JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   How Did Your New Seats Hold Up? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/how-did-your-new-seats-hold-up-1543670/)

tom_sprecher 07-01-2013 03:50 PM

How Did Your New Seats Hold Up?

I am looking for new seats (front & back) for our Jeep and have searched and found a few threads on the subject. Our Jeep is not a daily driver, will not have the soft top installed much and will be kept in the garage. We are probably most interested in vinyl due to occasionally getting caught in the rain and ease of cleaning. It looks like Best Top, Rugged Ridge and Smitty Built all make units.

Many of the posts talk about seats that were recently purchased or may be a year old at the most. What I am curious about is how you feel about the ones you bought and how well they have held up over several years.

Thanks,

pasinbuy 07-01-2013 04:15 PM

I have Corbue vinyl seats. They resemble stock seats. They have held up like crap. One and half years old and they started to rip at the seams. Even the passenger seat started ripping at the seams and that side does not get much use.

Joe Dillard 07-01-2013 05:33 PM

I got a set of Bestop TrailMax Pro's as a gift almost 8 years ago and like them alot. They have held up well to occasional use. My Jeep gets stored in the garage.

Taller folks don't seem to like them as much. According to what I have heard (from them) the seat is taller by ~1" and there's not as much leg room between the seat and the steering wheel.

For me - the height is perfect and I have excellent heal-to-toe as long as the seat is slid all the way back.

Reno72 07-01-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasinbuy (Post 15629542)
I have Corbue vinyl seats. They resemble stock seats. They have held up like crap. One and half years old and they started to rip at the seams. Even the passenger seat started ripping at the seams and that side does not get much use.

Have you talked with Corbeau about this? I have the Baja SS non-reclining and they seem to be holding up very well after about 6 months. The vinyl is pretty heavy and stitching is tight. They are a pain to get into, but once in I don't want to get out. They are the most comfortable car seats I have been in. Before I bought these I checked with guys running these in their Jeeps and buggies out at Glamis and all had a great report even in the hot sun and sand of Glamis.

LJameson 07-01-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasinbuy (Post 15629542)

Yep, I have Corbeau Moab Neoprene seats in my YJ that were put on by the previous owner right before I bought the Jeep a year ago. Definitely crap quality seats, but they sure are proud of them for the price they're asking...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psbc20d66e.jpg

Not even two years old and they are faded to a cigarette ash gray and the fabric is coming apart. Mind you, this Jeep is garage kept...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Dillard (Post 15629857)
I got a set of Bestop TrailMax Pro's as a gift almost 8 years ago and like them alot. They have held up well to occasional use. My Jeep gets stored in the garage.

Taller folks don't seem to like them as much. According to what I have heard (from them) the seat is taller by ~1" and there's not as much leg room between the seat and the steering wheel.

For me - the height is perfect and I have excellent heal-to-toe as long as the seat is slid all the way back.

X2 on the Bestop seats. My dad has had the neoprene ones in his CJ7 for about 7 years now. He doesn't keep his Jeep in a garage and sits in the sun constantly. The seats have faded but not nearly as much as my Corbeaus.

gunshw301 07-01-2013 05:47 PM

I hate my moabs. Won't buy the brand ever again.

Tom95YJ 07-01-2013 07:03 PM

I never had Besttop seats, But I had Besttop seatcovers on my 95 YJ for about 7 Years they held up great, If their seats hold up as good as their covers I would spend my $ there.

czjeeper 07-01-2013 08:25 PM

I've got the Corbeau RS seats.
They are doing great so far. Installed 2 years ago. Jeep is nearly a daily driver.
I would like more padding, less aggressive bolster, and lower seating, but they are so much better than stock I'll have to find a much better seat to change.

JeeperDon 07-02-2013 06:59 AM

You can't just go by what other people think with their asses in their seats. To me a major factor was entry/egress. Many of the styles have high hard bolsters that are more difficult to climb over, especially on taller vehicles. Another consideration is width between the bolsters, with what is good varying between fore said posterior and thigh width specs between people.

