Home made POSI LOCK write up - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Home made POSI LOCK write up

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Reply
Unread 09-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #151
jeepcrack
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Laporte Indiana
Posts: 4
Newb here to Jeeps and love the hell out of the 89 Islander that I got.

I read through this whole thread and others having to do with the posi-lok and I plan on tackling this home made posi lok project because mine is not working at the moment.

My question is: Did the 89 Islander come with a posi-lok switch under the dash in order to engage the 4WD? I thought it was simply a shift and go item because a previous owner added an after market vaccum switch under the dash that will not engage the 4WD at this time.

I was told that i should not have to do anything but shift into 4WD in order to have 4WD, and that the posi-lok was an add on in order to make the front wheels turn at the same time in 4 low.

Thanks and this is a great thread!

__________________
...said the joker to the thief.
jeepcrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #152
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcrack View Post
Newb here to Jeeps and love the hell out of the 89 Islander that I got.

I read through this whole thread and others having to do with the posi-lok and I plan on tackling this home made posi lok project because mine is not working at the moment.

My question is: Did the 89 Islander come with a posi-lok switch under the dash in order to engage the 4WD? I thought it was simply a shift and go item because a previous owner added an after market vaccum switch under the dash that will not engage the 4WD at this time.

I was told that i should not have to do anything but shift into 4WD in order to have 4WD, and that the posi-lok was an add on in order to make the front wheels turn at the same time in 4 low.

Thanks and this is a great thread!

No YJ's came with a posilok switch. You are right about shift and go. You were mis-informed about the purpose, the posi lock is different than posi-traction. This mod ONLY replaces the factory vacuum actuated system with a manual actuated system. EVERYTHING else works the same as stock.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #153
jayj1988
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: quebec
Posts: 6
hey guys, I have a question about this mod it may sound stupid but can I still ''shift on the fly'' with this mod??
jayj1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #154
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayj1988 View Post
hey guys, I have a question about this mod it may sound stupid but can I still ''shift on the fly'' with this mod??
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
No YJ's came with a posilok switch. You are right about shift and go. You were mis-informed about the purpose, the posi lock is different than posi-traction. This mod ONLY replaces the factory vacuum actuated system with a manual actuated system. EVERYTHING else works the same as stock.
Yes you can.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 12:12 AM   #155
dino22isg
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SA,texas
Posts: 20
im new at this and this may be a stupid question but I dont think I have a posi diff. If I I install this homemade posi lock will it work or do I need some other parts aside from the hardware listed?

Thanks
dino22isg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 12:15 AM   #156
dino22isg
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SA,texas
Posts: 20
Hey man great write up. Im newat this and this might be a stupid question but if you don't have a posi diff and you install the home made posi lock will you need any other hardware aside from what is listed?

Thanks
dino22isg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #157
AuroraJeep
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino22isg View Post
Hey man great write up. Im newat this and this might be a stupid question but if you don't have a posi diff and you install the home made posi lock will you need any other hardware aside from what is listed?

Thanks
This mod is only pertaining to the vacuum switch on your axle shafts, not "posi traction". The parts listed are to "lock" you passenger side axle shafts together manually, voiding the factory vacuum switch.
__________________
AuroraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #158
James750
Registered User
1990 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Conifer, CO
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino22isg View Post
im new at this and this may be a stupid question but I dont think I have a posi diff. If I I install this homemade posi lock will it work or do I need some other parts aside from the hardware listed?

Thanks
TJ's do not have a vacuum actuated front axle. There is no way to do this mod to your wrangler, nor is there any reason to. Only YJ's, MJ's, and some older XJ's have the vac actuated front axle.
__________________
1990 mj,
Colorado Jeep Club #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubie View Post
Three words: Flying Spaghetti Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Praise be unto His Noodly Appendage.
James750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #159
speepdaedeesi
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: fort drum ny
Posts: 1,425
just got back from napa, got the locking cable and tap..

they didnt have/didnt know if they had -1/4" Compression Union
-5/8"x2-3/4" Compression Spring.

bummer. but... im halfway there on parts and spent less than 40 bucks lol.
__________________
89 yj stock- sold
92 yj stock- sold
97 tj 2"bb,31" tires- sold
95 yj soa,350 v8,sm465,44" tires,d60,14bolt- sold
95 yj soa,350v8,700r4,35" tires,d30, 8.8, fuel cell- sold
current ride-97 TJ- 86k miles, 4cyl auto, black casinos, 31" BFG A/T
speepdaedeesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #160
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by speepdaedeesi View Post
just got back from napa, got the locking cable and tap..

they didnt have/didnt know if they had -1/4" Compression Union
-5/8"x2-3/4" Compression Spring.

bummer. but... im halfway there on parts and spent less than 40 bucks lol.
When I did mine, I got the other stuff from the local True Value.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #161
AuroraJeep
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 341
I bought the compression spring from Auto Zone.
__________________
AuroraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #162
Not-Bob
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 49
Cable options

Alot of the write in's on this topic were questions I had to search for also. I tried the lawnmower throttle cable and the NAPA throttle cable, but the best one I came across was a push button cable in a rubber housing to keep moisture out. I was told they use them for motorhome generators and other equipment like chippers, trailered air compressors and generators, and etc.. It was about $80 at a cable and splicing store.
Not-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #163
Not-Bob
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
No YJ's came with a posilok switch. You are right about shift and go. You were mis-informed about the purpose, the posi lock is different than posi-traction. This mod ONLY replaces the factory vacuum actuated system with a manual actuated system. EVERYTHING else works the same as stock.
Plus you gain the ability to use low range without 4 wheel drive to be able to manuever around a little easier.
Not-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #164
ncAndrew
mmmm, bacon....
 
ncAndrew's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 62
I've got everything together, except I forgot the cable locks. :banghead:

What did you guys use for cable lube before assembling it all?
No, I'm not going to use WD-40.
ncAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #165
ncAndrew
mmmm, bacon....
 
ncAndrew's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post
I would use Loctite on those cable ends to help prevent the screw from backing out.

Shrink wrap is easily cut or abraded, so perhaps cover it with some fuel hose if you really want it abrasion/cut/oil/water resistant.

For waterproof cables go to your friendly local bike shop. You can get throttle cables or even a clutch cable if you want overkill. Motorcycle-grade cables are plenty strong, have ends that won't pull off (some get soldered on) and are waterproof. You can order cables in any length you want and the plain black ones are not expensive.

In any case lube that cable once in a while. You could coat the (inner) cable with grease the first time you put it together. Cable lube (in spray cans or oilers) works really well; it is designed to wick itself end-to-end.
I've got all kinds of grease. I guess I don't see why moly wouldn't work.

Last edited by ncAndrew; 10-07-2009 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: oops
ncAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.