Home made door surrounds - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Home made door surrounds

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Home made door surrounds

I've always wanted to run a very minimalist top. Living in SC and having a garage, I had been running a safari top all year round with a windjammer in the cooler months. This worked well except in the coldest months. I bought a beat-up bestop supertop and frame last winter and it worked pretty well keeping me warm. I didn't like that the windows were not clear and that my access to the cargo area was much more restricted.

I started running the supertop without any windows late this summer deciding that it was a better option over the safari top because the safari top did not provide adequate protection from the rain.

It'd been my desire for a long time to create some fabricated door surrounds...so that I could keep the open cargo area and also have more of an enclosure to hold the heat in the winter. I'm on my way to having made them and thought I'd share.

I took my old side windows which were beat up with dingy plastic and cut them at the seam of the canvas and the plastic.

I bought some strap type material at a fabric store along with some plastic buckles of matching size that will be used to connect the edge of the surround to the roll bar.

I then dyed them using some VHT satin black vinyl dye ordered from Amazon. I don't yet have the sewing done on the straps, but here is a mock up of the surround in place. (I also dyed the doors and top so everything would match...my doors and top originally were slightly off...I think doors were tan and the top was spice or nutmeg).

No surround:

Surround mock up:

Before picture of original top and doors:

I might regret going all black...I think I like the look of the contrast of the lighter top and doors to the dark paint. But overall I'm happy with the look and think these surrounds will be perfect! There is a slight gap between rollbar and the surrounds, but should be just enough to vent some of the heat out since the heater throws out pretty intense heat.

1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 04:33 AM   #2
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thats cool. Post up pictures with the soft upper on

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The tj door surrounds do the same. With a drill and a couple bolts to hold them in you could use them as a base for a pretty solid rear window too.
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I wanted to try that but could never find any TJ surrounds for cheap. These surrounds cheap since i already had the windows and look surprisingly good.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Plus I really like the ease of being able to remove. ...the less top the better.
Unread 11-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linusb View Post
Yeah, I wanted to try that but could never find any TJ surrounds for cheap. These surrounds cheap since i already had the windows and look surprisingly good.
I have a set going real cheap $60 bucks including shipping

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
kirksjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I made something similar a few years go, but made a frame out of an old super top frame and used an old duster cover for the fabric. It was a lot of work, but that was over 7 years ago and all I run is a bikini top, duster, windjammer and my home made door surrounds.
1992 YJ Sahara- 4.5" RE XD, 1" BL, 1" MML, 35" BFG MT, 8.8 w/Aussie, D30 w/Ten Factory shafts/ Aussie, 4:10 gears, Soild Diff Covers, SYE, CV Drive shaft, OBA, Flowmaster Super 44,, Custom head pipe, Super Chip, Boared out TB, Rock It Intake , Goferit Tie Rod Flip, 99+ intake manifold/Steering pump, custom front/rear bumpers,Hand Throttle, Hurst Shifter, Smitty Built sliders , 6" TJ flairs, Kilby belly up skid, Quadratech 9K winch, ZJ PS cooler. 01 XJ Sport-2" lift, 31x10.50 MT/ 02 Liberty 2" Lift
kirksjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.