Homemade Posi Lock + Aussie Locker front = Selectable locker??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Homemade Posi Lock + Aussie Locker front = Selectable locker???

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 11-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Homemade Posi Lock + Aussie Locker front = Selectable locker???

My vacuum lines were totally missing when I bought the jeep so I pretty much have to do this homemade posi lock mod
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/home-made-posi-lock-write-up-595515/

I've also got an aussie locker going up front. Since the posi lock only locks the passenger side axle, but technically (since i have the aussie) the whole front is locked, would i be able to:

A) Put into 4wd, pull lock cable, have locked front

AND

B) Put into 4wd, NOT pull lock cable, and have my setup behave like it's open?? (the passenger side axle would be disconnected)

This question has been killing me all day. I don't know much about this axle setup so any help is great!!!

Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
tippmann243
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the drivers wheel is going to be spinning all the time.

since there is a locker up front its going to spin the DS axle and the PS INNER shaft. pull the posi lock and this will lock the intter to the outer giving you 4wd.

but remember when in 2wd the left wheel will still spin the axle and carrier and the front drive shaft.
tippmann243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

If I understand what your asking, I would think that option "B" would cause your front driveshaft to spin while (like TJ'S do) it while it would still "feel" like 2wd, I think.

Having a YJ front shaft spinning while driving on the street may cause some slight vibration, if the shaft isn't balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippmann243 View Post
the drivers wheel is going to be spinning all the time.

since there is a locker up front its going to spin the DS axle and the PS INNER shaft. pull the posi lock and this will lock the intter to the outer giving you 4wd.

but remember when in 2wd the left wheel will still spin the axle and carrier and the front drive shaft.
I know it's all going to SPIN in 2wd, i'm not worried about that, unless for some strange reason it'd be locked in 4wd for all of eternity...

Anyway, I know about the inner and outer shaft stuff, i'm just wondering specifically about the question i asked.
Unread 11-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Aussie lockers don't lock unless there's power being inputted into the differential. When you're in 2wd, it will act as if it is open. Aussies allow one wheel to spin faster than the other, but allow neither to spin slower than the drive input. When there is no input, there's no speed to keep up with.

97 TJ Sport black on black with MT/R Kevlars and lots of new parts coming!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-35/2.8L USM, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX USM

My Fuelly page (fuel economy and usage tracking)
sprowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
If I understand what your asking, I would think that option "B" would cause your front driveshaft to spin while (like TJ'S do) it while it would still "feel" like 2wd, I think.

Having a YJ front shaft spinning while driving on the street may cause some slight vibration, if the shaft isn't balanced.
Ok , i think i know what you're saying. Normally, the passenger side is the "drive" axle when in 4wd. Since i'll have a locker, it'll also be connecting to the driver side causing the drive shaft to spin, when ordinarily (stock) it wouldn't.

Couple questions about that if i have it correct...
Would this affect my steering in 2wd on road?

How hard is it to balance a drive shaft? (ie at a shop?)

What do you mean "feel" like 2wd? With a locked front and a disconnected axle, i would think that the driver side axle would be powered as well has the passenger side inner shaft. There would just be no power to the passenger side wheel. So essentially behaving like open.

And sprowley, I've already got front and rear aussies on my explorer so i know how they work, that's why i thought of this possibility.
Unread 11-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
I know it's all going to SPIN in 2wd, i'm not worried about that, unless for some strange reason it'd be locked in 4wd for all of eternity...

Anyway, I know about the inner and outer shaft stuff, i'm just wondering specifically about the question i asked.
Your "question" is a bit unclear. If what you mean by "behave as if it were an open diff" concerns applying power to the ground via the front axle in scenario "B", I wouldn't think that it would.

I'm not sure what you're after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Your "question" is a bit unclear. If what you mean by "behave as if it were an open diff" concerns applying power to the ground via the front axle in scenario "B", I wouldn't think that it would.

I'm not sure what you're after.
Give me a minute to make a microsoft paint diagram of it.
Unread 11-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

is there something i'm missing??
Unread 11-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

in scenario b when you gas it you better hold on to the steering wheel real good. i have this set up and its definitely not like an open diff. the drivers side will pull the jeep on way or the other ,so hold on.
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
in scenario b when you gas it you better hold on to the steering wheel real good. i have this set up and its definitely not like an open diff. the drivers side will pull the jeep on way or the other ,so hold on.
You are talking about only in 4wd right? And I just realized that the drivers rear wheel is the drive wheel, so I see what you mean, having one side of the vehicle spinning and the other side not powered.

And I should probably make myself more clear...The advantage I'm looking to gain is turning radius and possible snow handling. I've driven with a locked front in the snow and it's not the best.
Unread 11-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #12
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

thats right.like in the diagram . I havent tried mine in the snow yet but im sure when in 4wd ill have wished for an air locker. Im sure it will push pretty bad, maybe with it not posi loced it might give you better turning ( 3 wheel drive)
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Unread 11-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #13
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just got back from the sand dunes and the rear aussie in 2 high would put me into a slid pretty easy, i can only wait for an off camber icey road!
Unread 11-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #14
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I wish the made a posi lock for the rear to0
Unread 11-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #15
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
thats right.like in the diagram . I havent tried mine in the snow yet but im sure when in 4wd ill have wished for an air locker. Im sure it will push pretty bad, maybe with it not posi loced it might give you better turning ( 3 wheel drive)
With the posilock off, it'll be 2 wheel drive, both driver side wheels. I don't know how well that will work. And the rear doesn't have a posi lock option because there's no vacuum system there.

Well...it sounded cool at first. I'm definitely open for more discussion and suggestions though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.