horn not working (short circuit) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > horn not working (short circuit)

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippOur 2014 DynoMax mail-in rebate March1- June 30th is here!OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 06-09-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
neil03

horn not working (short circuit)

I recently removed my steering wheel in order to put a new dash in on a 92 yj. When i put the steering wheel back on the horn worked for a second then blew. It would work but only for a second. I checked the reinstallation of the parts i took off with another jeep and it was the same, however I figure i have a short circuit somewhere, but i am unable to access the electrical components of the steering column. please help

neil03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
mYJ

When I changed my steering wheel I accidently popped the horn fuse under the hood. Its in the relay box next to the battery, check there too.

[SIZE=1]92 YJ 2.5, OME, Flat Fendered, 31" Big O XTs, Crager Soft 8s, Posi-Lok, no sway/track bars, Exide Orbital, K&N, 4.0 TB & TBS, Mopar Performance Cam, Glass pack & Hi-Flow cat, Grant GT Removable Wheel, Tuffy Console, Other Stuff.[/SIZE]
[FONT=Impact][SIZE=2]Black JeepClub V2.0 #33[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma] - Me & Roy[/FONT]
mYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
neil03

horn fuse

I checked the fuse and it was blown. however whenever i put a new fuse in it keeps blowing. i checked the circuit with an ammeter and there is 17 amps of current running through it.
i looked at the wiring and beneath the fuse box but i have no idea what to look for.
Unread 06-09-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
bcshepard

go out and get a horn from a bus or MAC truck and wire yourself a pull wire across your roll cage.
bcshepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
ecvjohn

If it was working good before you worked on it, it would almost have to be something you did.

Pull the wheel and check all visible wiring for pinches, bare spots and such.

Do you have 17 amps all the time or just when the button is pressed?

99 Ram quad cab
ecvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2005, 08:37 PM   #6
neil03

Yeah i keep getting 17 amps of current running through the fuse, but its a 10amp fuse. have you seen this before?
Unread 06-11-2005, 09:16 PM   #7
j-man

thats because it's shorted. youre getting current from somewhere other than its intended source. this is the exact reason my dash lights dont work when i put my lights on. if i put the 10 amp fuse in the dash fuse slot, it blows. 20 amp fuse and it blows the next fuse in line for some reason. jeeps are freakin weird.
pioneer cd deck, sony xplode speakers
cragar rims/30" continental

soon to come:
2.5 spring lift
1" body
31" tires (i like fender clearance :) )

[COLOR=Red]Red Jeep Club #297[/COLOR]
j-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2005, 01:38 PM   #8
neil03

how did you fix it then????
i checked the wiring to the firewall and it seems fine, but i can't get access to the steering column to check the wiring in there.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.