How to adjust TPS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to adjust TPS

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-09-2005, 10:01 AM   #1
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How to adjust TPS

I made the mistake 5 yrs ago when i was stupid to take my jeep to pepboys to have it checked out before i bought it. Knowing better now. i am still trying to fix a problem that they caused. When they were checking it they decided that it was ideling to high so they adjusted the tps to lower the idel. Little did they know that it was ideling to high because of a leaking exhaust manifold. Anyhow. I need to get this thing into proper adjustment. Anyone know how to?

Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 10:10 AM   #2
paintguy

year and engine? either way -- it is MPI -- I would take the TPS off the throttle body and there should be a shaft that slides into the throttle body (connected to the TPS) -- I believe by rotating the shaft it will either increase or decrease the idle -- which way does what, I don't know.
paintguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 11:08 AM   #3
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry, it's a 90' 2.5l.

There is a bolt in the top of the shaft that can be turned up or down.
From my understanding it is adjusted at the plant and you are not suppost to touch it. So i'm sure there is a specific point it is supposed to be at so that the computer "knows" where the throttle is. If it is moved the computer no longer "knows" where the throttle is. I think?
Unread 08-09-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

I believe there are 2 ways of adjusting the idle (or that I know of - someone can/will correct me if I'm wrong)

TPS - which should be a little black box on the throttle body. It will probably have several bolts (I know my Festiva has 2, havent looked at the Jeeps yet) that will loosen it and allow that to turn. Turning it will turn the adjustment screw that paintguy was talking about.

Idle screw itself - which should also be located on the throttle body. There is probably a plastic cap over it and that will again turn either way with a screwdriver to adjust the idle.

These were the ways that I was able to adjust the idle on my Festiva.
Unread 08-09-2005, 11:39 AM   #5
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i'm not trying to adjust teh idel i'm trying to correct a start up problem with te engine reveingto high. I think it is being caused by an improberly adjusted tps.
Unread 08-09-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

So once the engine is started and running, it idles normal?
Unread 08-09-2005, 11:47 AM   #7
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

When i start it it will rev up to 2000 rpm's and it sometimes stay there for 5-10 minutes. Sometimes it will come back down to 1000 - 800.
Unread 08-09-2005, 11:51 AM   #8
ncjeepinyj

Im not familar with how a 90 model is set up but it sounds like it might be the ISA (idle speed actuator you need to adjust or replace. I know when i swapped out the throttle body on my 95 it would idle high because i didnt swap out the idle speed stepper motor on mine. I believe that is what they started calling it in the MPI motors.
ncjeepinyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 11:52 AM   #9
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

is that i the throttle body? Any other sensors it could be?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.