Home made POSI LOCK write up - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Home made POSI LOCK write up

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 09-03-2008, 10:29 AM   #31
Bigboyky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

couple questions. You have the size on your spring. does it matter how strong or weak it is? And what did you use the hose clamps for?

Bigboyky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #32
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboyky View Post
couple questions. You have the size on your spring. does it matter how strong or weak it is? And what did you use the hose clamps for?
When I did mine, I got the spring NAPA, and it turned out to be too weak and would not disengage the fork. I had to go to Fastenal to get a stiffer spring. It made the cable a little harder to pull but it works every time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #33
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy68 View Post
I noticed in the "regretted Mods" thread that a few people regretted either buying a posi-lock or making one.

I wonder why? It seems like a good solution to me. Especially if you aren't off the road every weekend.

Any thoughts here before I spend the $50 to do it?
when i made mine i could never get it water tight, bad for local wheeling were its mostly water n mud at the cliffs. i decided to put washers in it and have it constantly locked. so much easier.

Member of CORE4X4.NET
teejmcd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #34
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Curious if there is a way to do this mod without the "tapping" of the housing. Some of us do not have access to a Tap and Die set.

Just wondering.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #35
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i did not tap mine and i think thats why it leaked never could get good enough to keep out water

Member of CORE4X4.NET
Unread 09-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #36
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

even with it tapped and with the compression union, since the cable slides in and out, wouldnt it NEVER be able to be water/oil/mud proof?

I've hesitated from doing this mod for this reason, even though I have all of the stuff to do it (minus the tap and die...for now)

Build Thread
jeep stuff
chupacabrah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #37
AuroraJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The spring was just a normal spring I bought at menards, the size is in the original post. The hose clamp I didn't use. As far as the tapping goes, this was my first time tapping something, I bought a cheap set from Harbor Freight for like $15. Mine doesn't leak at all and was just wheeling at the cliffs this past weekend. I used a little bit of gasket sealer on the outside where the compression union is and pipe tape on the threads, the outer cable doesn't move so it's sealed.
Unread 09-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #38
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraJeep View Post
The spring was just a normal spring I bought at menards, the size is in the original post. The hose clamp I didn't use. As far as the tapping goes, this was my first time tapping something, I bought a cheap set from Harbor Freight for like $15. Mine doesn't leak at all and was just wheeling at the cliffs this past weekend. I used a little bit of gasket sealer on the outside where the compression union is and pipe tape on the threads, the outer cable doesn't move so it's sealed.

if that was your first time testing it,just in my experience.... if water does get into it the pin will rust over n you will not have 4x4 engagement. after going to the cliffs it took like 2 weeks till i noticed it. we need to hit up the cliffs together after i put my hd tie rods on of course. i missed the last run to the cliffs w u guys =-/

Member of CORE4X4.NET
Unread 09-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #39
AuroraJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Totally, I am down to go again. I need to figure out what's the deal with my 4wd. The axle is lock up and the shifter is in 4wd H and the front tires don't move, found that out about two hours at the cliffs. If you have any experience or expertise to lend teejmcd come on over man.
Unread 09-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #40
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

cool ill send you a pm

Member of CORE4X4.NET
Unread 09-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #41
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Curious if there is a way to do this mod without the "tapping" of the housing. Some of us do not have access to a Tap and Die set.

Just wondering.
I never tapped the housing. Instead I drilled a very close tolerance hole to insert the cable sleeve into (PITA), and sealed both the inside and out side with silicone. Its not going anywhere and nothings coming in or leaking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #42
veritas4156
1991 MJ Comanche 

Perfect timing for me to see this thread. Finishing up the motor swap/ major overhaul and now its time to get the 4wd going before snow.

Excellent write up, the previous ones I never understood to the point that I felt confident enough to start this project.
veritas4156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #43
AuroraJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Good to hear...I like to think of them as idiot proof. I wrote like I would want it; you know for an idiot, like I am.
Unread 09-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #44
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wow. Great write-up with illustration.

My Poli-Lok literally just came by Fed-Ex about thirty minutes ago. I'm assuming they figured out a way to keep water out of the housing. I opened the box. Lotsa' parts, but it looks heavy duty.
I wish I would have seen this thread first. I would have probably tried it myself. Look's pretty easy.
Harbor Frieght has tap and die sets for real cheap. They aren't professional grade, but would definately be sufficient for this mod.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #45
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Was going to go this route and probably still will when I get around to it, I even made a thread asking about it. But for now I'm going on 2000 miles with the axles always coupled together, sort of like with washers. I don't mind it this way doesn't seem to any different, except it always works and never breaks, maybe a tad less mpg but I can't even say that for sure since my 4 banger has always got crap gas mileage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.