home made Posi-Lock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > home made Posi-Lock

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
Killrdanasurfer

home made Posi-Lock

my 4wd won't egage and i want to get rid of the whole vac line system controling the d30... i was wondering if there are any directions on making your own posi-lock instead of buying one for two hundred... it appears to be nuthing more than a brake line off a bicycle...

[COLOR="Blue"]surfin jeep club #1[/COLOR]
Killrdanasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2006, 09:29 PM   #2
bobbert350

u could do the cheap way the lincoln locker and just weild it together but i have no clue how to build one... i would just buy it if i were u
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't done this, but may need to in the future. Since there is no search button anymore, I Googled this in jeepforum using the phrase "posi lock,jeepforum"
http://home.earthlink.net/~stevenschreiber/cabledis.htm
Let us know how it turns out if you do it.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2006, 09:21 AM   #4
atakrator

I recently tried that method, but it doesn't work that well. I can't get the fork to slide back and forth very well, and it sticks at either end.
I am think about payin the @200 for the system.
atakrator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2006, 09:40 AM   #5
jeep loser

Is it a vac line that's the problem? if so why not just fix that? Because if the shift fork is screwd you'll be buying a new one anyway
jeep loser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
Killrdanasurfer

No i was stupid and when i replaced my carter with the mc2100 i disconected something i shouldnt have... so now im just gonna do posi-lock... Thanks i'll check out that write up!

[COLOR="Blue"]surfin jeep club #1[/COLOR]
Killrdanasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
atakrator

I recommend going to a professional lawnmower place (weingartz) and getting a "locking throttle". The bike cable won't work - too weak.
Plus, the locking one, you can twist, and it locks in place.
atakrator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2006, 12:17 AM   #8
Slapahoe
Registered Jerk

1993 YJ Wrangler 

www.4x4posi-lok.com has a system for sale for $60 or so. Of course they have the $200 which I bought but they also have the cheap route.
Unread 04-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #9
dominiakrulz

i ended up using a locking choke cable from napa. I can't find a link to it, but i had the problem finding a cable that works. heres sumthing to keep in mind:

the cable has to lock in the out position
must be strong
like 8-9 feet long

luckily that cable fit everything.
dominiakrulz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You may be able to use a brake cable from a motorcycle they are fairly stout. But cost may be high, and length may be an issue also. The cable has to go through the firewall at a convenient location, travel over the steering shaft, under the air intake box then make a gradual sweep around the front of the engine under the water pump to the front axle housing. So we are talking ~6' or so.
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #11
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You could also swap in a one peice axle like a TJ. Or even make your 2 peice into a 1 peice but making the colar stay over the 2 axle peices. I have done the later using a heavy duty bolt to hold the fork/collar in place. I haven't noticed a change in MPG or had problems with my D30 locker (Aussie).

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.