How do I find out what size lift my YJ has? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do I find out what size lift my YJ has?

NEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-24-2010, 04:29 AM   #16
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-ray View Post
So, 23" from floor to panel, tires are 2.5" higher over stock, 23-2.5= 20.5 or a 2.5" lift? OK so where can I find this lift. I've never had anyone show me where the actual lift brackets are.
There are no "lift brackets". A suspension lift on a YJ is done with either new leaf springs with a larger arch or with new shackles that are longer. (not to mention a spring over axle (SOA) setup - too confusing at this point in the thread)

It looks like you have about a 2" to 2.5" lift that is accomplished with after market springs and also after market lift shackles on the front end to level out the Jeep.

Last edited by johnboy68; 08-24-2010 at 06:15 AM..
johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 06:02 AM   #17
mattyrayb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you're factoring in the height of the tire you wouldn't subtract the total difference, only 1/2 that right?
For example, stock tires being 29" and an aftermarket set being 33" the difference would be 4". BUT you should only factor in the radius (center to outside edge) which gives you 2" of extra lift. The other 2" is just on top of the tire not making a difference to overall height.

At least that's my thinking.
mattyrayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #18
T-ray
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy68 View Post
There are no "lift brackets". A suspension lift on a YJ is done with either new leaf springs with a larger arch or with new shackles that are longer. (not to mention a spring over axle (SOA) setup - too confusing at this point in the thread)

It looks like you have about a 2" to 2.5" lift that is accomplished with after market springs and also after market lift shackles on the front end to level out the Jeep.
Cool, thanks for the info. The front shackle does look longer but I havent seen a stock one to compare it too.
T-ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.