Hood scoops worth the money? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hood scoops worth the money?

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 11-20-2007, 06:03 PM   #31
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

hmmmmmmmmmm.......

Last edited by FunkSkunk; 11-20-2007 at 06:21 PM..
FunkSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2007, 06:10 PM   #32
FunkSkunk

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well mine leaks all over the dang place! Not bad, but it is a pretty constant drip, especially when it's raining. I've replaced the windshield cowl and I just checked my hood vent thingy and hose and theres NOTHING in there! I was soooo hoping that there was going to be a bunch of sticks and leaves but there alas is nothing. ugh! I did notice something interesting though... The flap for the vent is in the under the hood grill and it is on the driver's side. Now the weird part was that when "closed" on the switch the vent door was still open about 1/2" or so, is that supposed to be like that or should it be tight closed?? I'm really curious if that is where the water is getting in. And if it was would it be leaking all along the bottom of the dash? HELP! I'm Tired of Weet shins and rusty floors!!
Unread 11-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #33
FunkSkunk

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Found the below quote in another post on here, thought it would be useful...

Chances are pretty good that you should pull the heating system down, take it apart and reseal it.

There are 3 bolts that hold it on the firewall, you'll also have to disconnect the heater core, so drain about half your coolant first.

Taking out the passenger seat helps quite a bit with this.

Once you have it down on the floor, unscrew it, clean the halves well and then use generous amounts of black RTV between them. You'll notice that there is a hose that goes from a low spot on the heater assembly through the firewall and dumps out just under the battery tray on a YJ. If this is cracked, missing or cloged, you'll get water in your PASSENGER footwell.

If you're getting water everywhere, check to see if it's leaking out of the heater box, you'll see drips of water along the seam.
Unread 11-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #34
cosminciortan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestos
word, i am on it this week. I am growing tired of water in my floor mats everytime it rains!
same problem here. i pulled my carpets. still wet floor, pulled my plugs as well. works great
cosminciortan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #35
trailsnail
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I did the water hose test on Sunday and believe that I have found the problem on mine. I ran water down the vent in the top of the hood and water ran through there with out issue. So I moved up higher on to the windshield and allowed water to run under the seal that covers the windshield at the bottom. After a minute water started to drip from under my dash. Don't have time to replace the seal right now so I got some RTV type sealant. I am going to give it a shot and see what happens.
Unread 11-20-2007, 11:33 PM   #36
FunkSkunk

1992 YJ Wrangler 

that bugs the Heck out of me because I have replaced that cowl seal and it's still leaking!? ugh
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:58 PM   #37
FunkSkunk

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestos
OK - JUST bought the HOOD Scoop - I CANt run it backwards because the Windshield Washer squirters in the way. what did you guys do to get it on in the backwards position...??

I just purchased mine and I have the same dilemma, did you guys purchase the clear-ish smoke colored one from quadratec of did you get a different model? The smoke colored one I bought and it only attaches with adhesive sticker and no bolt holes. It actually goes around the vent grill not on top of it! WTF? I'm clueless, somebody clue me in so I can send back that scoop to Quadratec before it's too late.

*the only way I can see to run it backwards is to notch out the scoop base to fit around the windshield washers, but everyone else seems to have bolted their's on so I don't think I got the right one! HELP!

SO WHICH ONE???????
Mine --> http://www.quadratec.com/products/13006_11.htm
and the other one --> http://www.quadratec.com/products/13006_12.htm

THANKS GUYS!
Unread 12-05-2007, 06:20 PM   #38
swedishdwarf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have "the other one." It installed in ninety seconds right over top of the stock grill, facing backwards. It's invaluable if you don't have ac.
Unread 12-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #39
FunkSkunk

1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 12-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #40
97MilitaryTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Okey I'm too... Only problem is that I own a 97 TJ and they skip my year? What's up with that? Is there something different? Will another year work?
97MilitaryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 06:54 PM   #41
Tritonman
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkSkunk
I just purchased mine and I have the same dilemma, did you guys purchase the clear-ish smoke colored one from quadratec of did you get a different model? The smoke colored one I bought and it only attaches with adhesive sticker and no bolt holes. It actually goes around the vent grill not on top of it! WTF? I'm clueless, somebody clue me in so I can send back that scoop to Quadratec before it's too late.

*the only way I can see to run it backwards is to notch out the scoop base to fit around the windshield washers, but everyone else seems to have bolted their's on so I don't think I got the right one! HELP!

SO WHICH ONE???????
and the other one --> http://www.quadratec.com/products/13006_12.htm

THANKS GUYS!
Same thing with me as well..im just going to notch it out carefully with a utility knife..not worth sending it back imo.
Tritonman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 10:36 PM   #42
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkSkunk
that bugs the Heck out of me because I have replaced that cowl seal and it's still leaking!? ugh
i did the same thing. brand new seal and it still leaked. after looking everywhere for where the water was getting in i said the hell with it and dropped the windshield again and RTV'ed the seal. I'd have sworn up and down that there was no way water could get by that seal, but i've been dry for months now. don't ask me why it wasn't sealing or how the water was getting around it, but it was, all along the bottom side of the seal where it meets the tub (the top half i RTV'ed from the outside). and yes, if it's leaking at the seal, the water will find its way to the bottom of the dash.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 06:31 AM   #43
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

saw that this thread was still going, so I figured I'd show what I've done for a hood/cowl scoop.

I didn't want to spend the $$ to buy one, so I just made my own scoop.
I started by making a cardboard template of what I wanted, then cut the shape out of a scrap piece of stainless sheet metal that I had, and bent it using a couple blocks of wood and a hammer.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...74_47_full.jpg

I haven't had a chance to drive with it on yet, but we did get a couple inches of snow on Tuesday night, and the scoop seemed to do a prety good job of keeping the snow out of the cowl grill.
muddy93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2007, 11:37 PM   #44
Mumachog

[QUOTE=FunkSkunk]
SO WHICH ONE???????
and the other one --> http://www.quadratec.com/products/13006_12.htmQUOTE]

Yeah I got "the other one". I was skeptical of the idea of taping a part onto the jeep, and it fits facing the windshield without interfering with anything.

And to update, Had a few rainstorms since putting on the hard top this winter and not a drop of water inside (yet). still suspicous of the soft top channell holes...
93 [COLOR="White"]YJ[/COLOR], 2.5L, 5spd, hard & soft tops, full doors, 2.5" procomp , 30" wal-mart ATs on AR tailgunners, 15-20 gas tank mod, CB (free), cheap front tube bumper , KC knockoff fog lights, tuffy console & trunk, badly done lined tub (PO)

Its all about cheap & free until I'm done with school.
Mumachog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2007, 07:48 AM   #45
OneLung
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I never thought about turning my hood scoop around to face the windshield (I'm blonde). Good idea. I'm going to go outside and turn mine around right now!

I knew there must be some practical reason I read this forum every morning!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.