Holley Carb swap - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Holley Carb swap

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 07-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #31
samtye
1987 YJ Wrangler 

anyone swap out for a 4 barrel, im tired of messing with this holley. after it sits for awhile(more than a week or so) it runs rich. i have a edelbrock 500 i was gonna jet down but im not sure how they work on the 258. any help or suggestions would be awsome

samtye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #32
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Which Holley do you have?
The 350?
If so, you don't have it set up right.
I leave mine sitting for better than a week at times and it cranks up no problem.
A 500cfm is too big for a stock 258.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #33
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in the process of swapping a 2300 onto my '90. Zeus, looking at your pics it seems you did away with the bellcrank for the throttle and ran the cable straight to the carb. Did you keep the stock cable or have to find a shorter one? I'd like to set mine up like yours because if I run the stock bellcrank, the rod hits the throttle body. Also, how did you plumb the charcoal canister? Any tips on how to block off the exhaust pipe when I remove the pulse air?

Western Mass. 4x4
Smtty58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #34
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Smtty,

Not sure what you mean by bellcrank, but I did run the throttle cable straight to the carb. I just twisted the stock cable into position after I had the cable mount custom bent and welded as you see it.

I removed my charcoal canister. I can get away with it here in Ga. I'm moving to Texas next week so I may be putting it back into service. If so, I'll just hook it back up to a ported vacuum and have what I need.

Z

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
Unread 08-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #35
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a pic of my cable. It curves down to the bellcrank, then a rod runs up to the throttle. If I run the cable right to the throttle, it will be too long, unless I put a loop in it. Is this what you did? I can rig up another bracket, that's not a problem. I'm just concerned about having a loop.

Western Mass. 4x4
Unread 08-22-2009, 07:04 AM   #36
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The stock linkage setup won't work. It's trying to pull down and you need the linkage to pull backwards - toward the firewall. Yes, there is a slight loop in my cable to get it to work correctly. I'll get that picture posted Monday so you can see how I made it work. I modified the stock bracket you show in your picture.

Also, you are going to have problems with that universal adaptor plate. It doesn't seal properly to the base of the Holley for correct operation. I fought with one for over a year before I went to see some pro engine builders and they helped me find the problem. Once I got that solid plate made, I was able to tune it.

Holley Carb thread
Unread 08-23-2009, 03:40 PM   #37
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I went with the Mr. G adapter because I had one laying around. I filled the slots with RTV based on a post I saw here. Got it running today, showing 18.5-19" of vacuum at idle, so I think all is well. There's a stumble when goosing it, but I'm still running the 61 jets. I've got a set of 55s I'll try, if they don't work out I'll get some 58s. Also thinking of dropping the pump nozzles down to .028 from .031. The pump shot looks pretty hefty. I put a less aggressive pump cam on, but that didn't help. Right now I'm running the bellcrank. There's a ballstud on the Holley, below and aft of where you have your cable mounted. Pulling down it seems to be working out, the geometry looks good. I'm running a CJ rod from the Holley to the bellcrank, which is a hair too long, so I'll try and make a new rod at work this week. Looking forward to seeing your cable pics. If I go digging through my junk pile I have a bunch of those cable brackets to play with. I'm running an 11" air cleaner, cleared nicely after I tweaked to booster hose. I'll get some pics up soon.

Western Mass. 4x4
Unread 08-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #38
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Spent a little time with it today. I'm not seeing any fuel coming from the booster venturis. That could be my stumble. I'll pull it apart tomorrow and check the main circuit.

Western Mass. 4x4
Unread 09-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #39
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Smtty,

Any luck with your problems?

Z

Holley Carb thread
Unread 09-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #40
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've been real busy this week, haven't had time to work on it. I've been reading a lot of MC2100 swap info, as it uses the same adapter. A lot of leak related stumble problems there too. This weekend I'll pull the carb and look at the gasket. Then I'll decide where to go from there.

Western Mass. 4x4
Unread 09-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #41
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The gaskets looked fine, no evidence of a leak. This carb came with my CJ, and it had the same stumble on that motor. No adapter, it was on a Clifford. And after rebuilding it and fighting with it couldn't get it solved. So I rebuilt the Carter and Nuttered it, runs great now.

Western Mass. 4x4
Unread 11-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #42
WVHotWheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

On the #42 injector nozzle is that a .042 accelerator pump discharge nozzle/ what did the carb have on it to start with? Im have a simular problem, But I have the Clifford intake/pace setter headers/HEI/holley 350/Holley elc pump, between 2000 and 3000 RPM sputers/up hill no power/gas milage sucks, plugs completly BLACK, I have about 19,19.5 of vac on manifold,I had thought the carb was bad went and got a new one same problem, Was about to go #@$&^(* nuts,Then found this thread.
WVHotWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #43
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly, I don't remember what it has first.
I'm thinking it was smaller, like 39 or something.
Before you dive too deep into the injector nozzle, make sure your power valve is right for your vacuum in the manifold.

Holley Carb thread
Unread 11-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #44
WVHotWheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OK my manifold is showing 19 or a little above so I was thinking that a 9.5 would be the correct size, the first carb I tried was used it had a 5.0 power valve and 58 jets the new carb has 8.5 power valve and 61 jets, plug are still black, I had replaced everthing in the brand new HEI dissy with new ACCEL parts had the same responce so Im hoping what you have done with your carb will work on mine,I have the the Holley 450 4bar that I was going to use at first glad I did'nt now,Thanks for anymore info you may add,Kenneth
WVHotWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #45
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

WV, have you tried my setup?

With 19" of vacuum, a 9.5 PV would be just right.
I don't know if Holley make s one that size right off, but if it's available go for it.
Please post up your results for all to to know.

Holley Carb thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.