How can i get more power? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How can i get more power?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 08-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #16
Dlambright
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you are running the factory air box there are 2 restrictions in it you can pull out. 1st one is the cone where the air enters the box, 2nd is where the tube to the throttle body connects to the air box, pull that cone out as well. You can try a throttle boby spacer, some say it doesnt help, i noticed a little bit of an improvement with mine. A k&n filter, and a better cat back exhaust is about all you can do to a 2.5. You will get good results just by unrestricting your air box. Stay away from the gimmics, better sensors, ign. coils, chips they wont give you anything on a 2.5.

Dlambright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #17
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This falls under the same catagory as the "Adding extra track bars to my 94" thread

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #18
JLRock
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dont the 4cly engines come with 4.10 Gear ratio ??????
JLRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #19
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This is my 2.5 extra power. Its called a 4.3

Unread 08-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #20
JLRock
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90 View Post
did you regear to 4.10? or thats what your 4cly came with?
JLRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #21
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90 View Post
It looks like your Jeep just puked that out

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #22
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRock View Post
did you regear to 4.10? or thats what your 4cly came with?
4.10s now with a 8.8

Unread 08-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #23
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW2Cool View Post
I have a stock 91 with a 2.5 inline 4 cyl. I would rather not have to swap the engine is there any other way to affordably produce more power?
OK, I got the exact same thing. And I got ZERO money. Now I've been around the car scene a long time (mostly big chevys, I'm 44 yrs) but here is some advice:

Speed costs. How fast do you want to go?

Yeah you can hop up the 2.5 probably for a grand or so, depending if your motor is in good shape at all to begin with. You're probably better off with a motor swap tho if you're going to get into it that deep. One thing that is real popular is the chevy S-10 Blazer with the 4.3 liter.

If you can't do that then there are a few tricks but be aware that its never gonna be a barn burner. It just wasn't made to do that. One trick is to get the throttle body out of a 4.0 and put that on. Another trick is to get bigger fuel injectors out of a Ford Mustang 5.0. Third trick is to get some roller rockers (about $400) from Quadratec. Fourth trick is a hotter ignition system, a couple hundred from Firepower.

You might get another 20 HP after doing all that. Prolly run a bunch smoother and cooler. And eat your gas mileage too.

I've been out Iowa, how much time do you spend on the highway and around town as opposed to actually wheeling? You might want to re-gear to 4.56 but I wouldn't go much deeper than that unless you have crazy tires. Mainly because everybody goes like 100 out there.

Nope I'm not trying to be a jerk. But the fact is that I've been thru that and I'm trying to save you a bunch.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #24
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a stock 91 with a 2.5 inline 4 cyl. I would rather not have to swap the engine is there any other way to affordably produce more power?
No.

Quote:
I don't really have the tools to do any sort of fabricating or welding.
Quote:
Ok. Well I'm only 16
Do you have a friend, father, brother, uncle that has ever completed an engine swap and has the tools?

If you don't, and judging from your posts, an engine swap is over your head and will take much, much longer than you think it will. not insulting you here, we all start somewhere(see the quote in YJames90s post at the top of this page, same concept). now if you have access to a garage, all the tools, a second car, and a couple thousand bucks to play with then by all means, get after it

best bet is to locate a yj with a 4.0, second best bet is to locate on with a 4.2. sell yours and get it.
Poke is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #25
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm with Poke on this one.

Nobody here is gonna put you down but man you gotta be realistic. I understand how that is, and it can suck sometimes.

Fact is that the 2.5 was never meant to get any speed at all. Yeah you can do it but you're looking at spending a bunch... probably more than you paid for the whole jeep.

Thing is, the 2.5 (and jeeps in general) its basically just a tractor that happens to be legal for the road. You get one and expect to have it for the rest of your life, but only if you go slow. Because they will last like that.

Last time I was out in Iowa I had these guys in big dually's blowing me off like nothing. They had these big F-350's and Chevy 3500HD's. I was on the 380 north from I-80.

BUT here's the thing: Those trucks cost at least $50 K new from the dealer. And they get like 8 gallons to the mile when they nail it. So yeah the guy maybe laughing at you with his plastic balls on his trailer hitch but guess what, he's paying real big money for that.

So being that yer 16 and starting out, I would urge you to learn the basics and get reality. Nobody here is jumping on your stuff, just ask. Cuz hey I was there myself once.

EDIT for clarity: Yes in fact I DO have a lifetime of turning wrenches and welding and stuff... just sayin'
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #26
WW2Cool
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'll try a regear and see how it works. I'll probably add a cold air intake as well. I do want another jeep. I was hooked from the second I drove her home (I took the long long way). But untill I pay of the loan for this one im kind of stuck. Im thinkin I'll keep it even if I get somethin bigger it's in too hood of condition to let go of. I wouldn't mind tryin to take her through some more challenging spots but I don't have anyone to go with and I don't have a winch so I can't really get into anything fun cus I can't afford to get stuck.
WW2Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #27
WW2Cool
1991 YJ Wrangler 

An like I said I'm 16 I got high hopes and a big dreams I ask questions cus it keeps me in check with reality and what is the smartest thing to do. Unfortunately I'm the only one in my family who is into mechanics and cars. Dad split when I was 3 and my step dad took all the tools when mom divorced him. Its just me my sis and mom so all I got is what I can afford and that ain't much as I'm a full tone student makin a car payment and full insurance payment. I do plan on goin to college to get my degree in auto tech. But that's a few years off. Thx again to everyone who posted I do take the time to read them all and it helps me a lot.
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #28
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll try a regear and see how it works. I'll probably add a cold air intake as well. I do want another jeep. I was hooked from the second I drove her home (I took the long long way). But untill I pay of the loan for this one im kind of stuck. Im thinkin I'll keep it even if I get somethin bigger it's in too hood of condition to let go of. I wouldn't mind tryin to take her through some more challenging spots but I don't have anyone to go with and I don't have a winch so I can't really get into anything fun cus I can't afford to get stuck.
Yeah I hear ya, pretty much in the same boat here. I have to DD (daily drive) mine because its the only thing quite literally. A re-gear maybe the best for you especially if you can do any work yourself. Even with that its kinda expensive. Don't try to fool yourself tho cuz you are never going to get any real balls out of the 2.5 - its a work horse and not a race horse. If you can afford parts then its gonna eat gas or vice versa. I think you are on the right track tho overall. Loans absolutely suck just ask me how I know. Get that thing paid off ASAP. Bummer I can't help you with wheeling out there but we got plenty of snow up here.
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #29
WW2Cool
1991 YJ Wrangler 

On the topic of speeding I'm more of the crusin at 50 look at my jeep hey baby u want a ride type of country boy. If u wana pass me b my guest life ain't a race and I have nothin to prove to anyone. I enjoy just cruising in my jeep. I'd love to do a ton more wheeling but like I said above I dont have anyone to go with and I can't afford to get stuck.
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #30
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Gears > Every Bolt On ( Header, TB, TB Spacer, Electric Fan, Catback, Injectors)

I spent all the money on Bolts ons before I regeared my TJ, on my YJ I regeared it First then added a catback and electric fan

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.