Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hood scoops worth the money?

30K views 63 replies 40 participants last post by  cubewhiz 
#1 ·
Didn't find much in the search that would answer my questions...

How many of you run hood scoops or something close? See any noticable difference in how well your heater/vents work?

And if you do run them, do you have yours facing forwards or backwards (as 4WD.com suggests)?

Thanks! :cheers2:

#3 ·
Had one on my 90 YJ and it worked a bit better facing backward. Facing forward it would suck in snow etc. Didn't notice a big difference in temp of heat BUT, I did have alot more air come in. Also, prolly due to the lack of snow and ice in the vent.

#4 ·
Yeah, I have mine facing towards the windshield, tons more airflow while moving.

#6 ·
BlackRhino said:
You could almost make your own using a heat vent cover, one of those ones for directing air flow. I'm not sure if they're quite the right size though.
I did find something in the search about someone using one of those from Home Depot, don't know the specifics though...

I have some money left on a Q-Tec GC that I'm looking at getting rid of quickly, so money's not a concern for this.

Good responses, keep 'em coming!!!

#7 ·
I run one backwards as well. Lots of air, and it keeps the water out of my lap. :)

#11 ·
bestos said:
just saw it, so i would turn it around backwards? anyone paint their's or did they just keep it same color?
Have seen them painted. All you do is turn it around.

#15 ·
bestos said:
word, i am on it this week. I am growing tired of water in my floor mats everytime it rains!
Open your hood and look just to the left of the engine on the fire wall. You'll see a black rubber hose connected to the firewall. Its about a 2 inch hose about 18 inches long just hanging down. Take it off clean it out and re-install, Dry feet for awhile! This is the air box drain that you are talking about putting the hood scoop over and it clogs with leaves and crap. When it clogs you get wet carpets.

The scoop mounted with opening towards windshield is great. Huge increase in airflow.

#16 ·
I have one too. But you should not expect this to solve the water on the flloor issue. It won't.

#18 ·
Well, after all the helpful insight, I decided to get one. I had $100 on a Q-Tec gift certificate, and I spent $99.96 (t-case shifter knob, Skyjacker steering stabilizer and the hood scoop), with shipping included. So, if someone needs 4 cents applied to an upcoming order, let me know :thumbsup:

#20 ·
It's not from any problem that a hood scoop will fix. Probably a leak in the weatherstripping around the windshield or in the vent hose that has been mentioned a bunch of times in this thread.

I wasn't getting a hood scoop to keep water off me, I just wanted a little more wind with my heat in the winter...

#21 ·
My leak ended up being the cowl seal when I had that problem. I found it by running a hose over every metal to metal seam, starting at the bottom and slowly working my way up until water started running in. Since my Jeep is black, I bought some roofing sealer, the stuff they put around flashing and plumbing vent tubes. I ran a bead along the entire cowl seal (after cleaning it out really well) and ran my finger over it to smoothen it out. No more leak.

jim

#22 ·
I park most of the time under a huge cherry tree - lots of leaves, stems and pits to clog the vent. I too have been thinking about picking up this scoop.

Curious as to how well paint adheres to this material. Any one know 1st or 2nd hand? Anyone know a good spray paint match for jeep's red?

Could also use an improvement in air flow which this is supposed to enhance.

#23 ·
i have cleaned the rubber tube, and a small amount of water is still there. my weatherstripping is old. I want the scoop for airfolw and to keep the 18" tube clean as well.

where would i get new weatherstriping? is there a thread on putting that on?

#24 ·
bestos said:
i have cleaned the rubber tube, and a small amount of water is still there. my weatherstripping is old. I want the scoop for airfolw and to keep the 18" tube clean as well.

where would i get new weatherstriping? is there a thread on putting that on?
you mean the cowl seal? quadratec or 4wd hardware.

to do it right you'll need to flip the windshield down (disconnect sport bars) and put the seal on... it attaches to the body via small screws. when installed the windshield being upright squeezes the seal for a tight fit. the hardest part i've found is getting the sports bar close enough to the windshield to screw the torx bolts in and snug everything up.

#25 ·
OK - JUST bought the HOOD Scoop - I CANt run it backwards because the Windshield Washer squirters in the way. what did you guys do to get it on in the backwards position...??

#26 ·
Painting plastic

jeep said:
Curious as to how well paint adheres to this material. Any one know 1st or 2nd hand? Anyone know a good spray paint match for jeep's red?
Here's what ya do...using either 320 grit sandpaper wet, or red Scotchbrite dry, put some tooth on that plastic. Trot yourself down to your local auto body supply store, get either a rattle can or a pint/quart of Bulldog (if you are using HVLP equipment). This stuff is a flex/adhesion enhancer, works REAL well on plastic, flares, or when you shoot your hardtop. After you get good tooth, use a tack rag LIGHTLY and tack off the surface, then spray on a coupla decent coats of Bulldog...two coats are all that are necessary. Then shoot your color over that.

Now, about matching that paint...you're gonna have your new friends at the auto body supply store help you with that one...find the paint code on the vehicle...provide it to them and they can get you matching paint. Ya gotta keep in mind that new paint will never match aged paint, although there are some painters and paint mixers that can come within about 10%...

If you can't find the paint code, a lotta those supply stores can use their computer to shoot the surface your vehicle and it will come back with the proper code...failing that, the store will have a color chip book, and you can match the paint up to the year and make of your vehicle, and from there to the color chip.

Red is the worst of all colors in terms of fading, oxidyzing, and just plain wearing out. Don't expect miracles...also, it may be that your vehicle has been repainted previously and then all bets are off, you'll have to resort to the computer matching, or guess.

Many, but not all, autobody paint suppliers can package the proper color in rattle cans...BUT not just one, you're gonna have to buy multiple cans...which ain't a bad idea anyway, really..

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.