How did you fix your rusted floor pan? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How did you fix your rusted floor pan?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 03-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
PLHamp

How did you fix your rusted floor pan?

First off I do not know how to weld, I can solder pretty well by welding is another story. I have cut out the rusted portion of the floor and have a replacement pan/floor that actually welds or can be attached all the way around if I trim the rust and all the good metal back. I have trimmed all the rust areas back plus about 2-3 inches all around. Now my dilemma, should I pay for welding or is seam sealer and rivets good enough? Sheet metal screws and seam sealer or should I get it welded and then do seam sealer. I intend to spray the underside with undercoating to control any more rust. Seems the previous owner went to slammer and the Jeep sat for two years with out the plugs pulled and water pooled up just on the drivers side, rest of inside is fine.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Pat

jeep-floor-001.jpg   jeep-floor-002.jpg  
PLHamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
YJSteveD
1989 YJ Wrangler 

In my YJ, some plates were riveted in
YJSteveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
itsonlyatruck
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i would have made sure the ned pan overlaps the hole and just rivete it in with some silicone around the edges to seal it up.
itsonlyatruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
MegaCabMan
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If your not concerned about beauty then just use some body panel adhesive and glue the panel in place. Then I'd cote the floor, inside and out with truck bed liner. the adhesive available at auto paint supply stores or online.

http://www.eastwood.com/no-weld-pane...FWJgTAodhDMR6A
Unread 03-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
MegaCabMan
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsonlyatruck View Post
i would have made sure the ned pan overlaps the hole and just rivete it in with some silicone around the edges to seal it up.
Iv seen this done and the silicone will hold water and cause the area to rust...the best bet is to use the epoxy panel adhesive.
Unread 03-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I did mine with rivets, has held up good

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't know rivets was an option. i guess how it looks on the floorboard doesn't matter.
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Dixierambler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was rusted out just like yours. I took the replacement panel and riveted to what good material was left. Then came from underneath with another piece of sheet metal and sort of doubled it up. Seem to strenghten it as well. Used a marine adhesive and sealed it up. So far so good.
Dixierambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
Jared24knapp
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I just did drivers side floor pan bent my own sheet metal and riveted down and then patched
The ocward edges with fiberglass and the rhino lined over the top and looks
As good as new to me
Jared24knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What did you use to cut the floor with? Really nice clean looking cut!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #11
PLHamp

I used a Sawsall, with a really high end metal blade from Bosch. I need to cut a little more then, based on the concesus, I am going use the newer style stainless steel body panel rivets, 1/4" and Seamsealer. I probably will leave punch outs on the corners for welds for later just in case. I bought a can of bedliner and intend to both front floors and underneath.

I really appreciate everybodys responses.

Pat
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
PLHamp

Just an update, the floor is trimmed and fits almost flush all the way around. I did have rust through on the rocker just below the JEEP logo. I trimmed a peice of sheet steel from Home Depot and got a punch and offset tool on line. That peice is in and I think I need to weld that unless someone has a better idea. I am going to put the diamond plate rocker panel protectors on and they cover the repaired area completely. I guess I could use riviets for that and then just bondo the rough spots. Ideas, suggestions. I came within an inch of buying a weleder from Northern Tool for $150. But never welded before and am not I want to start now, although this is a Jeep.

PLH
jeep-floor-023.jpg   jeep-floor-022.jpg   jeep-floor-021.jpg  
Unread 03-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
animal0307
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The OP of my jeep used sheet metal screws i believe. If I ever have to do it I will be welding them in.
animal0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just left it rusty and put a big square piece of plate steel down, and secured it with sheet metal screws. If I ever need a base for my Hi-lift, I can take it off

But since you have the new pan, in the past I have used rivets and it worked fine. I have drilled a few extra drain holes in my tub because if you leave the windows and doors off you get standing water pretty often around here.

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
deermjd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

PLHamp,

I was in your shoes about 3 months ago trying to decide what to do about my floor pans. I really considered using some automotive body panel adhesive or even some sheet metal screws. I had the same replacement panels as you. I was going to have the inside of the tub bedlined but I still wanted it to look good. I ended up paying someone to weld in the new floor panels and I haven't looked back. To me it was worth every penny. My$0.02

Not the best picture but it's all I could find.
deermjd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.