How can i get more power? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How can i get more power?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #31
WW2Cool
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ya I was thinkin bout those fans. But do they really work? I can't spend money on somethin that's a fake.

WW2Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #32
WW2Cool
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ya I was thinkin bout those fans. But do they really work? I can't spend money on somethin that's a fake.
Unread 08-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #33
kphimself
2006 TJ Wrangler 

A fan will cut down on parasitic power loss. I run them on my gas sucking V8's and they cool them plenty. Now that being said a fan is electric, Jeeps like to play in water and those sometimes don't go together so make you connections very water tight. shrink wrap everything.
kphimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 12:33 AM   #34
WW2Cool
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well guess it's worth a shot. Im Gona make that thing a sub on wheels. I'm Gina make the engine watertight and give it a snorkel.
Unread 08-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #35
kphimself
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Has it had a tune up done lately? Im sure a new cap, rotor, plugs and wires wouldn't hurt. It won't help much either but its something. Guys that build race engines spend thousands of dollars to get just a few more horsepower out of them, if you can get 3hp for the price of a tune up your doing alright.
Enjoy your jeep for what it is, I'm sure most of us on here would of loved to of had a jeep at your age regardless of engine size. Besides most chicks don't know or care about horsepower they just pretend to. Heck you could just put a cherry bomb on it and people will think it has power becouse its loud.
kphimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 05:56 AM   #36
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphimself View Post
Has it had a tune up done lately? Im sure a new cap, rotor, plugs and wires wouldn't hurt. It won't help much either but its something. Guys that build race engines spend thousands of dollars to get just a few more horsepower out of them, if you can get 3hp for the price of a tune up your doing alright.
Enjoy your jeep for what it is, I'm sure most of us on here would of loved to of had a jeep at your age regardless of engine size. Besides most chicks don't know or care about horsepower they just pretend to. Heck you could just put a cherry bomb on it and people will think it has power becouse its loud.
^^^ X2 on the tune-up. Its one of the best things I ever did for mine. It'll last a lot better and that means a lot because you paid good money for it. I put all new oil and air filters, plugs, cap, rotor, and wires along with all new oil and anti-freeze and timing and hoses. Along with a sea-foam engine treatment. Best thing I ever did, was stick to the basics. Nope its not real fast but its 20 yrs old and it runs like new.

Yeah the electric fan is known to work, especially on the highway, that trick has been around for yrs. Given your situation I would say the tune-up and re-gear is a step in the right direction. Um sorry about that, I was feeling kinda pissy last night - I get a lot of heat for being so slow.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #37
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW2Cool View Post
Well guess it's worth a shot. Im Gona make that thing a sub on wheels. I'm Gina make the engine watertight and give it a snorkel.
you are kinda all over the place with what you want to do, and you know it. Best advice I can give you.... don't do anything to the jeep. At least not now. Hang around JF, read through peoples build threads. Read through some of the problem solving threads. Just wait a few months and read JF a couple times a week or daily. It's tough to pick a direction to take a jeep when you don't know and understand your options. Especially at 16 with a tight budget. Enjoy your jeep the way it is and every time you think about putting $20, $40 or $100 bucks into it... stuff that money in an envelop and wait. In 6 months or a year you can have the cash to grab a lift kit or a larger tire, etc..

wait until you have settled on a plan. if you don't one day you might look at your jeep and think...I put $1200 into this over the last year and I could have had what I really wanted if I was pacient.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #38
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
On the topic of speeding I'm more of the crusin at 50 look at my jeep hey baby u want a ride type of country boy. If u wana pass me b my guest life ain't a race and I have nothin to prove to anyone. I enjoy just cruising in my jeep. I'd love to do a ton more wheeling but like I said above I dont have anyone to go with and I can't afford to get stuck.
Yep I hear ya. It took me a while to pick up on that LOL guess I was slow by 20 yrs. But yeah the jeep totally changed my life and the way I look at things. Yeah I can't afford to get stuck at all either, or else i gotta pull myself out most likely at 3 AM way my luck goes.
Unread 08-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #39
WW2Cool
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Im not really impatient I just get bored and come up with crazy ideas to make my jeep unique. But in the end I stuff the money away. Hopefully as soon as I pay off the loan I can get as straight six or somethin. Might just by one without an engine and stuff a hemi in it. How many ppl can say there jeep has a hemi. I'm gona b one of the few. I probably won't get to that till im out of the service tho. I can't believe I sign in exactly a month.
Unread 08-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #40
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Im not really impatient I just get bored and come up with crazy ideas to make my jeep unique. But in the end I stuff the money away. Hopefully as soon as I pay off the loan I can get as straight six or somethin. Might just by one without an engine and stuff a hemi in it. How many ppl can say there jeep has a hemi. I'm gona b one of the few. I probably won't get to that till im out of the service tho. I can't believe I sign in exactly a month.
Yeah there's a couple guys around here that did that. They're kinda insane and rich tho. Few of them stuffed LT-1 corvette engines into it after doing everything else. Maverick comes to mind. Even with that kinda money and time, it takes years to really do the job right.

You're doing way better than I did way back then - I used to dump everything into my heep without saving much.
Unread 08-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #41
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm another old-timer on here with a 2.5. It's a tough little engine, but it's no tire burner, by far. My suggestion is to do the tune-up and do the electric fan install. Then learn to drive it. Not trying to be insulting, but driving on and off road is not an innate, God given ability. When you learn to follow the "big" boys with the built Jeeps by having the judgment to know when you can and can't, yer gettin' there. I'm 69 and I'm still "gittin' there"- was "schooled" by a 75 yo gentleman this past weekend. Join a family oriented club- you can learn thru the experience of others and have fun doing it. You should also be able to get some help from the old timers and maybe find some real deals on used parts. Family oriented generally means that there will be less pressure to go beyond your means and ability. Whatever you do, remember that it's about good fun, great friendships, and living your life.

I've done bodywork useing a winch, a tree, a prybar, and a BFH!

Now, my wild oats have turned to prune juice and all-bran...
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #42
Jarred2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i agree with the above posts. i was in the same situation as you. bought my jeep at 15 completley stock with 4 different tires on it. i fixed what NEEDED to be taken care of and did a tune up and oil change and drove it until more money came along. then went to 30' bfg a/t's, and i just now at 19 put on a 2.5' lift and soon to be 32's with a 1' body lift. point is, its going to take time to get it there. thats with almost everyones build up. dont waste ur time with the crap thats out there for the 2.5. i have a 95 yj and i have a magnaflow exhaust, tune up, custom air intake design and a realistic mindset to just cruize the streets. learn the ropes of driving it and get a good set of tires and youll be set up for success. good luck
Jarred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:30 AM   #43
WW2Cool
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thx y'all. And line u said learn from others. The problem is I can't find anyone around here that is into jeeps let alone willin to take the time to go crawlin, cruisin or even sit and talk with some 16 year old kid. I live in north east iowa. If anyone is from near the area let me kno.
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:30 AM   #44
WW2Cool
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry. I ment like.
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #45
R3V413
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Have you taken a look at the "Clubs" part of the Forum? From there you can choose your state and see what Jeep Clubs are in your state by thier city location. Take a look and if you find one thats in your local area, join it if you can, and there you go.
R3V413 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.