Hood scoops worth the money? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hood scoops worth the money?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-12-2007, 04:01 PM   #16
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have one too. But you should not expect this to solve the water on the flloor issue. It won't.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #17
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i cleaned that as well, also cheak the weather strip on the bottom of the windshield they dry rot and let water in.
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
Barrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #18
Exparrot
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, after all the helpful insight, I decided to get one. I had $100 on a Q-Tec gift certificate, and I spent $99.96 (t-case shifter knob, Skyjacker steering stabilizer and the hood scoop), with shipping included. So, if someone needs 4 cents applied to an upcoming order, let me know
LO Jeep Club #111 [and not proud of it]
Red Jeep Club #MC399
Exparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #19
cooltc2004
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamato
I run one backwards as well. Lots of air, and it keeps the water out of my lap.
My question is this. Today I was driving home in the rain, and my left shin was getting wet. Is this a common thing? Is that where the water is initially coming from?
Unread 11-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #20
Exparrot
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's not from any problem that a hood scoop will fix. Probably a leak in the weatherstripping around the windshield or in the vent hose that has been mentioned a bunch of times in this thread.

I wasn't getting a hood scoop to keep water off me, I just wanted a little more wind with my heat in the winter...
LO Jeep Club #111 [and not proud of it]
Red Jeep Club #MC399
Exparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2007, 01:06 AM   #21
Jim Piszar
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My leak ended up being the cowl seal when I had that problem. I found it by running a hose over every metal to metal seam, starting at the bottom and slowly working my way up until water started running in. Since my Jeep is black, I bought some roofing sealer, the stuff they put around flashing and plumbing vent tubes. I ran a bead along the entire cowl seal (after cleaning it out really well) and ran my finger over it to smoothen it out. No more leak.

jim
Jim Piszar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2007, 01:24 AM   #22
jeep, jeep

I park most of the time under a huge cherry tree - lots of leaves, stems and pits to clog the vent. I too have been thinking about picking up this scoop.

Curious as to how well paint adheres to this material. Any one know 1st or 2nd hand? Anyone know a good spray paint match for jeep's red?

Could also use an improvement in air flow which this is supposed to enhance.
Unread 11-13-2007, 05:27 AM   #23
bestos
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i have cleaned the rubber tube, and a small amount of water is still there. my weatherstripping is old. I want the scoop for airfolw and to keep the 18" tube clean as well.

where would i get new weatherstriping? is there a thread on putting that on?
Unread 11-13-2007, 07:35 AM   #24
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestos
i have cleaned the rubber tube, and a small amount of water is still there. my weatherstripping is old. I want the scoop for airfolw and to keep the 18" tube clean as well.

where would i get new weatherstriping? is there a thread on putting that on?
you mean the cowl seal? quadratec or 4wd hardware.

to do it right you'll need to flip the windshield down (disconnect sport bars) and put the seal on... it attaches to the body via small screws. when installed the windshield being upright squeezes the seal for a tight fit. the hardest part i've found is getting the sports bar close enough to the windshield to screw the torx bolts in and snug everything up.
4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
bhartwell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2007, 07:30 AM   #25
bestos
1995 YJ Wrangler 

OK - JUST bought the HOOD Scoop - I CANt run it backwards because the Windshield Washer squirters in the way. what did you guys do to get it on in the backwards position...??
Unread 11-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #26
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Painting plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep, jeep
Curious as to how well paint adheres to this material. Any one know 1st or 2nd hand? Anyone know a good spray paint match for jeep's red?
Here's what ya do...using either 320 grit sandpaper wet, or red Scotchbrite dry, put some tooth on that plastic. Trot yourself down to your local auto body supply store, get either a rattle can or a pint/quart of Bulldog (if you are using HVLP equipment). This stuff is a flex/adhesion enhancer, works REAL well on plastic, flares, or when you shoot your hardtop. After you get good tooth, use a tack rag LIGHTLY and tack off the surface, then spray on a coupla decent coats of Bulldog...two coats are all that are necessary. Then shoot your color over that.

Now, about matching that paint...you're gonna have your new friends at the auto body supply store help you with that one...find the paint code on the vehicle...provide it to them and they can get you matching paint. Ya gotta keep in mind that new paint will never match aged paint, although there are some painters and paint mixers that can come within about 10%...

If you can't find the paint code, a lotta those supply stores can use their computer to shoot the surface your vehicle and it will come back with the proper code...failing that, the store will have a color chip book, and you can match the paint up to the year and make of your vehicle, and from there to the color chip.

Red is the worst of all colors in terms of fading, oxidyzing, and just plain wearing out. Don't expect miracles...also, it may be that your vehicle has been repainted previously and then all bets are off, you'll have to resort to the computer matching, or guess.

Many, but not all, autobody paint suppliers can package the proper color in rattle cans...BUT not just one, you're gonna have to buy multiple cans...which ain't a bad idea anyway, really..

Good luck
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #27
Mumachog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltc2004
My question is this. Today I was driving home in the rain, and my left shin was getting wet. Is this a common thing? Is that where the water is initially coming from?
I have the same problem. after its rained while I am parked, I get in and drive and the first right turn water pours out all over my left leg from the dash. Replaced cowl seal, cleaned drain hose from air box, got the hood scoop and run it backwards, still get soaked.

I have a theory that when it rains water gets in the windshield frame from the screw holes for the soft top channel. I think the windshield frame fills up with about a cup of water and it comes out where the torx bolts are that you have to remove to flip the windshield down. right above the speaker in the dash.

When I put my softop back on next spring I plan on putting some RTV or some kind of gasket around each screw hole before installing the channel. if that doesn't work... idk, maybe I'll hang a bucket from the ebrake handle to catch the water???
93 [COLOR="White"]YJ[/COLOR], 2.5L, 5spd, hard & soft tops, full doors, 2.5" procomp , 30" wal-mart ATs on AR tailgunners, 15-20 gas tank mod, CB (free), cheap front tube bumper , KC knockoff fog lights, tuffy console & trunk, badly done lined tub (PO)

Its all about cheap & free until I'm done with school.
Mumachog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #28
Tritonman
2011 JK Wrangler 

good thread..been considering getting one of those hoodscoops myself, after this reading, looks like i will
Tritonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2007, 10:42 PM   #29
trailsnail
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I also have a similar water issue, but mine comes from the center of the dash. I am going to clean everything out today and see what happens when I do the hose test. That is why my dash plate is all rusted out, especially in the top middle area of the plate so that the middle plate and screw are completely rusted out. Anyways, to the point, I have some metal screen under the vent cover to catch all those fall items. If something gets in there, I can remove the screws and either pick the stuff out or hit it with a shop vac.
Unread 11-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #30
Jeepin J-rod

My 93 yj also likes to soak my left leg. I used to have a soft top on it, and I siliconed the metal chanel to the windshield frame. The top never leaked water in, but everytime it would rain my leg would get soaked as soon as I turn the corner. Now I have a hard top on it, and it nice and sealed off along the windshield frame. Still leaks in water. So I don't believe the water is leafing around the screw holes in the top of the windshield frame. Also, I sealed up my rubber seal along the bottom the the windshield frame, and cleaned out the vent drain hose. Still leaks. I'm at a loss as to where it is coming from.
bds 1" heavy duty shackles
33x12.5 ProComp m/t's
15x8 mickey thompson Classic/II's
Alpine cd player
Cobra Cb radio
python alarm
K&N Filter
Custom Bumper
Rocker Guards
Jeepin J-rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.