If you're considering a high bolster style, sit in the exact seat first (a 4x4 shop showroom, ask someone at an event or a mall parking lot, wherever). If you are choosing a more conventional lower bolster seat, the factor of asses/thighs is reduced. I went for Bestop Trailmax II Pro (mild bolster).

If you weld, the sit-height is not an issue. I welded up some new seat brackets/pedistals to put me at a height I liked.
:cheers2:

87TPIYJ 07-02-2013 07:01 AM

I have the rugged ridge seats. I have had them since about 08. My jeep only has about 3k miles on it since then. It was mainly garage kept.

1)The plastic in the head where the top belts of a 5 point harness would go has cracked and its now splitting apart on the passenger seat.

2) they sat taller then my OEM seats so I had to get a smaller steering wheel.

3) They look like racing seats so even though they are made to relcline they hit the roll bar towards and only relcine a little ways.

4) they are increadibly uncomfortable.

5) the adjustment rods that run though them are wanting to slide out on one of them

6) the plastic covers on the side that cover up the metal by the adjuster was crap and never fit right (took them off so they didint rattle)

Long story short, I would not purchase these again.

UZI4U 07-02-2013 07:40 AM

I went to the pick and pull and found a set of Grand Prix seats that were comfy and interchanged with the mounting brackets (there's a thread or two about that). I threw on my neoprene seat covers and they are holding up well.

tom_sprecher 07-02-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeeperDon (Post 15631768)
You can't just go by what other people think with their asses in their seats. To me a major factor was entry/egress. Many of the styles have high hard bolsters that are more difficult to climb over, especially on taller vehicles. Another consideration is width between the bolsters, with what is good varying between fore said posterior and thigh width specs between people.

If you're considering a high bolster style, sit in the exact seat first (a 4x4 shop showroom, ask someone at an event or a mall parking lot, wherever). If you are choosing a more conventional lower bolster seat, the factor of asses/thighs is reduced. I went for Bestop Trailmax II Pro (mild bolster).

If you weld, the sit-height is not an issue. I welded up some new seat brackets/pedistals to put me at a height I liked.
:cheers2:

I'm looking for a lower to mid bolster seat. The Jeep is too high and I am too old to get in and out of a high bolster seat. My race car had the seat below, so I know about trying to get my *** in and out of a seat even if the car was slammed to the ground. :laugh:

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/related/...op-Drawing.gif

I can weld and could modify/redo the stock bases if need be. How tall are you and how do you ride in your seat?

grandboost98 07-02-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UZI4U (Post 15631874)
I went to the pick and pull and found a set of Grand Prix seats that were comfy and interchanged with the mounting brackets (there's a thread or two about that). I threw on my neoprene seat covers and they are holding up well.

Pictures? what year grand prix, cloth or leather, and were the seat covers meant for the Jeep or the Grand prix seats. Thanks!

pasinbuy 07-02-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJameson (Post 15629897)
Yep, I have Corbeau Moab Neoprene seats in my YJ that were put on by the previous owner right before I bought the Jeep a year ago. Definitely crap quality seats, but they sure are proud of them for the price they're asking...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psbc20d66e.jpg

Not even two years old and they are faded to a cigarette ash gray and the fabric is coming apart. Mind you, this Jeep is garage kept...

X2 on the Bestop seats. My dad has had the neoprene ones in his CJ7 for about 7 years now. He doesn't keep his Jeep in a garage and sits in the sun constantly. The seats have faded but not nearly as much as my Corbeaus.

Same style seat that I have. I contacted Corbue and they at least gave me a new set of covers. I have to install them, I guess I am waiting until I cannot stand to look at them. I am pretty disgusted with the crap vinyl.

Call Corbue.

jeff_in_rc 07-02-2013 08:06 AM

I put in the Bestop Trailmx II's about 6 months ago and I really like them although they do sit much higher than the OEM seats. Mine is my DD and I only have a bikini top and my Jeep lives outside all the time and they are holding up very well so far. Very comfortable on long rides and I no longer get TB after those rides.

I would recommend them to anyone looking for a non-reclining seat.

The time now is 07:58 AM.