How can i get more power? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How can i get more power?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #46
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

first jeep was an XJ with the 4.0L, and every single one since that has been the 4.0L great friggin engine with plenty of power and torque, just the right amount to do everything i need. I have however found that (at 21) most jeep owners are very social and polite and love to shoot the **** about their jeep and yours altogether, talk about what you have done to it and done in it

tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 02:04 AM   #47
WW2Cool
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ya Iv looked at the clubs page and unfortunately the only club in in middle to southern iowa. Not really what I'm lookin for. As for jeep owners talkin with me. I gota find a jeep owner that ain't a rich kid collage snob.
WW2Cool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 02:11 AM   #48
R3V413
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW2Cool View Post
Ya Iv looked at the clubs page and unfortunately the only club in in middle to southern iowa. Not really what I'm lookin for. As for jeep owners talkin with me. I gota find a jeep owner that ain't a rich kid collage snob.
Lol Never assume that they are, you actually wont know what kind of person that they are until you actually talk to them. If you do find a local jeep owner in your area, dont be shy to just walk up to them and start talking about their jeep and your own. And if they are a true Jeeper, they wont deny talking to you. You never know what could happen. So keep your eye out and give it a shot! Good Luck with it.
R3V413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 02:15 AM   #49
WW2Cool
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Will do thx
Unread 08-08-2011, 02:35 AM   #50
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

how many times i have been minding my own business and someone will come up and be like "hey is that your jeep?" and 30 minutes later were talking SOA vs SUA or something
Unread 08-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #51
R3V413
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankinyj View Post
how many times i have been minding my own business and someone will come up and be like "hey is that your jeep?" and 30 minutes later were talking SOA vs SUA or something
My point exactly. Even though I have only been Jeeping for the last 2 months, I have made about 10 different friends in my local area due to random jeep conversations. Like i said, you will never know till you try.
R3V413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #52
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thx y'all. And line u said learn from others. The problem is I can't find anyone around here that is into jeeps let alone willin to take the time to go crawlin, cruisin or even sit and talk with some 16 year old kid. I live in north east iowa. If anyone is from near the area let me kno.
Yeah I have the exact same problem, no clubs near me, and no money. But guess what worked for me? I stuck around here on JF every day for the lasr few months, and a little at atime I'm starting to hook up with people. I always check their profiles to see if someone is near me.

Here's another trick that I do every time I go out. Say if I'm going to the store, or the mall. Spot another jeep in the parking lot and park next to it. Sometimes I even sit and wait to see the other guy. Usually my YJ is the oldest Jeep around, so we start talking.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #53
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The things that I've found that work on the 2.5 are 4.0 tb, tb spacer, intake, header, catback and e-fan. These are good for about 12 hp. Then regear to 4:88, or at least 4:56. Also it helps not to run to big of tire. I recomend 31" or 32".
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #54
WW2Cool
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm happy with the 30" I have now but I think I want like a 2" lift. Just to give a little more movement over rocks and logs and what not.
Unread 08-09-2011, 02:37 AM   #55
kphimself
2006 TJ Wrangler 

check out meetup.com, you may find a local club on there. Like a few people have said jeepers are very friendly people, don't be afraid to ask where they wheel and if they belong to a club. Heck you could always start your own club.

A lesson I learned the hard way is "plan your build and build your plan". Hit a tail with a group, follow a skilled driver in a more built up jeep, learn what yours can do and how to do it, find out what you want it to be able to do and make a list of what you need to get it there. Keep in mind every upgrade you make effects other things. I have to say knowing how to drive offroad will get you further and in less trouble then putting alot of money in mods.

My GF's YJ has 30 inch tires on it and it is more then able to go up most trails.
kphimself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 04:26 AM   #56
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm happy with the 30" I have now but I think I want like a 2" lift. Just to give a little more movement over rocks and logs and what not.
remember that a suspension lift WILL ONLY increase your ride height. If your tires stay the same size, your ground clearance stays the same (the axles will still be the same height off the ground, but this is why you tackle large obstacles with your tires directly, never putting the obstacle directly underneath you aned between the tires)

a 3" lift will give you a decent lift to start off with, you can even look into new shackles along with that lift, but dont gove over 1" of shackle lift i heard it creates alot of body roll thats just what i heard tho (i have 5/8" booms on the way right now hopefully get them this week) (trust me you think thats all you need, until 3 months later your looking into 4" lifts and new shackles (leaf springs only)) that wil allow you to get some 31"s stuffed under there, and if you get new fender flares and do a little trimming you can easily get 33's stuffed into there
Unread 08-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #57
WW2Cool
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphimself
check out meetup.com, you may find a local club on there. Like a few people have said jeepers are very friendly people, don't be afraid to ask where they wheel and if they belong to a club. Heck you could always start your own club.

A lesson I learned the hard way is "plan your build and build your plan". Hit a tail with a group, follow a skilled driver in a more built up jeep, learn what yours can do and how to do it, find out what you want it to be able to do and make a list of what you need to get it there. Keep in mind every upgrade you make effects other things. I have to say knowing how to drive offroad will get you further and in less trouble then putting alot of money in mods.

My GF's YJ has 30 inch tires on it and it is more then able to go up most trails.
Like I said I'm happy with my 30" I just want a little lift so they can move more without rubbing the fenders. As far as suspension I'm happy I just wish I had a little more power. That 4 cyl is great but a six would b nice. I find times were she just can't get over the obstacle simply because the don't have the weight to keep traction and a lift and tires and bigger engine will add weight. But I need the bigger engine to move the added weight. It's a double edge sword.
Unread 08-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #58
Jarred2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have 30's on my yj and ran that stock for a while with no rubbing. Just put on a 2.5' lift and I can get alot more articulation off road. It helps out alot. I'll prolly end up putting 31's on with an added 1' bl.
She lets me ride her whenever i want. I buy her shiny things all the time. Give her a kiss and hug every morning and night. Think about her all day and dream about her at night. We have the perfect relationship. Me and my jeep that is.

The way I see it, a Jeep is like sex-when it's good it's terrific, and when it's bad it's still pretty good!

Semper Fidelis
Jarred2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #59
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, with a 30, or 31" tire you should be fine, just put some gear in it (4:56) and the 4.0 tb, spacer, intake, header and efan. It will make a big difference. A 2" lift will help with clearence, you should be set. I've had a few 4 cylinder jeeps over the years and enjoyed them very much. With good gears they will climb tree's off road and open the engine a little to let it breath and there not bad on the road either.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #60
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Like I said I'm happy with my 30" I just want a little lift so they can move more without rubbing the fenders. As far as suspension I'm happy I just wish I had a little more power. That 4 cyl is great but a six would b nice. I find times were she just can't get over the obstacle simply because the don't have the weight to keep traction and a lift and tires and bigger engine will add weight. But I need the bigger engine to move the added weight. It's a double edge sword.
Like you say, it is indeed a double edge sword. *EVERYTHING* about building a vehicle is a compromise, to get the best all-around result. So the way I see it, It's a matter of learning which compromises you have to make. And then making the best compromise for each one. It's really a balancing act. It helps a LOT if you have a very clear goal in mind, an Idea of what you want in detail.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.