HomeBrew YJ Snorkel! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HomeBrew YJ Snorkel!

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-25-2009, 02:18 AM   #1
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

HomeBrew YJ Snorkel!

ALERT!(I wrote this at 4am. Please disregard my grammar/spelling/**** )

It all started two weeks ago when my Jeep sucked up a little water and stalled in the middle of a 3ft pond. Luckily my engine didn't hydrolock and after a good 2 minutes of drying the distributor and airbox off with my socks the Jeep fired right up and I went home. Needless to say, it was time for a snorkel!

-I started with an 8ft length cut of 3" 16g galvanized exhaust pipe. However, upon bending it the pipe proved to be too thin walled for the application...

Luckily the shop had some 14g 3" pipe in stock and said that they'd sell it to me and made the bends needed for only $30. Deal!

The pipe has a 90 degree bend at the bottom where it turns to enter the engine bay and a gradual bend in the rear. Not sure what the back angle is exactly because Jeep windshield angles vary, not to mention the pipe was later cut and welded back together.

-Now it was time to decide how to attach it to the Jeep. I decided to use a 3" muffler clamp for under the hood and to just make a bracket to be bolted to the existing windshield hinge mount.

For the under the hood clamp I just drilled two small holes into the wheel well to attach it.

For the windshield bracket, I used some 1/4" sheet metal and drilled holes into it to match the existing ones on the hinge like so. (it would be shortened later, just left it that big incase I needed more to work with)

-I clamped the pipe to the windshield bracket just how I wanted it and tacked it on with the welder. I cut 4" out of the pipe on the bottom because it was too long from the shop where it was bent. A mistake in measuring on my part, you can see the weld in this picture behind the 90 degree angle going into the hood.

Here it is from the front. (Disregard my Mountaindew wielding welding glove)

Here it is shut with the hood before it was cut.

-Next was the scary irreversible part. Cutting a hole into the hood for the pipe . After some intense measuring and remeasuring I made the cut with a jigsaw and rounded it off with an air dremel.

Thank Allah it was a perfect fit! I painted the bare metal and put some black door trim around the cut to make it look nicer.

-Next was hooking the snorkel up to the stock airbox. I used a 2 1/2" 90 degree gradual bend PVC elbow and shoved it into the stock intake on the airbox. It was a snug fit but I still put a bead of JB weld around it to help seal it on. Then all that wa sneeded was a 3ft flexible air hose from the auto parts store. It was $20 but worked perfectly with the use of hose clamps! (The hose clamped areas had a bead of JB Weld put around them inside and out as well to seal them.)

I didn't really document the rest but in short...
-The snorkel was primed and painted black.
-I used the intake off of a crane for this project. It had a 4" diameter so I used an adapter from Home Depot. A 2-3" rubber adapter for pipe. That plus a hose clamp to keep the intake top secured to the adapter and the head of the snorkel was finished.

If you don't happen to be a crane operator you can just order an intake top from ( tnjmurray.com ) (I may replace the top of mine with one of these later on if I feel like it)

Okay folks, Here are the before and afters!

Before...

And After!

Any comments or concerns are welcome. I only spent $90ish on the project total. Plastic ARB Jeep snorkels retail for $350-400 online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2009, 03:28 AM   #2
roccomonte
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nice!
What did you end up doing with your breathers?
roccomonte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

looks good.
Unread 06-25-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
jaywiz1977
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This has been done b4,Looks like you pretty much just copied his thread.turned out pretty good though.He bought 90s and cut and welded them together you had one pipe bent.I wondered how it would look bent instead of welded,so i say THANK YOU for filling my curiosity!

There are alot of different people in the world out of all of them,it's the normal ones that scare me the most!
jaywiz1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
Bob_R
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have never been much for snorkels, they just never appealed to me. But yours if different, it looks like it belongs as part of the equipment. Nicely done

One suggestion, and maybe way off base even, but what about a purge valve toward a low point. To manually let dabre out if it was to get inside the long tube.

Again, nicely done.
Unread 06-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
cjlyell2112
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work!
cjlyell2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
fyrdriver
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Where/who did you ever get the idea from?

http://groups.jeepforum.com/Firefighters_Jeep_Club
fyrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
Fische
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Why can't I see the pics?
Fische is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
jaywiz1977
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Told ya frydriver was the first,and i think you should at least give him some credit!comeon man up.

There are alot of different people in the world out of all of them,it's the normal ones that scare me the most!
Unread 06-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
yjJeff
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i love jeeps.
yjJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
Bob_R
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I found another thread, that was before yours. Both are great by the way, but I like the top on his better than the Chinese hat on yours.

Check it out.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/homemade-jeep-snorkel-w-pics-794294/
Unread 06-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I used Fyres design and said so in his thread.

But with a different top and such.

Quote:
Quote:
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
Unread 06-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
jaywiz1977
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thats all i wanted man,alot of people read your thread and didn't even know about frys.I believe it was an original when he came up with it,and he should be selling these(arb is).It's really hard to come up with something new to do to a jeep and i hate it when someone just copies and takes the credit.

Unread 06-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #14
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccomonte View Post
Nice!
What did you end up doing with your breathers?
-My front axle breather is up to the top of the grill and bent over.
-Dist. cap is greased up and the breather has a hose going up to the top of the fire wall and bent over.
-The T-case breather is at the top of the fire wall.
-The rear axle breather is in the stock location behind the driver side wheel well but I lengthened it as far up as it would go and bent it over.

I'm hoping that these measures will help keep the water out better than before. It's not like I try to ford rivers or anything, I just don't want 3ft of water to ruin my Heep.

I'll be testing everything this weekend

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
95yj_bstick
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i just realized that your jeep is my comp's background, great job with the snorkel, i've been thinking of doing one myself
correct me if i'm wrong, but is this it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.