Homemade High Steer Knuckle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Homemade High Steer Knuckle

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
_JEEP_
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Homemade High Steer Knuckle

Hello guys. Ive got a good question. Is there a way to make a high steer knucle for an soa converison. My freind is giving me 2 dana 30 knuckles so now i have 4 dana 30 knucles and now i want to know is there any way to make a high steer knucle. Like cut the arm off and raise it then weld it back on?? Any ideas. Or should i just drop the whole idea?

Also what is the year the cherokee had the high steer knuckle on it? and is that knuckle bolt on for dana 30?

Thanks

Last edited by _JEEP_; 10-31-2008 at 07:24 PM..
_JEEP_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think the JB4X4 bracket would be a better option, and probably cheaper in the long run.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

I think if you decide to cut/weld cast knuckles.....you will regret it.
Helldorado Customs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Damn, between this post, and the other one where I said I use Fram oil filters, I am really out to get flamed big time! But, here goes.

I have these Rocky Road high steer adapters on my wife's '93 YJ. The are INCREDIBLY beefy, and actually a well thought out & well made part, IMHO.

They are (also IMHO) better than the JB4X4 setup, as it moves ALL of your steeing linkage up above the leafs on an SOA conversion. It's not cheap, but it's very heavy duty, and has 1-ton TRE's.

http://www.rocky-road.com/yjott.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.

Last edited by Mean Max; 10-31-2008 at 04:33 PM..
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
giixxer21
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I used rocky mountain and it's great. never a problem.

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL
Unread 10-31-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

I don't remember the year, but suposedly there is a cherokee/grand cherokee knuckle that you can swap, that has a raised arm on the passanger side knuckle. granted, it would only move the drag link up, but it might be an option for you.
Unread 10-31-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Welded steering parts are not only unsafe, but illegal as well. Welding cast for steering is extremely unsafe.

If you want high steer on a D30, you need to buy a new knuckle, or use the bracket.
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

the steering knuckle is cast steel.. if you weld it, it WILL snap under stress, so dont weld it

JB has the cheapest setup ive seen $150, cant go wrong

http://www.jb4x4.com/products.htm

youll notice its NOT welded onto the knuckle.. you drill and tap the knuckle an use bolts.. very stout setup
Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
ghost183 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
_JEEP_
1989 YJ Wrangler 

alright i wont weld! it was only a thought... but i like the idea ok the jb brakcet. I want to move the draglink over the suspension and not the tie rod. And I would love to have that year the cherokee had the high steer setup on it, Maybe somebody will chime in and help me out.
Unread 10-31-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i found a set of a grand cherokee for you for $50 bucks plus finders fee. http://fredericton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-...QAdIdZ74127248
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #11
_JEEP_
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
i found a set of a grand cherokee for you for $50 bucks plus finders fee. http://fredericton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-...QAdIdZ74127248
I wouldd love to buy those. But I am all that way up north in Quebec. Do you know the yAer of the Cherokee?
Unread 11-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #12
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I believe they were on the Grand Cherokees. Pretty much the same as the Tera Flex knuckle. Less $$$
Unread 11-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #13
rokkshocka
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm bummed nobody was able to answer the GC high steer question. I've got a GC high steer knuckle sitting in my garage right now waiting for me to figure out which tie rod and drag link I need to use on it. Obviously the stock tie rod and drag link are too short, and if I knew the year of the GC that had this knuckle I could look at replacement parts under that year model. I'd rather not use the teraflex unit as I'd prefer steel that far forward and south...
Unread 11-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Use stock TRE's and have a new tie rod and draglink made up.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JEEP_ View Post
I wouldd love to buy those. But I am all that way up north in Quebec. Do you know the yAer of the Cherokee?
jumpins man Quebec is only a few hours from Fredericton, grew up in that area.......

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.