ALERT!(I wrote this at 4am. Please disregard my grammar/spelling/**** )
It all started two weeks ago when my Jeep sucked up a little water and stalled in the middle of a 3ft pond. Luckily my engine didn't hydrolock and after a good 2 minutes of drying the distributor and airbox off with my socks the Jeep fired right up and I went home. Needless to say, it was time for a snorkel!
-I started with an 8ft length cut of 3" 16g galvanized exhaust pipe. However, upon bending it the pipe proved to be too thin walled for the application...
Luckily the shop had some 14g 3" pipe in stock and said that they'd sell it to me and made the bends needed for only $30. Deal!
The pipe has a 90 degree bend at the bottom where it turns to enter the engine bay and a gradual bend in the rear. Not sure what the back angle is exactly because Jeep windshield angles vary, not to mention the pipe was later cut and welded back together.
-Now it was time to decide how to attach it to the Jeep. I decided to use a 3" muffler clamp for under the hood and to just make a bracket to be bolted to the existing windshield hinge mount.
For the under the hood clamp I just drilled two small holes into the wheel well to attach it.
For the windshield bracket, I used some 1/4" sheet metal and drilled holes into it to match the existing ones on the hinge like so. (it would be shortened later, just left it that big incase I needed more to work with)
-I clamped the pipe to the windshield bracket just how I wanted it and tacked it on with the welder. I cut 4" out of the pipe on the bottom because it was too long from the shop where it was bent. A mistake in measuring on my part, you can see the weld in this picture behind the 90 degree angle going into the hood.
Here it is from the front. (Disregard my Mountaindew wielding welding glove)
Here it is shut with the hood before it was cut.
-Next was the scary irreversible part. Cutting a hole into the hood for the pipe
. After some intense measuring and remeasuring I made the cut with a jigsaw and rounded it off with an air dremel.
Thank Allah it was a perfect fit!
I painted the bare metal and put some black door trim around the cut to make it look nicer.
-Next was hooking the snorkel up to the stock airbox. I used a 2 1/2" 90 degree gradual bend PVC elbow and shoved it into the stock intake on the airbox. It was a snug fit but I still put a bead of JB weld around it to help seal it on. Then all that wa sneeded was a 3ft flexible air hose from the auto parts store. It was $20 but worked perfectly with the use of hose clamps! (The hose clamped areas had a bead of JB Weld put around them inside and out as well to seal them.)
I didn't really document the rest but in short...
-The snorkel was primed and painted black.
-I used the intake off of a crane for this project. It had a 4" diameter so I used an adapter from Home Depot. A 2-3" rubber adapter for pipe. That plus a hose clamp to keep the intake top secured to the adapter and the head of the snorkel was finished.
If you don't happen to be a crane operator you can just order an intake top from ( tnjmurray.com ) (I may replace the top of mine with one of these later on if I feel like it)
Okay folks, Here are the before and afters!
Any comments or concerns are welcome. I only spent $90ish on the project total. Plastic ARB Jeep snorkels retail for $350-400 online.