how to check 4 wheel drive ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how to check 4 wheel drive ?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-30-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
badassf4i

how to check 4 wheel drive ?

What is the best way to check if the foor wheel drive is working properly? i am completely new to this awsome off road world and i have a lot of learning to do. O sorry i have a 1990 jeep wrangler with 3" body lift and 33x12.5 inch rubber.

badassf4i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
daciuk55

you should be able to feel the extra power when you put it in four wheel drive , especially low range
4)1964 cj-5a
daciuk55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #3
avh

Go wheeling, Get stuck.
avh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 07:50 PM   #4
Tailwind

Hey Guy:

I have a 90 model like you. First, when you shift into 4wd, does your dash light (4wd) come on? When you shift the lever, shortly after you will hear a clink sound. You may have to drive a few feet in order to engage. If the light does not come on, and you do not here this "clink", your front drive is not engaged.

If so, many here on the forum will reccomend the posi-loc system, however I chose to put mine back stock. You will need to check the vacuum harness connecting to the front axle shift motor. Quadratec sells the shift motor for around $ 75.00, and the vac harness is about $ 50.00, from your local dealer. So it is really up to you: stock or modified, for about the same cost.

Additionally, ther is a vacuum switch on the transmission, where the vac harness plus into, another dealer, crown, or quadratec item: $ 28.00. Your choice

Randy
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
Bobbywolf

I'll actually answer your question. (as opposed to the first two responses)

A couple of ways to be sure. When you put it in 4low, and you are on a gravel road, spin the tires a bit. Look at the tire, and a friend at the other. If either one of the fronts spin, you are golden.

An easier way is to put it in 4wd on pavment, and turn a tight circle. If you jeep takes the turn nicely, something is wrong. If it bucks and jumps, you are in 4wd. Do this slowly, and not very often. You shouldn't use 4wd on dry roads normally.

Your axle has the vacuum disconnect. If your light isn't coming on, there is a good change that your 4wd isn't working either.
Bobbywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 08:08 PM   #6
badassf4i

i have never seen the dash light? does it matter if it is auto or a 5 speed? i have the 5 speed model? thanks for all the great replys
badassf4i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
Tailwind

Follow up:

Well said Bobby

Additionally, If your 4wd is in question, I can assure you that other items are lurking around the corner to bite you: Jack your front tires up off the ground, and you will probably find: loose steering ball joints, sector rod ball joints, worn out wheel hubs etc. No real worrries, you will now have to make a plan on which items to replace first, off course on your budget. All of the items are readilly available at resonable prices, but they do add up! Let us know what you find - always ready to help.

Randy
Unread 07-30-2006, 08:12 PM   #8
Tailwind

I will take a picture of the 4wd light on mine and email it to you, to show you where to look. Shoot me an email wrclark@netdoor.com, and I will try and get it to you asap.

Randy
Unread 07-30-2006, 08:29 PM   #9
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

ive got a '90 YJ too and my 4x4 light doesnt work but my 4 wheel drive works fine, so i usually use the spin your front tires on gravel test to make sure its engaged.
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 09:04 PM   #10
jipjip

i agree w/ bobbywolf. the circle method is the easiest and quickest method to find out if it's working or not. all auto's and 5 speeds have the 4wd light, and it's controlled by the front vaccum disconnect, so if the diaphram is bad, or the 4wd is not engaging, the light will not come on. if the light DOES come on, chances are your in 4wd.
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 09:09 PM   #11
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Jips....

But, not having tha light light doesn't mean your not in 4 wheel.

Agree the best way is to find some gravel or dirt and spind the tires with a friend watching.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #12
jipjip

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond88yj
Jips....

But, not having tha light light doesn't mean your not in 4 wheel.

Agree the best way is to find some gravel or dirt and spind the tires with a friend watching.
i agree, but if it's not on, at least you know there's a problem
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 09:20 PM   #13
avh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbywolf
I'll actually answer your question. (as opposed to the first two responses)

A couple of ways to be sure. When you put it in 4low, and you are on a gravel road, spin the tires a bit. Look at the tire, and a friend at the other. If either one of the fronts spin, you are golden.

An easier way is to put it in 4wd on pavment, and turn a tight circle. If you jeep takes the turn nicely, something is wrong. If it bucks and jumps, you are in 4wd. Do this slowly, and not very often. You shouldn't use 4wd on dry roads normally.

Your axle has the vacuum disconnect. If your light isn't coming on, there is a good change that your 4wd isn't working either.
It was a joke and I knew he'd get an answer. Don't be so sensitive.

I apologize for the joke with no technical response. In all seriousness, I have seen several people find out that their 4wd didn't work when they got stuck. No harm intended. Again, sorry.

Last edited by avh; 07-30-2006 at 09:32 PM..
avh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 11:46 PM   #14
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

The vac switch for the light is on the firewall. Mine 4x4 works but my light doesn't. I disconnected the switch when I cleaned up the engine bay. My posilock is just about done anyway so I won't be able to use it.
Unread 07-31-2006, 04:12 AM   #15
90yjkrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you want to just check if the 4 wheel drive works you can strap your Jeep to a tree and pull against it. The tires will spin if the 4 wheel drive works. Make sure you are on gravel or dirt and don't turn the front wheels too sharp. Also make sure the tree is pretty stout.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.