How Did Your New Seats Hold Up? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How Did Your New Seats Hold Up?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

How Did Your New Seats Hold Up?

I am looking for new seats (front & back) for our Jeep and have searched and found a few threads on the subject. Our Jeep is not a daily driver, will not have the soft top installed much and will be kept in the garage. We are probably most interested in vinyl due to occasionally getting caught in the rain and ease of cleaning. It looks like Best Top, Rugged Ridge and Smitty Built all make units.

Many of the posts talk about seats that were recently purchased or may be a year old at the most. What I am curious about is how you feel about the ones you bought and how well they have held up over several years.

Thanks,

Unread 07-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have Corbue vinyl seats. They resemble stock seats. They have held up like crap. One and half years old and they started to rip at the seams. Even the passenger seat started ripping at the seams and that side does not get much use.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I got a set of Bestop TrailMax Pro's as a gift almost 8 years ago and like them alot. They have held up well to occasional use. My Jeep gets stored in the garage.

Taller folks don't seem to like them as much. According to what I have heard (from them) the seat is taller by ~1" and there's not as much leg room between the seat and the steering wheel.

For me - the height is perfect and I have excellent heal-to-toe as long as the seat is slid all the way back.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
I have Corbue vinyl seats. They resemble stock seats. They have held up like crap. One and half years old and they started to rip at the seams. Even the passenger seat started ripping at the seams and that side does not get much use.
Have you talked with Corbeau about this? I have the Baja SS non-reclining and they seem to be holding up very well after about 6 months. The vinyl is pretty heavy and stitching is tight. They are a pain to get into, but once in I don't want to get out. They are the most comfortable car seats I have been in. Before I bought these I checked with guys running these in their Jeeps and buggies out at Glamis and all had a great report even in the hot sun and sand of Glamis.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Yep, I have Corbeau Moab Neoprene seats in my YJ that were put on by the previous owner right before I bought the Jeep a year ago. Definitely crap quality seats, but they sure are proud of them for the price they're asking...

Not even two years old and they are faded to a cigarette ash gray and the fabric is coming apart. Mind you, this Jeep is garage kept...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I got a set of Bestop TrailMax Pro's as a gift almost 8 years ago and like them alot. They have held up well to occasional use. My Jeep gets stored in the garage.

Taller folks don't seem to like them as much. According to what I have heard (from them) the seat is taller by ~1" and there's not as much leg room between the seat and the steering wheel.

For me - the height is perfect and I have excellent heal-to-toe as long as the seat is slid all the way back.
X2 on the Bestop seats. My dad has had the neoprene ones in his CJ7 for about 7 years now. He doesn't keep his Jeep in a garage and sits in the sun constantly. The seats have faded but not nearly as much as my Corbeaus.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I hate my moabs. Won't buy the brand ever again.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I never had Besttop seats, But I had Besttop seatcovers on my 95 YJ for about 7 Years they held up great, If their seats hold up as good as their covers I would spend my $ there.
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've got the Corbeau RS seats.
They are doing great so far. Installed 2 years ago. Jeep is nearly a daily driver.
I would like more padding, less aggressive bolster, and lower seating, but they are so much better than stock I'll have to find a much better seat to change.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can't just go by what other people think with their asses in their seats. To me a major factor was entry/egress. Many of the styles have high hard bolsters that are more difficult to climb over, especially on taller vehicles. Another consideration is width between the bolsters, with what is good varying between fore said posterior and thigh width specs between people.

If you're considering a high bolster style, sit in the exact seat first (a 4x4 shop showroom, ask someone at an event or a mall parking lot, wherever). If you are choosing a more conventional lower bolster seat, the factor of asses/thighs is reduced. I went for Bestop Trailmax II Pro (mild bolster).

If you weld, the sit-height is not an issue. I welded up some new seat brackets/pedistals to put me at a height I liked.
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have the rugged ridge seats. I have had them since about 08. My jeep only has about 3k miles on it since then. It was mainly garage kept.

1)The plastic in the head where the top belts of a 5 point harness would go has cracked and its now splitting apart on the passenger seat.

2) they sat taller then my OEM seats so I had to get a smaller steering wheel.

3) They look like racing seats so even though they are made to relcline they hit the roll bar towards and only relcine a little ways.

4) they are increadibly uncomfortable.

5) the adjustment rods that run though them are wanting to slide out on one of them

6) the plastic covers on the side that cover up the metal by the adjuster was crap and never fit right (took them off so they didint rattle)

Long story short, I would not purchase these again.
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I went to the pick and pull and found a set of Grand Prix seats that were comfy and interchanged with the mounting brackets (there's a thread or two about that). I threw on my neoprene seat covers and they are holding up well.
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
You can't just go by what other people think with their asses in their seats. To me a major factor was entry/egress. Many of the styles have high hard bolsters that are more difficult to climb over, especially on taller vehicles. Another consideration is width between the bolsters, with what is good varying between fore said posterior and thigh width specs between people.

If you're considering a high bolster style, sit in the exact seat first (a 4x4 shop showroom, ask someone at an event or a mall parking lot, wherever). If you are choosing a more conventional lower bolster seat, the factor of asses/thighs is reduced. I went for Bestop Trailmax II Pro (mild bolster).

If you weld, the sit-height is not an issue. I welded up some new seat brackets/pedistals to put me at a height I liked.
I'm looking for a lower to mid bolster seat. The Jeep is too high and I am too old to get in and out of a high bolster seat. My race car had the seat below, so I know about trying to get my *** in and out of a seat even if the car was slammed to the ground.

I can weld and could modify/redo the stock bases if need be. How tall are you and how do you ride in your seat?
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #13
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U View Post
I went to the pick and pull and found a set of Grand Prix seats that were comfy and interchanged with the mounting brackets (there's a thread or two about that). I threw on my neoprene seat covers and they are holding up well.
Pictures? what year grand prix, cloth or leather, and were the seat covers meant for the Jeep or the Grand prix seats. Thanks!
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJameson View Post
Yep, I have Corbeau Moab Neoprene seats in my YJ that were put on by the previous owner right before I bought the Jeep a year ago. Definitely crap quality seats, but they sure are proud of them for the price they're asking...

Not even two years old and they are faded to a cigarette ash gray and the fabric is coming apart. Mind you, this Jeep is garage kept...

X2 on the Bestop seats. My dad has had the neoprene ones in his CJ7 for about 7 years now. He doesn't keep his Jeep in a garage and sits in the sun constantly. The seats have faded but not nearly as much as my Corbeaus.
Same style seat that I have. I contacted Corbue and they at least gave me a new set of covers. I have to install them, I guess I am waiting until I cannot stand to look at them. I am pretty disgusted with the crap vinyl.

Call Corbue.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I put in the Bestop Trailmx II's about 6 months ago and I really like them although they do sit much higher than the OEM seats. Mine is my DD and I only have a bikini top and my Jeep lives outside all the time and they are holding up very well so far. Very comfortable on long rides and I no longer get TB after those rides.

I would recommend them to anyone looking for a non-reclining seat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.