Homebrew Upper Sliders!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 Old 12-09-2015, 09:25 AM
grapehead
1977 CJ7 

ok awesome, I feel much better about it now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 12-12-2015, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
boduke5051
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Got a little work done today, mainly trying to fill in some gaps to make the fiberglass work go a bit easier.

First, there was a pretty good difference in the plane from the face of the window frame to the face of the wood structure. So i made a filler/transition piece out of some above ground pool wall that i had sitting around. Here's a couple pics with it test fitted on the Jeep.

Before the transition piece:

forumrunner_20151212_222337.jpg

forumrunner_20151212_222404.jpg

forumrunner_20151212_222438.jpg

forumrunner_20151212_222508.jpg

After the transition piece:

forumrunner_20151212_222638.jpg

forumrunner_20151212_222703.jpg

If you can't be good, be good at it! >:-D
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f286/hound-2833082/
post #18 of 22 Old 12-12-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
boduke5051
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Then i had a pretty large gap along the rear edge of the window between the window and the soft top. Big enough that i could almost fit my hand all the way through to the inside of the Jeep.

forumrunner_20151212_222932.jpg

Trying to plan ahead to the eventual hard top build, i decided to leave the rear edge with a bit more over hang than I'd really like, but it should give me a structure to cover with fiberglass, and then seal with weather stripping. When i eventually build the top, I'll just build it to match the contour, and then it won't be a huge lip anymore.

I ended up welding in an extra bar to the frame that I can use to attach the fiberglass to. This also had the advantage of stiffening up the structure quite a bit.

forumrunner_20151212_223348.jpg

forumrunner_20151212_223412.jpg

forumrunner_20151212_223433.jpg

post #19 of 22 Old 12-15-2015, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
boduke5051
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well, it appears that this project may come to an early close. Happened be in contact with an old friend from High School yesterday, and it seems that he's got a set of full steel doors that he's willing to let me have pretty cheap. Going to go look at them this afternoon after work. So, if all goes well, it looks like this project is going into the "could've been a neat idea" pile, lol!

post #20 of 22 Old 12-17-2015, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
boduke5051
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the full doors. This project has probably come to a close. I'm thinking about selling the half doors locally, but I haven't decided yet whether I'm gonna hang on to the prototype uppers to see if I run into anybody that's interested in completing them, or just toss em.

post #21 of 22 Old 12-17-2015, 09:10 AM
bruinjeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Damn.

Wanted to see it finalized.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
post #22 of 22 Old 12-17-2015, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
boduke5051
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm not entirely sure that it was ever going to work correctly anyway. 2 Problems that I was still having even as much material and welding as I used were the large gap at the back, and the fact that I think it was going to be too heavy for the top of the half door to support.

The more I added in to stiffen the assembly, the more it started to weigh, and then by the time it reached the stage that it's in now, I noticed that the top edge would still flap out almost as much as it did before I stiffened it, but the movement had transferred to where it was resting on the door. I don't think that utilizing the pins from the old upper frame was going to give it enough support.

Before I came across these full doors, I was starting to try to plan out a couple of extra tie in points, and try to figure out how to make them NOT look like crap. I was pondering trying to add in screws that would go in the holes that are already there for the channel the soft upper snaps into to give it support on the outside, and then on the inside, I was thinking about building 2 metal braces that would come from the window assembly, form fit it to the contours of the door, and bolt it in using the bolts for the door close handle. Maybe using something along the lines of some 1/8th inch thick x 1-1/2 inch bar stock. Either trying to make the bends to match, or just cut it and weld it to match the necessary contours.

It was just getting a bit more complicated than I thought it would be, and I didn't want to be spending quite that much of my free time in the driveway around the holidays.

I still think it could be done, and done pretty cheaply as far as money goes. And I may hold onto everything, and work on for a summer project, but I doubt it, lol.

If I had the project to do over again, I think I would find some different windows that would be a bit easier to work with. I think starting off with a matching set from the side of a used flat sided camper might be a lot easier to work with. They'd probably be lighter weight, and they'd be flat, so you wouldn't have any contours, or curves to contend with. Also, if you were able to find some just a couple inches shorter in length than the 4Runner windows were, you'd be able to fit them inside the existing soft upper frame, and have a lot less fab work and modification time invested.

Tags
half door , homemade sliders , upper door skin , uppers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.