How to - Detailed 4" LED flush mount tail lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to - Detailed 4" LED flush mount tail lights

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

How to - Detailed 4" LED flush mount tail lights

I know we have all seen the 4" LED write-up, I've done one previously myself. But I'm not so thrilled with that one, and my wife wanted me to install them on her '93 YJ, so I thought I would give documenting this procedure another shot. I bought these grommet mount 4" LED lights at Wal-Mart for about $15.99 each, and I bought an EL-12 electronic flasher at the local Advance Auto Parts for about $11.99, but I ended up not needing it because I replaced her flasher unit previously with a "heavy duty" model which surprisingly worked perfectly.

First I removed the four phillips head screws that attach the factory lenses to the stock housings on each rear tail light and then removed the three 10MM head bolts that attach the housings to the body. Once the housing is unbolted you can disconnect the wiring connector for the tail lights.

I measured through the oval wiring access hole up the the top of the wheel well. There is just enough room vertically to mount these lights. If you cut the hole too high, you will cut into the top of the wheel well. If you cut the hole too low the grommet for mounting the light will interfere with the trim around the gas filler.

As you can see here, the upper edge of the oval hole is 3-5/8" from the top of the wheel well. I really wanted to make sure that I didn't chop into the top of the wheel, so I used 3-1/2" as my measurement when calculating where to cut.

Next I covered the entire area with tape to help control paint chipping/damage during cutting, and to provide a place to make my mark for drilling. I measured the 2 lower bolt holes & found that they are 2" (center to center) apart from each other. I marked the center between the 2 lower holes & then drew a vertical line from that mark to the center of the upper bolt. This will guarantee that the lights are centered L & R exactly the same as the factory lights.

I measured 3-1/2" up from the top of the oval hole & made a mark on the tape to indicate the location of the top of the wheel well and then made a mark on the vertical line 2-1/2" below it. This where I centered my 4.5" hole saw, as called for in the LED light instructions. I used a center punch to make a small hole in the body to prevent my hole saw arbor from veering off course & then cut the 4.5" holes in the body. Leaving the tape in place, I used a round file to smooth the cut & remove any burrs, and then gave the cut edge a quick blast of paint to prevent rust.

I removed the tape & let the paint dry while I prepared the wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

First I cut the pigtails from the factory housings to provide me with a quick disconnect. These housings were in pretty good shape, so I left enough wiring to allow them to be repaired & reused later on if someone needed them.

Here are the leads from the new LED lamps. The white wire is the ground & has an eyelet on the end, the red wire is the brake/turn circuit, and the back is the park lamp circuit.

I lengthened the white ground wire by about 12" or so. This is to allow the use of a self-tapping ground screw in an easy to reach location, but still have enough length on the wires to remove the lamp from the grommet with the ground still attached.

I mounted the screw up high (near the top of the wheel well) because it was easy to get to, and to keep the screw from coming through the inner plastic wheel well behind the tire.

Driver side

Passenger side

The colors of the light circuits was exactly the same on both sides.

Green with black tracer = brake/turn circuit
Solid white = park lamp circuit
White with black tracer = reverse lamps

Parking lamps on

Brake lamps on

Note:
The reverse lamp circuit was capped off & will not be used just yet, as there is a new rear bumper planned that will incorporate reverse lights.

Also, there will be 2" LED side markers added, but I did not have them on hand to install. I will update this thread to include side markers as soon as I can.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.

Last edited by Mean Max; 02-21-2010 at 09:41 PM..
Unread 02-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

POST........

WIll remove this lol. Messing with you.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
POST........

WIll remove this lol. Messing with you.
I was rather counting on that!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 02-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Goobersbro

More amazing write ups from max looking foward to the follow up
Unread 02-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
H_Swank
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Very detailed, and excellent write up!

"Never trade the thrills of living, for the security of existence" Live and love as if its your last day!!

Life is no fun unless, you take the path with the most resistance. -ME-
H_Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
southworth
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is the thread is was looking for!!! Great write-up! Thanks for the detailed info!
southworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
95jy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

crawled
95jy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just a personal note using butt connectors are not a real good idea. Because they will corrode in time. I would have soldered and shrink tubed the connection. Also use some grease on the plug into the light to keep moisture for corroding there too. Shhh do not ask long distant trucker I deal with those connection and plugs. Not saying that they will not work for a while just looking down the road. Most of the time will fail at most in convenient time......

Cool on how to figure out where to mount them. Thanks
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

excellent writeup max! i will be using that method to find the center of my hole as soon as i get the time. i already have the wal-mart lights on hand i am always skeptical of cutting holes in my body but this method will give me some piece of mind!

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #11
airdevil85
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You wife drives a YJ as well??? how you get so lucky?? my now ex would give me dirty looks when I said lets take the jeep... lol
- "Its been a while since something broke on your truck"
airdevil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Good job Max, as always
I was going to mention the electronic relay, but saw you mentioned it in the initial posting

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
autoboy454
1989 YJ Wrangler 

just bought these same exact lights for Slibri's 89 YJ. Good to know I'll know exactly how to install them
Unread 03-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #14
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Just a personal note using butt connectors are not a real good idea. Because they will corrode in time. I would have soldered and shrink tubed the connection. Also use some grease on the plug into the light to keep moisture for corroding there too. Shhh do not ask long distant trucker I deal with those connection and plugs. Not saying that they will not work for a while just looking down the road. Most of the time will fail at most in convenient time......

Cool on how to figure out where to mount them. Thanks
I would rather have soldered connections too, but I am a bit lazy & the Mrs. was ever-so-patiently watching & waiting on me to finish, plus take my pictures along the way.

So as an alternative, I used the butt connectors to save some time. I did however use dielectric grease to fill the connectors first before putting the wires in.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Mean Max; 03-14-2010 at 07:33 PM..
Unread 03-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #15
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I would rather have soldered connections too, but I am a bit lazy & the Mrs. was ever-so-patiently watching & waiting on me to finish, plus take my pictures along the way.

So as an alternative, I used the butt connectors to saave some time. I did however use dielectric grease to fill the connectors first before putting the wires in.

Max

about the wifey
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.