How To Clean Cloudy Turn-Signal Lenses - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How To Clean Cloudy Turn-Signal Lenses

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 01-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

How To Clean Cloudy Turn-Signal Lenses

This will work on all plastic lenses, but I'll pick the turn-signal lenses since they are the hardest to do. All those little bumps are hard to get into. Here is what my lenses looked like when I bought my Jeep back in '05. Sorry for the bad pic, but it's the only one I have of them back then.

All you need is some car polish, an old toothbrush (two would be better), some rags, and water.

Removing the lens from the Jeep wil make it easier. Dab some water on it, then put some car polish on the toothbrush, and brush away. You'll need to keep adding polish as you go. When your done, rinse it off, and wipe it with a cloth. After it dries for while, you will notice little spots where the polish is stuck in the bumps, Clean your toothbrush ( or use a second toothbrush) and brush that stuff out of there. This is the hardest part of the job. The second brush being dry will do a better job. Here is what that exact same lens looks like over two years later. It sits in the garage now if it isn't on the road, which helps alot.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Great idea! Mine look almost white.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It works very well I have done the same thing to cars with the plastic headlights and they come out like new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond 88 YJ
pat8942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond 88 YJ

Your's may take more elbow grease.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
newtjrjrjr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

thats a good idea to use a tooth brush, I normally use brake fluid to clean my lenses
newtjrjrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
wildchild
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Try a compound called Plastex and a buffing wheel. I have used it on headlights and it works great too. But you have to be careful that you don't overheat the plastic.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

yeah... couple years ago, I used that same turtle wax pc to buff out the dash gauge's inside... oil, fuel, ect. Worked great. Got out all the scratch's. Now I can read the dumb things, again!

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
Lumpymayo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, well after reading this I really wanted to give it a go.

I took pictures so I could have a nice before/after.

BEFORE:

DURING:

Now the hard part about this was getting the yellow cover off. It seems like there was glue or adhesive on it to hold it to the white part. I was hesitant at first to pry it off but I realized that even with out the glue holding it anymore, it wouldn't make any difference because of the screws that would secure it to the grill.

AFTER:

I really recommend doing this, takes about 10 minutes and makes it look so much nicer.
Lumpymayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
Jeepkiddo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpymayo
Okay, well after reading this I really wanted to give it a go.

I took pictures so I could have a nice before/after.

BEFORE:

DURING:

Now the hard part about this was getting the yellow cover off. It seems like there was glue or adhesive on it to hold it to the white part. I was hesitant at first to pry it off but I realized that even with out the glue holding it anymore, it wouldn't make any difference because of the screws that would secure it to the grill.

AFTER:

I really recommend doing this, takes about 10 minutes and makes it look so much nicer.
click free!
The Dana 35 was a cruel joke.
Jeepkiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #10
RedMountainYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

a little off topic but any know how to clean up soft top windows? i had a friend that said to buff them like that but im a little sceptical about it.
Unread 01-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #11
Jeepkiddo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

go on eBay and search soft top, there are plenty of things to clean it. If they are selling that good i guess they have to work.
The Dana 35 was a cruel joke.
Jeepkiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
GBogner

My daughter has a Subaru with cloudy head lights covers and I was wondering what I could do, short of replacing them! This forum is GREAT; Thanks for the tip!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.