How to connect Jeep clutch master cylinder to Chevy slave? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to connect Jeep clutch master cylinder to Chevy slave?

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 08-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
treefiddyYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How to connect Jeep clutch master cylinder to Chevy slave?

My Jeep is a 1995 YJ. It had an AX5 with an external slave. Now it has an SM465 with external slave. How do I connect my Jeep's master cylinder to a Chevy slave cylinder? I know Novak sells a fitting that will enable me to use any hardline, but I was hoping I could reuse the fitting and line I already have to save a couple bucks.

Anyone who has done it could I get some ideas and maybe pictures?

treefiddyYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
badblud
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm trying to do this myself as well. I have a Getrag 5 speed with an internal slave that I'm getting ready to hook up to my Jeep master cylinder. Did you have any luck or did you have to go with a Chevy master cylinder?
badblud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Dre40

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Its easy go to Advance adapters and get the fitting that adapts the Jeeps master to a regular brake line flare and run regular brake line.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/pn-716130/
Dre40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Fin_Reaper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre40 View Post
Its easy go to Advance adapters and get the fitting that adapts the Jeeps master to a regular brake line flare and run regular brake line.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/pn-716130/
The AA fitting is not a regular brake line flare. It is a -3AN. You could get another fitting to go from -3AN to the standard threaded brake flare.
Unread 02-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
bandhmo2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here is what I did. This is on a 95 YJ with external slave I think the internal master cylinder is similar.

I used an 1/8" punch to drive out the roll pin that holds the line into the master cylinder. I then cut off the plastic hose and hack sawed off the hose barb off the fitting.

I then drilled and tapped the fitting for 1/8" pipe thread.

Then I threaded in a 1/8" pipe thread to 3/16" flare adapter from my local hardware store. Check to make sure that the fitting does not screw in so far as to block the passage. If it does cut it a little shorter.

I then reinstalled the fitting on the master cylinder and ran 3/16 brake hard line down to next to the slave cylinder on the body. Then I used a rear center brake hose from a 83 Caddy Eldorado (3/16" flare both ends about 8" long) to form a flex line to the a short piece of hard line into the slave cylinder. In my case it was a Jeep CJ slave but I think the chevys have the same threads.

In my case the YJ master did not move enough fluid for the CJ slave and I had to change out for a CJ master, but other wise it worked great. In your case I think the YJ master will move enough fluid as the chevys used a smaller slave then the CJ's.
bandhmo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
Fin_Reaper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Great info! Thanks for posting. Before reading this - I was thinking compression fitting on the short piece of plastic - and not feeling real good about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.