Home made POSI LOCK write up - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Home made POSI LOCK write up

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 08-19-2008, 06:02 AM   #16
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraJeep View Post
The way I see it, is that it took seriously like 1 minute to pull that whole assembly out, if the cable slips off the fork it's an easy trail fix. Still half the cost of a new vacuum unit that is also prone to breakage. I plan on running a d44 soon, so this was a cheap, easy, and easily serviceable mod that fixed a problem. This NAPA cable wire was real thick, I am confident in it.
I had gone with a posi-lok myself...I'm getting older and thinking makes my head hurt!!

Your set up looks to be as reliable as what posi-lok offers IMHO. If you had set this up and wrote about it before I did mine I would have put one together just like yours, it looks stout and reliable trust me

laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 06:25 AM   #17
Zorm
1983 FSJ Cherokee 

was just thinking about looking for a write up for this!! and with pictures too thanks!!
Zorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 06:52 AM   #18
possumwalk
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Will the 4wd indicator light in the dash still work with this DIY modification? Yeah, timatoe it's like the choke cable clamp on my 1953 Ford pickup. A small barrell with a hole for the wire to go thru and a set screw to tighten down on the wire. Outstanding write up,AuroraJeep.
possumwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 08:09 AM   #19
AuroraJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy68 View Post
Out of curiosity and not seeing the cable, how did you attach it to the fork? Maybe if I had the cable it would be self explanatory...
Honestly I kind of tied the wire, like balled it up. I know it sounds cheesy but it doesn't take much force to move the fork. If it fails then I will add one of the ends. My concern with an end thing is if that fall out and some how gets into the carrier thats worse than a failed posi lock. But thats just my opinion.
Unread 08-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #20
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Cable stops are cheap. On mine i have 2 holes drilled in the fork, run cable through one and back through the other, then attach cable stop (like timatoe posted)-- this keeps the cable attached to the fork with no worries

Build Thread
jeep stuff
chupacabrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #21
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC_FAN View Post
If I didn't already have a Posi-Lock I'd definitely try this.

Hey Mods...

I think he deserves a membership for the write up!

^^^^^
firefighter315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #22
treky67

Ever think of mayve putting the spring on the opposed end, that way there if it fails it fails engauged. And do most napa stores have this particular choke cable in stock?
treky67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #23
AuroraJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky67 View Post
Ever think of mayve putting the spring on the opposed end, that way there if it fails it fails engauged. And do most napa stores have this particular choke cable in stock?
I just gave the part number and they brought it up.
Unread 08-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #24
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraJeep View Post
I just gave the part number and they brought it up.
me too

Quote:

not a bad idea, BUT then generally on the street you'd be driving around with the cable LOCKED to have the axle disconnected. and Unlocked to have it connected.... I guess either way would work, though.

Build Thread
jeep stuff
chupacabrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #25
johnboy68
Will work for parts

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just stopped at my Friendly Neighborhood NAPA Store and they didn't have the locking cable in stock. They will have the 9' locking cable tomorrow for $30.

I like it

johnboy68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #26
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks

I was just fixing to buy one and poor folks need all the help they can get THANKS
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #27
johnboy68
Will work for parts

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I noticed in the "regretted Mods" thread that a few people regretted either buying a posi-lock or making one.

I wonder why? It seems like a good solution to me. Especially if you aren't off the road every weekend.

Any thoughts here before I spend the $50 to do it?

Unread 09-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #28
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy68 View Post
I noticed in the "regretted Mods" thread that a few people regretted either buying a posi-lock or making one.

I wonder why? It seems like a good solution to me. Especially if you aren't off the road every weekend.

Any thoughts here before I spend the $50 to do it?
I wondered the same thing. I wouldn't change back. But I will be getting rid of mine if I ever get around to pulling the shafts out of the XJ D30 I've got sitting on the garage floor.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #29
johnboy68
Will work for parts

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I wondered the same thing. I wouldn't change back. But I will be getting rid of mine if I ever get around to pulling the shafts out of the XJ D30 I've got sitting on the garage floor.
I guess the old saying "your mileage may vary" goes with any modification no matter if it's aftermarket or home brew.

I'm not ready for an axle shaft swap, so I will stick with my original plan and give this a try.

Unread 09-03-2008, 03:29 AM   #30
sgtcherokee
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupacabrah View Post
Cable stops are cheap. On mine i have 2 holes drilled in the fork, run cable through one and back through the other, then attach cable stop (like timatoe posted)-- this keeps the cable attached to the fork with no worries

X2 - I've had my cable stop pop off the end several times . I ended up doing the same thing and drilling another hole in the fork and feeding it back through . so far it has not pulled out. Just a note ... the first time I set mine up I just " balled up the cable " and it did not last long. It straightened the cable and pulled out.

Great write up ! I never seem to stop and take pictures when I'm working on the Jeep

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.