How did you fix your rusted floor pan? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How did you fix your rusted floor pan?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #16
PLHamp

Did they tack weld it or run a bead all the way around? How much did you guys pay for the welding?

Thanks,

Pat

PLHamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #17
jay1335
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in the same boat. My floor looks exactly like yours and I just replaced the same spot under the stamped jeep logo.

image-4126295183.jpg

I got a welder for Xmas and am going to give it a try myself. The sheet metal repair I did wasn't too ugly. And it's a jeep it isn't supposed to be perfect hahaha. Plus bedliner will cover most of it and the carpet will cover the rest.
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #18
pendragon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ah the common issues that draw us together! I am in the same boat as you are., I got a friend charging me a 6 pack and $20 bucks to weld mine in. I just have to wait on him to find the free time. Just go to a machine shop and ask them, can't see it costing much if you can do the prep work yourself.
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
deermjd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I paid $500 for a body shop to replace 4 floor replacement panels and put down spray-in bedliner. That included labor to remove the seats, roll bar, etc. I probably could've paid less had I stripped everything down and cut out the bad sections of floor but I didn't have any means to tow my jeep to the body shop. Again, I don't regret paying to have that done.
deermjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #20
Benlev22
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Where did you get your pedal covers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deermjd View Post
PLHamp,

I was in your shoes about 3 months ago trying to decide what to do about my floor pans. I really considered using some automotive body panel adhesive or even some sheet metal screws. I had the same replacement panels as you. I was going to have the inside of the tub bedlined but I still wanted it to look good. I ended up paying someone to weld in the new floor panels and I haven't looked back. To me it was worth every penny. My$0.02

Not the best picture but it's all I could find.
Benlev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #21
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I welded mine in

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #22
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I guess this isnt the worse necro thread resurection we have seen around here.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #23
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

On my drivers side I went a little overboard, but that's just how I typically roll. Cutting out the rust and trimming the Key Parts preformed pan was made easy by a sheet metal nibbler from Northern. Their flanger/punch tool was used to flange the edges of the floor and punch clearance holes every 2" for sheet metal screws around the pan. The fit was perfect and well worth the $65 price for the pan. Then holes were drilled in the floor for the screws to hold the pan down while it was welded. Also, I made sure to pick up the tub structural channels under the pan as much as I could.

I'd pull a screw and spot weld, alternating around the pan as shown below.

Sometimes when I pulled a screw the panels would separate from minor warping. That called for tightening the screw back down and putting a spot weld on the seam. Eventually the seam was stitch welded around the entire perimeter.

While I don't have a picture of the area with Raptor liner on it, you'll have to take my word it looks awesome, almost like I knew what I was doing (actually this was the first time I ever done anything like this). I haven't done the underside of the pan yet and will probably use auto body seam sealer and paint.

While I was at it the multitude of screw holes in the tunnel from PO repairs were welded up and ground down to make a decent start for the uncut Warrior cover I got on closeout for $40 from Morris or somewhere.

Unread 07-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #24
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Im with Gage56...even used the same floor pans (I thought he stole my pics for a second LOL). I used to fab solar panels that were 40ft x 10ft x 5" and weighed close to 2.5ton. We welded the 3x5 angle iron frame, but the pans we glued in with automobile panel adhesive. We did tests by flipping them upside down and the the glue held up better than I would have thought. We even had a guy come in from 3m and show us a bunch of stuff about their products. This was almost 10 years ago already so I am sure their stuff is even better.
In short there are pros and cons to each...glue them and its easy and no heat, no grinding welds. Weld them, they are permanently bonded together, you know what you have! But if you own a Jeep, I would recommend a welder and learn how to use it. Jeeps should come with welders.

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #25
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Weld it. Do it right the first time.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #26
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Jeeps should come with welders.
LOL Right

If you act now on any new or preowned jeep wrangler you get a free welder

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.