Homemade Rockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Homemade Rockers

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 02-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
WJRhoAds
2002 WJ 

Homemade Rockers

My brother and I made these rockers for his 87' YJ.

First we started by tearing off the stock plastic runners and the metal step.

That consisted of unbolting/cutting/drilling/grinding out all the bolts.

We had some 1/4" plate laying around the house that we cut in half to get two 4"x50" pieces. We cut the angle in the plate to match the back fenders.

Then we cut 1" pipe to 49" for the top two rails and 1 1/4" pipe to 48 1/4" for the bottom rail (that was also laying around the house). We cut both of the back ends to match the angle of the plate's back end. For the 1" pipe we centered and welded it to the plate. For the bottom (1 1/4") pipe its kind tough to explain so bear with me... We layed the plate and the bottom pipe flat on the table. Then we placed the pipe against the plate so that once welded it would sit flush on the back side, side that goes against the jeep. Sorry we don't have pictures of the actual process but you can see the end result in a few of the pictures later on.

Then we drilled the holes for the 1/2" bolts, putting them pretty much where ever they would go. We first drilled the holes into the plate, clamped it on the jeep where we wanted it, and drilled the holes into the jeep sheet metal.

To protect the body we placed it on the Jeep so that we had about 1/2" that extended below.

Then came the task of making the cross pieces out of more 1" pipe. Four top (2 per side) Six bottoms (3 per side). We cut the saddles by using a hole saw, drill press, cutting oil, and about 4 of hours of work...we really wish we had a torch... The top we cut to 1 1/2" and the bottom to 2 1/2".

We squared up the two top cross pieces and started welding.

Then on went the 1" pipe...

Then the bottom cross pieces...Sorry no pictures of that.

We painted it with Rustoleum Bedliner. And after all that the final result is this!

WJRhoAds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

looks good but maybe you should sweep the open ends on the top in to help avoid hanging up on things such as brush and garden gnomes. Best part about fabricating at home is possibilities are endless.
40dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
jode
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quick question - is there anything that goes under the lip of the body? Or is it just the plate part bolted on to the outside of the body?
I'm mulling over my own homebrew designs so it is interesting to see what you have done. Cool that yours looks like it is pretty stout.

90 YJ, 2.5L, 5-speed
jode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Good question .They appear tough . Design that could go many different directions.
40dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
WJRhoAds
2002 WJ 

40dog we plan on making custom fenders in the future and tying the rockers and fenders together, so we decided to leave them unfinished for now. Although we had totally forgotten about the dangers of lawn nomes...now we may have to address that sooner than later haha
Unread 02-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
WJRhoAds
2002 WJ 

Jode it's not connected to anything other than the sheet metal. We thought about placing another plate on the inside and bolt it all together. Make a plate-sheet metal-plate sandwich to disperse the weight more evenly. But as you can see from the HighLift picture it seems to take the weight very well, no bulging of the sheet metal or anything like that.
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

I think that's a pretty neat home brew project. I think you need to do something to each end, bend them in to meet, just so that far one isnt sticking out so much.

I'd put a set of those on my crawler.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks cool to me. I also think you should have the outer bar bend in to meet the inside and try to cap the tubes to seal out water, dirt, etc.

Good job.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
ohio79
2011 JK Wrangler 

Looks good. Whats the material cost for the sliders
ohio79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Nice Job
Did you consider angling in the front and back? seems like the open pipe is going to collect mud etc and rust plus Mr. Murphy and his law are sure to strike with you hooking a sapling between the two tubes.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
WJRhoAds
2002 WJ 

Thanks for input guys! Like I told 40dog we plan on making some custom fenders and tying it all together, so for now we left them somewhat "unfinished". But it would be a good idea to at least plug the ends in the meantime...

If in the future we made a pair for another Jeep (or used a similar design for when we make rockers for my WJ) we may do something along the lines of bending the ends in. I think it would look pretty tough. We would just have to get our hands on a pipe bender.
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
WJRhoAds
2002 WJ 

Material cost us very little as most of the stuff was found around the house. Bolts and paint are really the only thing we bought.
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJRhoAds View Post
Thanks for input guys! Like I told 40dog we plan on making some custom fenders and tying it all together, so for now we left them somewhat "unfinished". But it would be a good idea to at least plug the ends in the meantime...

If in the future we made a pair for another Jeep (or used a similar design for when we make rockers for my WJ) we may do something along the lines of bending the ends in. I think it would look pretty tough. We would just have to get our hands on a pipe bender.
PIPE BENDER!?
you doan need no stinking bender. Heat and beat.
Done right you only lose a little wall thickness and a little bit of impact resistance but unless it is your race cage or it's transporting nuke coolant I don't think it will be terminal.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
Cassafrass
2000 WJ 

Nice. Came out pretty good. They look better than the rockers we made for my YJ.
Cassafrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Deezz22
1990 YJ Wrangler 

very nice sir!!!
I'd rock them rockers for sure!!!

Tags
custom , rock sliders , rockers , side body armor , side step

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.