Home made POSI LOCK write up - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Home made POSI LOCK write up

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo

Unread 09-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #46
Dmax5er
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What did you do with the Vacuum ports? plug them off? if you plug them and the diaphram is good it will make it real hard to engage the cable wouldnt it? create a vacuum lock internally.......

Dmax5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #47
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax5er View Post
What did you do with the Vacuum ports? plug them off? if you plug them and the diaphram is good it will make it real hard to engage the cable wouldnt it? create a vacuum lock internally.......
In the original write up it suggests cutting the diaphram out, that's what I did, then used vacuum caps to plug all the ports.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #48
rockstedy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

side note/other options

if your diaphram stops working and you dont want to do this mod or cant do this mod
try this:

mine stopped working. had good vacuum, all lines where hooked up, everything looked the way it should:

so i took off the vacuum diaphram from the axle and sprayed inside the vacuum ports with WD40 and let it sit for a few minutes,

then took the air compressor at a low pressure(5-10 psi) and blew into each vacuum port and the fork started to move slowly at first; did that about 20 times ,also applied lithium grease to the shaft because it looked like a bunch of rusty stuff on it and wanted to help the process out

reappling WD40 and grease to shaft as i felt needed, after about 30-40 times of moving the fork back and forth with air, it was moving freely again and alot faster, put it back in the axle and 4X4 works again! YAY
92' YJ, 5.0 Mustang,Dana 60 rear , dana 44 front, 3:56, 4.5" lift kit.,SOA,rhino lined tub,40x17x16.5 cut gumbo mudders on rear and fun country on front,rear driveshaft brake

98' TJ 2.5 lift 4.0 liter raise fenders 31' mudd terrains

2002 Grand cherokee bone stock
rockstedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 08:13 AM   #49
AuroraJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Your are a so right and I can say that with confidence because it happened to me. Problem fixed though.
Unread 09-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #50
Dmax5er
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraJeep View Post
Your are a so right and I can say that with confidence because it happened to me. Problem fixed though.
How did you fix it?
Unread 09-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #51
AuroraJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just unplugged them. Ran the line normal the diaphragm in mine is busted anyways.
Unread 09-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #52
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How did you fix it?
You unplug the vacuum line from the front axle and plug the line not the vacuum assembly on the axle

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #53
giixxer21
1990 YJ Wrangler 

when mine went out, i was on the trail ripped the whole thing off and used pliers to pull it in or out. it's been that way for years now. in the process of full width swap otherwise i would do this mod...nice write up...
Unread 09-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #54
cerial0411
1969 CJ5 

How did you cut out the diaphragm. Got the thing off and the diaphragm seems froze up Going to try blowing air through but if I could cut the diaphragm out or eliminate the diaphragm all together and replace it with a bolt for the shaft to run on that would be better.
Thanks
cerial0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #55
cerial0411
1969 CJ5 

ok I put the diaphragm under like 60 pounds and played with it for about 10 min the thing is showing no signs of freeing up the psi to over 120 in hopes of simply ripping the diaphragm and the dang thing held and then I had trouble getting it back to normal.
The thing has two clips on either sides of the fork any issues with simply removing these clips and letting the fork glide on the shaft.

Seems like I could do this and just plug the diaphragm but does the fork run on a bushing/bearing than may work loose and into the carrier.
Don't see one but don't want to find out.
Thanks
Unread 09-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #56
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Look at this pic from the OP....

The diaphram is in the kinda round flat part (directly below the green circle). Anyhow pry that apart and take a razor blade and cut the rubber diaphram out, put it back together and re-crimp the edges with a pair of pliers.

Last edited by timatoe; 09-27-2008 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: Wrong pic.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2008, 08:28 PM   #57
cerial0411
1969 CJ5 

Yea that is what I thought but wasn't sure. Went the whole disconnecting the (fork)clips and tearing the unit down route. Put a new seal in the shaft and then plugged the diaphragm after sanding like 1/64th off the rod the fork moved fine. The rod no longer moves and is fixed due to the diaphragm being plugged.
Everything works fine and I have 4wd Thanks

Great Write up.
Unread 10-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #58
James750
1990 MJ Comanche 

One method you could use to hold the cable is to drill another hole and run it back through and then use a cable crimp to attach it back to itself.

Great writeup, I'll be doing this next week.
Colorado Jeep Club #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubie View Post
Three words: Flying Spaghetti Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Praise be unto His Noodly Appendage.
James750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #59
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What a nice write up. As for water proofing, I noticed nobody addressed the cable itself . you can seal all you want at the cable entrance, but the whole cable is a big leak problem. Im going to follow your steps execept to add a 1/4 hose over the cable for a few feet.
92-jeep-log-psi-lock.jpg  
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'

Last edited by bigsquat; 10-05-2008 at 04:01 PM..
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #60
Dmax5er
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
What a nice write up. As for water proofing, I noticed nobody addressed the cable itself . you can seal all you want at the cable entrance, but the whole cable is a big leak problem. Im going to follow your steps execept to add a 1/4 hose over the cable for a few feet.
good tip, or shrink tubing or even buy a cable already coated....thanks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.