horn relay help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > horn relay help

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 05-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yep that was the next step. jumper power to the relay from the ignition switch

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I posted a pic numbered. use the numbers.
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
91blackyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know where on the steering column the horn switch is located?
91blackyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #19
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...works-1087274/
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #20
91blackyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you that was helpful but I was more looking were on the bottom of the steering column were the wiring connectors the horn is. I was gonna trouble shoot from there befor taking steering wheel apart
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #21
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

did you check power at the relay? The switch on the column should just supply ground.
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
91blackyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly haven't had time between work and what not. I was gonna continuity test it to eliminate it as the column. I just wanted all the info so when I do find time I can get it all done
Unread 05-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #23
Braindeadly
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just for shifts and giggles, try grounding the steering shaft in the engine compartment with a piece of wire to a good ground or the battery ground. Then try the horn.
Braindeadly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #24
91blackyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Checked my relay and between two terminals I have a little resistance between the other possible combinations I got ol. On the actual connector under the dash I read 12 between two connectors and 1.08-2v between another combo. Also tried jumping the wires between different combinations horn didn't sound. I also do have rust on the ground terminal to the horn itself. I will try again tomorrow on lunch to get more measurements.
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #25
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you jumpered power to pin 87 and the horn didnt sound then you have an open on the wire to the horn itself. Read the resistance from pin 87 to the horn wire and see what you get. Also is the new horn a 2 wire or 1 wire setup? The 1 wire requires a ground by mounting through the assemble to common the grounds. If it is a 2 wire setup then you need to ground the ground wire to the chasis.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.