Hood Catch Replacement Write-Up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hood Catch Replacement Write-Up

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hood Catch Replacement Write-Up

I ripped my passenger side hood catch off, on a tree, so I decided I'd take the time and do a simple write-up on how I replaced them.

The process is pretty simple, and if you own a jeep, you can do this without trouble.

Tools and Supplies Needed:
New Hood Catches: http://www.quadratec.com/products/13004_0402.htm
Vise Grips
Screwdriver(Phillips or Flat-Head with the Smittybilt's)
10mm Socket
7/16 Socket Deep-Well
3/8" Ratchet
3/8" Extension

Remove the old "T" part from the fender, 2. 7/16" nuts on the underside. Mine just kind of snapped off.

Remove the "U" part from the hood remove the 2, 7/16" nuts on the inside of the hood.

Reinstall the new "U" part with supplied hardware. Tighten by hand and then use the screwdriver to hold the screw and use the 10mm socket and ratchet to tighten down, snug.

Reinstall the new "T" part with supplied hardware. Tighten by hand and then use the screwdriver to hold the screw in place and tighten snug with the 10mm socket and ratchet.

Make sure you do this to both sides and be sure everything is nice and snug.

Finished product:

I'm pleased with the look and function of these hood catches. They are easier to put latch them with one hand and don't screech every time I move them up and down. I recommend these to anyone that needs new ones.

You can also use a 7/16" and 10mm wrench instead of a socket if you want, it's just a little more tight under the fender with a wrench.

Hope this helps those new Jeepers with some quick fixes!

11' F250 - DD

1982 Toyota Pick-Up - Spray-On Yellow Rhino Lined - Chevrolet 305 H.O. - SM465 - NP208C - All-Pro Off Road 5" Springs - 35x15.50x15 Super Swampers
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for sharing the write-up and the pics. Some of the easier tasks are often overlooked on forums. That being said, go back under your hood and put some washers in.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Keep up the good work
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
Thanks for sharing the write-up and the pics. Some of the easier tasks are often overlooked on forums. That being said, go back under your hood and put some washers in.
I wish they would have provided washers. I'll run to Lowe's a pick some up the next time I'm there

11' F250 - DD

1982 Toyota Pick-Up - Spray-On Yellow Rhino Lined - Chevrolet 305 H.O. - SM465 - NP208C - All-Pro Off Road 5" Springs - 35x15.50x15 Super Swampers
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Keep up the good work
Thanks for the kind words

11' F250 - DD

Unread 02-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
jonothehut
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the write up. I've been wondering how to do this lately. Will change my rusty ones soon.
jonothehut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonothehut View Post
Thanks for the write up. I've been wondering how to do this lately. Will change my rusty ones soon.
Glad it helped! Let me know if you have questions! Good luck!

11' F250 - DD

Unread 03-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
jonothehut
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Finally did this yesterday. So easy and looks so much better.
Unread 03-17-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is definitely on my t-do list once it gets a LITTLE warmer around here.

Question to the OP. I guess it makes no difference either way, I'm just curious why you chose to replace with the same style as opposed to what seems to be the more popular conversion to the TJ style rubber latch?
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #10
jonothehut
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ

Question to the OP. I guess it makes no difference either way, I'm just curious why you chose to replace with the same style as opposed to what seems to be the more popular conversion to the TJ style rubber latch?
I think it's more of a personal preference. I did the old style instead of the TJ style. You should be able to do the TJ style pretty easy though
Unread 03-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ View Post

Yeah, I like to keep the classic look.

11' F250 - DD

Unread 03-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

fair enough

between those two, I'm preferential towards the TJ style myself.... but I won't be doing that one either

I found one (can't remember the mfr) that's basically like a turnbuckle with small heim joints on each end... the fender end is permanently bolted and the hood end uses a hitch/lynch pin looking thing... I like that in that it seems it would be about impossible for it to accidentally pop, and with a small padlock in place of the pin, easily converts to a locking latch.

but the one I saw was like $100... I'm stealing the idea and sourcing the pieces at the local hardware to build the set for about $30
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
Unread 03-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
That being said, go back under your hood and put some washers in.
The set I bought from 4WheelParts had Lock washers for inside the hood. Might be a good idea to use those if you have to buy them anyways.

Quote:
fair enough

between those two, I'm preferential towards the TJ style myself.... but I won't be doing that one either

I found one (can't remember the mfr) that's basically like a turnbuckle with small heim joints on each end... the fender end is permanently bolted and the hood end uses a hitch/lynch pin looking thing... I like that in that it seems it would be about impossible for it to accidentally pop, and with a small padlock in place of the pin, easily converts to a locking latch.

but the one I saw was like $100... I'm stealing the idea and sourcing the pieces at the local hardware to build the set for about $30
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/drake-o...-190031-k.html
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91
05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Dosent the TJ style require dtilling new holes?

I just installed a new set from Quadratec on Sunday. Its nice to not have to use force to latch the hood. Smooth and easy now

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90 View Post
Dosent the TJ style require dtilling new holes?
I honestly don't know... probably, but it almost looks like the larger size of the base should pretty much cover the stock holes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.