have the RE XD 4.5" kit and without the sway bars and front track bar the Jeep is dangerous e at highway speeds. Although I have a,trailer for my Jeep, I drive it as long as the trail is w/in 2 hrs from my house. The combination of raising the center of gravity, flexy tires and an Aussie in the rear makes driving interesting. I have sway bar discos and I made a track bar disconnect too. My point is that only you know if your Jeep is safe not somebody analyzing your jeep over the Internet.
Good point. Still i say lose both see if it feels safe to you. You were complaining bout the ride being a little stiffer? That may help too
dakota123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #30
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If it feels dangerous, stop driving it like a Ferrari. Its a jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.