How do I change the timing for the "nutter bypass" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do I change the timing for the "nutter bypass"

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
paxcrunner
1988 YJ Wrangler 

How do I change the timing for the "nutter bypass"

So I totally understand what I need to do, I just dont know how to do it an I want to make sure I do it correctly. After the Nutter bypass it tells your to advance the timing to 8 Degrees BTDC. Does anyone have any step by step directions on how to do that and the tool's I'll need? Pictures would help.

Thanks!

paxcrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
spawnofsatan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here you go don't forget to get a timing light also timing mark must be clean.

Timing mark is located in the crank pulley.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...bypass-476720/
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
paxcrunner
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, but I have that link, and all I see is a bolt... is there more there that i'm missing?
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Loosen the bolt for the distributor and turn. Now you can do it three different ways start turn it in small movements until it starts, or use a vacuum gauge until it runs or find a timing light and still guess at a starting point. There is not set directions to start to set the timing. Most of it is by ear in the first place to do the beginning setting. Then using either the ear and time to get it right. Use the timing light or vacuum gauge to set it right to the money. And none are a sure method to get the engine to run right.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
paxcrunner
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks dodger, I'm going to get a timing light and figure that all out. Dont shoot me, but this explained it enough for me to understand what i'm doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYGU7mTwsZc

Last edited by paxcrunner; 03-15-2010 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: wrong link
Unread 03-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey we all learn differently.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Great Video, I wish that was available when I started learning about ignition curve and timing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.