Holley Carb swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Holley Carb swap

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-27-2006, 09:03 AM   #1
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Holley Carb swap

I have the 87 Wrangler with the 4.2L, 5-speed. My original carter carb pos went south sime time ago and I decided to go with the Holley 350cfm straight 2bbl and an adapter plate.

Has anyone ever done the carter to Holley swap?
If so, what were your solutions to get it running correctly?

I have done this swap and have been doing adjustments for some time trying to get the stumble out and have had no success.

Any and all help is appreciated.

TIA

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
FarrellX
1999 XJ Cherokee 

sorry this is no help, but i bought my jeep with that exact carb. couldnt compare it to the stock carb, but compared to other cars with carbs, it seems to run much better. if my carb died though..id just go all out with fuel injection. but thats just me
FarrellX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the response.
I wish I had the money for the FI kit, but $2700 is hard to come by right now.
Compared to the stock carb, it's a massive improvement. I swear I get better mileage now. I just had to have a custom adapter plate made to solve a vaccum leak and it helped but didn't solve the problem.

Have you ever been into the carb?
Do you know what size jets and power valve you have?
How about injector nozzle size?

I'm hoping it's just down to the right combo of the three to get rid of the stumble.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
Unread 09-28-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

TTT

Anyone else?

Holley Carb thread
Unread 10-05-2006, 08:38 AM   #5
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Noone?

Surely there is someone in this fine country of ours that has doe this before that can give me some assistance.

Any and all help/comments are appreicated/welcomed.

Holley Carb thread
Unread 10-05-2006, 11:00 AM   #6
PRCE7
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn
Thanks for the response.
I wish I had the money for the FI kit, but $2700 is hard to come by right now.
Compared to the stock carb, it's a massive improvement. I swear I get better mileage now. I just had to have a custom adapter plate made to solve a vaccum leak and it helped but didn't solve the problem.

Have you ever been into the carb?
Do you know what size jets and power valve you have?
How about injector nozzle size?

I'm hoping it's just down to the right combo of the three to get rid of the stumble.
According to AFI you can pick up a "Complete AMC Throttle Body Fuel Injection System" for 1295.00

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/amc-system.htm

If my weber ever goes out that's what I'm shooting for.
stuff for sale: Posi-Lok 4X4 cable set-up, Warn differential guard, NP 231, YJ OEM drive shaft, Ford 9 inch rear-end, Dana 35, Front 1" extended bump stops, XJ Grille with both bezels, Dana 20, Torque Flight 727, here is the full detail: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479744
PRCE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 07:19 AM   #7
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well, in case anyone ever wants to know, I did FINALLY get rid of my stumble. Ol Frankenstein is running like a champ, ever when cold.

- custom fab adaptor plate (no cheapo universal)
- size 58 jets
- 10.5" power valve (22" vaccum at idle)
- 25cc accelerator pump (with taught adjustment screw)
- and I believe a #42 injector nozzle but I may try and size it down and see how it runs.

Yes, this is on a stock 4.2l rebuild.
Runs like a small V8 in the warm months

Holley Carb thread
Unread 03-22-2007, 08:46 AM   #8
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, in case anyone ever wants to know, I did FINALLY get rid of my stumble. Ol Frankenstein is running like a champ, ever when cold.

- custom fab adaptor plate (no cheapo universal)
- size 58 jets
- 10.5" power valve (22" vaccum at idle)
- 25cc accelerator pump (with taught adjustment screw)
- and I believe a #42 injector nozzle but I may try and size it down and see how it runs.

Yes, this is on a stock 4.2l rebuild.
Runs like a small V8 in the warm months

So what actually solved the stumble? The adapter plate curing the vac leak?
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #9
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond 88 YJ
So what actually solved the stumble? The adapter plate curing the vac leak?
It was really the whole combination/setup.

I talked to Holley tech support after making many adjustments that never really did anything. Came to the conclusion that it was indeed a lean stumble. The engine would run out of gas at a certain point in pedal travel (butterfly poistion vs engine vaccum). Adjusted the powervalve to my vaccum reading and corrected the accelerator pump & linkage (big help here!). The jet size came along in the middle of all this by looking at spark plugs and discussing it with another board member.

The adaptor plate issue was always a concen to me so I just decided to spend the money to eliminate any possibility of a problem. I changed it straight out without any other adjustments and could tell a difference in operation. It was a wonderful addition as the shop that cut it for me beveled the throats from the Holley to the fcty manifold...made it out of 5/8 thk plate.

BUT it wasn't until after I changed the plate that I could figure out the other adjustments. So yes, the plate put me on the path to success.

Strange that I could never find the leak....

Holley Carb thread
Unread 03-22-2007, 09:09 AM   #10
jeepdrvr101

I have had problems with my holley carb since I put it in, I think mine is a 250, but do not remember. Mabye I'll try a new adapter plate, and see where I go from there.

Mike

2006 Ram 1500 TRX4 5.7 HEMI All stock
jeepdrvr101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #11
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdrvr101
I have had problems with my holley carb since I put it in, I think mine is a 250, but do not remember. Mabye I'll try a new adapter plate, and see where I go from there.

Mike
If you have the aftermarket version that has the same bolt flange as the MC2xxx, it is a 350. It's the smallest universal carb they make.

If you have the adaptor plate that has slots in the bolt pattern, it's leaking. That is what I replaced.

I have a new digital camera on order, should be in tomorrow. I'll post pics of it. You guys have to see this plate they made for me. It's fabulous. Even the guys at Salvage Jeep thought it was great.

Holley Carb thread
Unread 03-22-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
pyro9862

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdrvr101

Mike
Spray starter fluid around the base of the adapter plate and see if the idle changes. I had the same problem with my MC2100 so I remounted it with a new gasket and some silicone that solved part of my problem.

Quote:
You guys have to see this plate they made for me. It's fabulous. Even the guys at Salvage Jeep thought it was great.
Where did you get the plate?
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #13
jeepdrvr101

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro9862
Spray starter fluid around the base of the adapter plate and see if the idle changes. I had the same problem with my MC2100 so I remounted it with a new gasket and some silicone that solved part of my problem.

Where did you get the plate?
I don't know a buddy of mine worked at one of the local jeep dealerships as the shop supv. he did the original work on it for me, but now he is gone so I can't even ask him anything about it.

Mike

2006 Ram 1500 TRX4 5.7 HEMI All stock
jeepdrvr101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 07:31 AM   #14
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I know this has been a long time in coming but I finally got some pics of this custom fabricated plate. This is actually the second one, the first is on my motor. Wizard has been waiting on this one!

I have also added a fuel pressure regulator.
More explanation on this later.
It is definitely an added bonus.
my-plate-1.jpg   my-plate-2.jpg   new-plate.jpg  

Holley Carb thread

Last edited by zeus87gn; 03-15-2008 at 07:59 AM..
Unread 04-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #15
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

FPR pics

Finally, a moment to breathe...

This has been quite the nice addition to my setup.
Stinky exhaust virtually eliminated.
No more black spots on startup (spitting from the tailpipe).
Smoother operation.
Better tuning response when adjusting the mixture.
Just all around one d@mn good thing to have done.
I highly recommend this to anyone running this carb.
I presently have it set on 3-1/2.
4 was starting to get rich again, 3 made it lack some power.
I'm still experimenting with it.

I contacted Holley about this and they agreed it may be a good thing as the Holley is only made to run on 6-1/2 psi. I have read the stock FP on the old 4.2's puts out about 7 to 8 psi.
p2130208-.jpg   p2130209-.jpg   p2130210-.jpg  

Holley Carb thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.