Horn blows when it wants - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Horn blows when it wants

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Horn blows when it wants

I searched 6 pages of threads with the word "horn" it them and couldn't find anything close to my new problem.

My daughter came home and said "dad, my horn just went off without warning when I was driving home" I said "did you push it to make it stop?" and she said "no, it just stopped by itself after a few seconds".

So I passed it off as one of those things that just happens every now and then but...

We came home this evening after being out and the Jeep was just sitting there in the driveway with the horn blaring away. I don't know how long it was doing it but it couldn't have been too long because the battery was fine and the neighbors weren't out in the street gawking and now cops.

It's a 95 with an all stock steering wheel and horn. Any ideas what would make it just go off? All I had to do to get it to stop was press the horn. It seemed to have plenty of play at the button and I took the cover off and couldn't see anything broke or amiss.

I am at a loss.

Any ideas?

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
E5E
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was doing the same thing. I took it apart and noticed one of the spokes on the steering wheel was cracked and causing it to flex and make contact.
[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #380[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
E5E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
bc yj'er
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Try hitting the steering wheel with your hands to make it shake, see if it goes off. I had a similar problem with my XJ, (under the horn cover) the three screws that held down the green plastic ring were loose, causing the metal dome (popper for lack of better term) to bounce around and ground out.
Unread 06-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

X3^^^^ Had the same problem with the same cause.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

my 90 had the same issue. I don't know what your steering wheel looks like but mine had a center button (no airbag) I pulled on it and found out the flat spring in the center of the steering wheel broke and the two contacts could touch given the right angle and phase of the moon. It was an easy fix.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
bword

pull off the rubber cover and take out the 3 screws and youll see a little nub sticking out underthat is a small spacer and under that is a tiny spring. If u dont see the spring its possible that its bouncing around in there grounding itself out causing the horn to go off randomly.
Unread 06-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
my 90 had the same issue. I don't know what your steering wheel looks like but mine had a center button (no airbag) I pulled on it and found out the flat spring in the center of the steering wheel broke and the two contacts could touch given the right angle and phase of the moon. It was an easy fix.
I would say the look the same. IIRC air bags didn't come in until the 97 TJ's. I will take a look at this tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bword View Post
pull off the rubber cover and take out the 3 screws and you'll see a little nub sticking out under that is a small spacer and under that is a tiny spring. If u don't see the spring its possible that its bouncing around in there grounding itself out causing the horn to go off randomly.
I am not sure what spring you are referring to. Do you have a picture?

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
bword

ill try to get a pic tommorow
Unread 06-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
None of us had airbags, yo'.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't think any YJs did. Just using the airbag thing as an size indicator. Never sat in anything yj newer than mine and didn't know if there were plastic covered spokes on the stock wheel .
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #11
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I didn't think any YJs did. Just using the airbag thing as an size indicator. Never sat in anything yj newer than mine and didn't know if there were plastic covered spokes on the stock wheel .
Airbags were not standard on YJ's. Although they MIGHT have been an option in 95.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.