How can i get more power? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How can i get more power?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-04-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
WW2Cool
1991 YJ Wrangler 

How can i get more power?

I have a stock 91 with a 2.5 inline 4 cyl. I would rather not have to swap the engine is there any other way to affordably produce more power?

WW2Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
jeepdude1987
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Affordable and more power don't even really go in the same sentence well together. Do you have a more quantitative way of describing "affordable" as in a price or something?

With steeper gear ratios your rig will feel like it has more power because it will rev higher and be more in the I-4 power band. Other than that your better options are probably going to involve a swap to get a real power increase.
jeepdude1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
WW2Cool
1991 YJ Wrangler 

How bout a turbo or super charger? An if not what would u recommend I swap for. And i6 or somethin bigger? And what takes the least modification. I don't really have the tools to do any sort of fabricating or welding.
Unread 08-04-2011, 01:09 AM   #4
jeepdude1987
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Is your Jeep a toy, or a DD? And, how much time and money are you looking to spend? If your already talking forced induction your definition of cheap isn't the same as mine, and your probably looking for more power than the 2.5 will probably put out.

I am not an expert on the swaps, but from what I understand the easiest would probably be a 4.0 swap. If you know anything about building motors you could do stroke out a 4.0 to 4.5 which gets something like 50 more horses out of it from what I have read, and depending on how much you want to spend you can get all the way up to 5.0L and 300+hp&lbs/ft. The basic stroker could be dome with mostly factory 4.0 and 4.2 parts and can be fairly inexpensive. I would try googling and/or using the search feature to find out about them if your interested.
Unread 08-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
jeepdude1987
1987 YJ Wrangler 

A quick google search showed http://www.avengersuperchargers.com/ Their kit cost $4K and I am not sure if that is with or with out the installation.
Unread 08-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
WW2Cool
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. Well I'm only 16 so I ask a lot of questions a throw out ideas to get feed back. I find this saves me a lot of time headaches and money. thx for ur help. I think I found an engine to swap it out for.
Unread 08-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #7
Newb1995jeepgc

If you have bigger tires and lift then go for the regear.. works great for everyone on this forum. Dont think you need extra power being in Iowa.. its all flat there. lol

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6- 133***
Newb1995jeepgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #8
Newb1995jeepgc

Go for a regear even if you decide to swap motors.. make it feel even more powerful.

Unread 08-04-2011, 01:30 AM   #9
WW2Cool
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I live in north east Iowa the one part of the state that's all valleys and bluffs.
Unread 08-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #10
Newb1995jeepgc

aww ok i spend sometime alot in southern iowa in washington idk if you know where that is because no one ever does most of the time i explain it hahah

Unread 08-04-2011, 01:44 AM   #11
kphimself
2006 TJ Wrangler 

There is alot that goes into an engine swap. I never did one on a jeep but i did one on a 68 mustang and there is much more to it then what you think. You need to look into things like wiring harness, radiator, tranny, linkages, motor mounts, fuel lines, the vacum system, exhust ect... Like i said never did it to a jeep but its never as simple as it sounds, trust me. Take your time, do alot of research, ask alot of questions to people that have done things like that.
Gears are a good start and maybe a cold air intake system and some exhust will help a bit but there is only so much you can get out of an engine. For the price of a super charger im sure you could just buy another jeep with a 4.0L. Sorry if i came off as a buzz kill, just don't want to see someone jump into something and get over there head.
kphimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #12
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

a 2.5l and extra power go together like a delorian and time travel. lots of people dream of both, but it's just not going to happen. your probably looking at a re-gear as stated above. not adding power but changing where the power band is.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 01:50 AM   #13
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphimself View Post
There is alot that goes into an engine swap. I never did one on a jeep but i did one on a 68 mustang and there is much more to it then what you think. You need to look into things like wiring harness, radiator, tranny, linkages, motor mounts, fuel lines, the vacum system, exhust ect... Like i said never did it to a jeep but its never as simple as it sounds, trust me. Take your time, do alot of research, ask alot of questions to people that have done things like that.
Gears are a good start and maybe a cold air intake system and some exhust will help a bit but there is only so much you can get out of an engine. For the price of a super charger im sure you could just buy another jeep with a 4.0L. Sorry if i came off as a buzz kill, just don't want to see someone jump into something and get over there head.
from experience... anyone who tells you motor swaps are a breeze, has got to be a wiring genius. my 5.2 will move my yj, but the exhaust routing took me awhile to figure out. you have to plan the entire build out before you start. i realize that going from one stock motor to another would be less troublesome than a v8 swap but like kp said it's a very involved and possibly expensive process.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 01:54 AM   #14
jeepdude1987
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphimself View Post

This guy is correct as far as engine swaps go. You have to have all your ducks in a row, and especially so with fuel-injection. Although there when your in over your head you only have two options really, learn how to swim or give up! If you are knowledgeable about mechanics and such there is more than enough info on this sight to get you through just about any swap, and if you try something too crazy these guys will probably tell you to go ask some of the real 4x4 loco's at Pirate4x4. Those guys are just about insane, and know way more about building rigs than can be healthy!

A swap will be expensive, but not as expensive as the turbo kit. Also, maybe start out with the larger gear ratios and see how you like the Jeep after that.
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #15
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

A 2.5 is a good starter Jeep to see if you really like that kind of vehicle.

As you have decided Jeeps are for you, sell your starter Jeep and BUY something with a bigger engine. You will be several thousand dollars to the good going this way.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.