Home made POSI LOCK write up - Page 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Home made POSI LOCK write up

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #391
redbullrr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Almost done with this setup, used a bleeder valve and nut for my entry point. Then used a hose to seal the area off.
Question.... Does anyone know the part number for the compression spring. I made a spring but its a tad to wide. Any auto parts store i go to they hire kids who have no clue what anything is unless you have a part number.

redbullrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #392
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbullrr View Post
Almost done with this setup, used a bleeder valve and nut for my entry point. Then used a hose to seal the area off.
Question.... Does anyone know the part number for the compression spring. I made a spring but its a tad to wide. Any auto parts store i go to they hire kids who have no clue what anything is unless you have a part number.
At post 357 mentions a 5/8" x 2 3/4" spring;

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...5/index24.html

That spring package looks like it came from Home Depot or Lowes. They have an assortment of springs to choose from.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #393
redbullrr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks ^ just ordered it thru Napa online. New cable to. The cable I bought from Autozone snapped at t handle when testing.
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #394
redbullrr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks ^ just ordered it thru Napa online. New cable to. The cable I bought from Autozone snapped at t handle when testing.
so Napa forced 8 dollar shipping for 1 spring then forced me to take the whole box of springs because "They dont sell individual" even though on there website I made the reserver as individual..

In any event I have 4 springs if anyone local on LI, NY needs any.
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #395
redbullrr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Locking Cable, doesnt really lock. Caught me off guard and got stuck at the beach.

It should be as easy as pulling and twisting to lock cable correct? Why after a few minutes of standing still the thing slides back in?
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #396
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Locking Cable, doesnt really lock. Caught me off guard and got stuck at the beach.

It should be as easy as pulling and twisting to lock cable correct? Why after a few minutes of standing still the thing slides back in?
Not really. Often the two axle ends do not align. So the shift collar cannot slide over the left axle. I find that if I move very slowly and turn my steering wheel they align and my cable actuated shifter pulls the shift collar right over onto the left axle end.
First thought Did your shift cable come loose in the front axle? If it engages with no effort or friction felt it is probably not connected.

If it does feel connected then:

The locking cable has to move the same distance that the shift collar in the front diff needs to move, AND for you to turn your cable handle to lock the cable in place. Does it pop out of the locked position?

If it does then I think your spring is not stout enough to hold the shaft collar in place.

Pull your cable to get you into 4WD then use a small pair of vice grips or a small C clamp to lock the shaft of the cable/handle to prevent it from moving forward and disengaging the front shift collar and dropping you out of 4WD.

IF that works it must be a weak spring.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #397
Henggeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Okay how many of you have locked the front spider gears via welding. Or some sort of cheap locker. And use this mod to be a selectable locker.
Only downside would be front driveshaft turning all the time right?
After my 5.3/nv4500/np241c swap I haven't done anything with my front end yet. Being able to use this to make it open in 2wheel and locked solid in 4wheel would be perfect for me.
But does it work good?
Henggeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #398
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Once you weld the spiders, there is no more "selection" left. You will still be able to change the transfer case from 2wd to 4wd, but your front axle shafts will always be locked together (unless you eventually replace the spiders, etc). Unless its just a trail rig, and even then it may not be recommended, I would not weld the front spiders. If anything, I would drop in a auto locker like a Spartan.

I actually have a posi-lock setup sitting at the house, but I am leaning towards simply running a 1pc outer shaft to do away with the CAD all together.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #399
Henggeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

They won't always be locked together if you have the collar disengaged
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #400
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Oops, forgot about the shift collar.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #401
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

pipe thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjman92 View Post
i did that but they all say that the standard size taps everyone carries dont have the smaller thread pattern that is on the compression union, so im stuck at a stand still
I have read 25 pages of this thread. What you need is a pipe thread tap. Sizes of fittings are in the text.

The other thing I noticed is that a couple of people had trouble with auto part store fittings. *I* think this is because these might be brake line fittings which are mostly metric... Not sure why, but:

You should be able to get a compression-to-pipe-thread fitting at a hardware store. Then all you need is a pipe thread tap.

I hope this sorts this frequent problem out for a few folks.

My YJ has had vacuum actuator issues so I will be doing this mod along with the z-gate plate removal. I also like the idea of the pull cable on the transfer lever. All in all I like the whole idea because it is a mechanical connection- no wires or vacuum lines to trouble shoot if there is a problem. The brake cylinder spring is low buck and I love that it spits in the face of Manufacturing Dependency Syndrome. Stuff you make yourself is just as (if not more) real than something that comes packed in a pretty box from a factory.
fishadventure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:43 AM   #402
Henggeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just ordered a spartan instead
Unread 07-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #403
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henggeler View Post
I just ordered a spartan instead
instead of what?
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #404
Henggeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Spartan locker and tj axle swap. No more cad. Worked pretty good. The axle swap itself is cheap too. I recommend it. ($65 axle and $20seals)
Unread 08-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #405
padave64
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My first attempt at this used a bit to strong of a spring - Made it too hard to pull and for the cable to lock - revised it by using a weaker spring and another cable stop on the lock side of the fork, so I could push it out of lock.. the spring just helps....

This and adjusting the shift linkage got me wheeling again after an SOA lift......
img_2273.jpg  
padave64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.