How do I....? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do I....?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
LaFox
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How do I....?

How do I bench-bleed the clutch master cylinder on a 1993 YJ 4 banger? (Step by step) Please! Directions did not come with it, I've never had to bleed a clutch and from reading here it seems like everyone is saying something different. I'm totally lost with this..

All help welcome..

Thanks,
Lafox

LaFox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

push pedal down once and hold.do not pump it.open bleeder,close bleeder,release pedal,repeat
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
UnFocused
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hi LaFox, itís pretty easy.

The master comes with a reservoir towards the front (probably white plastic) and a port on the top towards the firewall plugged with a plastic plug (probably black) to connect the metal clutch line.

First force the master shaft which connects to the clutch pedal into the master to make sure that it works. If thatís fine then mount the master in a vice (or otherwise stabilize it) so that the clutch line port is slightly higher than level. Thirty degrees is fine; thatís the difference between 2 PM and 3PM on a clock.

Remove the cap and the port plug. Slowly pour NEW sealed DOT3 brake fluid into the reservoir until it tops out in the port. Replace the reservoir cap and the port plug. You have just purged the air (bled) from the master cylinder. Now comes the precision part.

Make sure that you have some kind of plastic cap to cover the end of the metal clutch line when you disconnect it from the old clutch master; any kind of vacuum line cap will work. Youíll loose a little fluid to matter what you do but the object is to minimize air (fluid loss) in the clutch line. There is a clip on the lower firewall which holds the clutch line in place and you must free that up so that you can freely move the clutch line up above where it connects to the master cylinder.

Disconnect the clutch line from the old master and cap it. Install the new master cylinder. Remove the master port plastic plug; remove the clutch line cap and insert the clutch line into the master as deep as you can - you will probably have to wiggle it around a bit. Restart the nut holding the clutch line and make sure that you donít cross-thread it. Continue wiggling the clutch line (and forcing it down) and tightening the nut by hand as far as you can and then snug it with a wrench.

Reinstall the clutch line clip on the lower firewall. There will still be some air in the clutch line so top off the master reservoir and continue with the clutch bleeding procedures which youíve already discovered.

When youíre done hose off the entire clutch master area and firewall. Continue to watch the master fluid level for a couple of weeks as small amounts of air will purge from the system through normal usage. Replenish fluid as necessary and snug up any leaks.

Good Fortune to you!
UnFocused is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
LaFox
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Umm thanks, where do I find the bleeder and how does it open.. I'm not trying to be dumb about this, but I just don't know.. and I don't want to mess this up. I've read where people have broken the bleeder and I don't want to be another one.
Unread 08-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
LaFox
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ah ok, thanks "UnFocused" that sounds more like what I needed to hear. Although I've already installed the master.. No problem, I can pull it back off and do it the way you said. Hopefully that will work for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.