How do I determine my body lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do I determine my body lift?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 11-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
tchoberg
1987 YJ Wrangler 

How do I determine my body lift?

I just bought a '87 4.2 Liter YJ that has a raft of extras, 33 x 12.5 tires with 1 1/2" or 2" spacers, brushgard with driving lights, custom bumpers with a swing out rear with jack and luggage mount, Kenwood AM/FM/CD radio, hard top, full doors, and it is lifted. The only problem I have is that 33's rub the springs when I turn hard, which isn't a big deal.
My question is - how can I figure how much lift do I have?
Thanks - Ted

tchoberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchoberg View Post
I just bought a '87 4.2 Liter YJ that has a raft of extras, 33 x 12.5 tires with 1 1/2" or 2" spacers, brushgard with driving lights, custom bumpers with a swing out rear with jack and luggage mount, Kenwood AM/FM/CD radio, hard top, full doors, and it is lifted. The only problem I have is that 33's rub the springs when I turn hard, which isn't a big deal.
My question is - how can I figure how much lift do I have?
Thanks - Ted
post pictures of it. good pics from the side and rear.

there is a bolt on each knuckle up front. it is your steering stop. if you back it out a few turns, you can get to where it hits the steering stop before the tires touch the springs. take a look
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
tchoberg
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hi Poke - Thanks for the information on the steering stops. I will check them out and take some pictures and post them tomorrow as it is raining here today.
Ted
Unread 11-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If the tires were installed on OEM rims, you most likely have the wrong backspacing. By limiting your turn radius with the adjustment Poke suggested, you will be able to stop this but you'll end up with a larger turn radius.

A body lift won't move the tire away from the spring.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Often the spring manufactures with paint a part number on the top of the leaf spring. You may need to clean it some or brush the dust off of it to clearly see the number.

Google that number & you may find that leaf to be part of a lift kit.

Check the shackles too to see if they are lift shackles.

Stock shackles are 4" from bolt hole to bolt hole. 1" lift shackles will be 6" between holes. 1/2" lift shackles would be 5" between holes etc etc.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
tchoberg
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I will check all that was suggested but it snowed will delay me. Good info - Thanks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.