Hood latch stability - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hood latch stability

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
demonz0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hood latch stability

I noticed that at any speed over 80 km/h (50 mph) the hood bounces around when it's catching wind. Now I am afraid somehow that the hood will release and cause some serious danger/damage. They're tight but obviously not tight enough if its moving around.

It has the skinny hood latches from the earlier model YJs. I know there are thicker ones because thy were on before but rusted out.

image-1029442691.jpg  
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

As long as the center is locked it should be just fine. Have you considered changing out to the rugged ridge replacement side latches? How are the rubber standoffs that the hood sits on?
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
demonz0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well the center lock release before when the hood latch failed and caused all the damage to the hood. I have not looked into other replacement latches yet but am considering it now. The standoffs are are all in good shape.
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You need to replace the center latch, and I'll bet the rubber bumpers on top of the radiator support (that's what Anticanman was talking about) are less than half the original thickness. After replacing mine, I have to push down a bit on the center of the hood in order to get the center latch to move. They're cheap too like two bucks each or something.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
demonz0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You are right because the centre hood latch grabs and holds but is loose. The hooks hold it down but it still moves like a inch or less. Basically watching your good dance at 65 mph is not fun at all... Lol
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

When I get to 75mph crazy things happen the hood dances and the speedo broke so now it has to be driven under 75 because I think that is where it will stay together. I notice mine dances a lot after the trucks pass but other than that it is OK. Maybe an adjustment I have never looked at the center mechanism closley.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

100+ mph in mine, only problem at that speed is the wipers lift off the windshield! Hood stays put
blown50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown50 View Post
100+ mph in mine, only problem at that speed is the wipers lift off the windshield! Hood stays put

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown50 View Post
I'd like to call BS on this one. I've never seen a Jeep, much less a YJ, go over 100mph with stock components and since the poster doesn't have an info listed about their vehicle. I'm calling it ----- BS.

My hood used to bounce until I replaced the rubber feet that cushion the hood to the fenders.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My jeep can easily cruise 85 on a good flat road. But I have the 32RH.
Unread 02-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
I'd like to call BS on this one. I've never seen a Jeep, much less a YJ, go over 100mph with stock components and since the poster doesn't have an info listed about their vehicle. I'm calling it ----- BS.

My hood used to bounce until I replaced the rubber feet that cushion the hood to the fenders.
I hit 100 mph once. Stock 4.0. Stock ax-15. Massive tailwind.
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
Stingray427

Put some vents in your hood like I did to relieve the pressure:

Even lets some heat out.
photo-2.jpg  
Stingray427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray427 View Post
Put some vents in your hood like I did to relieve the pressure:

Even lets some heat out.
those vents look just like mine, I mounted them farther back tho. picked them up at a junk yard off a 280z. they do let a lot of heat out.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #14
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject

Mine is not stock, 287 CI stroker motor! Professionally tuned! U wanna drag?
blown50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
Stingray427

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
those vents look just like mine, I mounted them farther back tho. picked them up at a junk yard off a 280z. they do let a lot of heat out.
These are the Pontiac Grand Prix vents, bet those Z vents look sweet! Post some pics.

I moved them forward on mine since I was more concerned about hood lift than heat. They have completely eliminated any hood flutter and I like the way they look towards the front following the lines of the raised hood section.
Stingray427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.