How can I tell if my ECU is shot? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How can I tell if my ECU is shot?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #31
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

just look for the hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 05:30 PM   #32
msprooch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Your voltages aren't that bad but remember that a high current could be present with that low voltage.

OHM's law ---> V = I R

Therefore if the resistance is very low and the voltage is low then the current could still be high.
msprooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 07:56 PM   #33
lexinator02
1995 YJ Wrangler 

well instead of fusible link wire all I could find was inline fuses with 12 gauge wire so I installed these in place of the fusible links... 4 total I beleive with 30 blade fuses in each. I know this was the wrong way to do it but I couldnt risk blowing my new ECU. Do you think 30's are too high? Could this be making false readings in the PCM for the sensors? All I know is that before the issues arose it idled fine. It was like pegged at 3,500 once the engine warmed up and nothing except pressing the gas pedal or opening the throttle. I think its electrical bc that would be a giant intake leak to idle that high.

When I installed the ECU, I disconnected the negative battery terminal. That was it. Should I reset it again or what should I do? I need to drive my car home from work tomorrow so I need to get this sorted out.

Thanks in advance guys!
Dave
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #34
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you have any luck. It sure sounds like a vacuum leak
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #35
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure of the values of the fuseable links without a schematic so I cant help you with that right now. It is important to have the correct value though. No, it will not effect the PCM readings so the idle issue doesnt have anything to do with the fuses. The bad news is that because of the way that ECU cooked you could have and probably did take out one or more of your sensors. I would bet that since your high idle from the start that the engine temp or TPS is bad.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #36
lexinator02
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How can I test these sensors? I know the TPS is on the throttle body but where is the start sensor?
Unread 04-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #37
JOExFROMxNY
1988 YJ Wrangler 

how did this turn out?
JOExFROMxNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.