Home Built Tie Rod Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Home Built Tie Rod Question

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
taylor797
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Home Built Tie Rod Question

The passenger side tie rod end on my jeep is gone and I realize that the joint is part of the entire tie rod so I'd have to replace the entire tie rod. Advance sells the Moog tie rod for $160 but the left hand side threaded tie rod end is only $40. Is there any reason why I cannot cut off the old end and cut the threaded portion off a new driver side end and have it properly welded on? I have a cousin thats a certified welder. I notice they are welded from the factory. I'd still have the adjustment for the tie rod on the driver side threaded end.

Thank you!

taylor797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you are going to do that just make a new setup from dom tube. You can buy the threaded ends from ruffstuff and lots of other places.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
taylor797
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was thinking of doing that, would it be worth it if I'm just going to use stock TREs? I don't feel like I need to upgrade to 1 tons
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
taylor797
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Has anyone ever tried this?
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor797 View Post
Has anyone ever tried this?
I did something somewhat similar with the draglink. I needed a longer draglink, I got one from a XJ which is quite a bit longer, cut it in half but welded it then sleeved it. For the tie rod, I simply got everything from Ruff Stuff and upgraded for well under $200.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #6
taylor797
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I ordered the full 7/8 heim steering kit from ruffstuff. Thanks guys!
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I ordered the full 7/8 heim steering kit from ruffstuff. Thanks guys!
I'm not sure if that's the same kit I got from them. I had to drill out the knuckle taper holes to straight 3/4". If you don't have a drill and bits that large, I bought a set from Harbor Freight that worked well, was an easy job.
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
taylor797
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great to hear! I'll have to find a 3/4 bit but if I can't Harbor Freight sounds good
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You will have to drill them out. You can buy a tapered insert but that to me is useless if your doing heim joints. Either way. Good call on the heim joints. Thats what I did. Its Heavy duty. Make sure you get safety washers. So you don't have a single shear situation.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Great to hear! I'll have to find a 3/4 bit but if I can't Harbor Freight sounds good
Use a vari bit (step bit) that goes to 3/4". Trust me here. It will mill the knuckle rather than **** it up because it twists and gouges the hole. Cast is soft

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
taylor797
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info on the step bit, I have a good one that should work perfect. I'll post pics of the steering when its on
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are you planning on keeping the tie rod and drag link tube?
If not are you planning on changing your steering to crossover steering?
Reason I ask is with the stock inverted y set up the drag link mounts to the tie rod.
With the stock rod it is a solid rod (at the passenger side) and even if you are able to weld a insert to the rod there will be no adjustment and not much thread contact.
If you go to tubing there will no be a place to mount your drag link unless you change it to cross over steering.
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
taylor797
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'll be mounting the drag link on top of the knuckle the same way I've seen them do on the other steering set ups such as this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/7...ering-1321063/

Is this called crossover?
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yup. One type of it. The inverted Y is how it comes stock with the draglink attaching to the passenger side tie rod rend.

Unread 07-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #15
taylor797
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's my DD and I've been reading good and bad reviews for road use. I already ordered so its too late but what do you guys think off the heim steering on road?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.