holley carb running weird cold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > holley carb running weird cold

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
dominator69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

holley carb running weird cold

last week i swapped the carter out for a rebuilt Holley carb and also nuttered the jeep. started right up and ran perfect but when i drove it when it was cold i couldn't press the throttle much or else it would start to run choppy and lose all power and almost kill its self. when it warms up it runs and drives great but there's a spot in the middle of the throttle when it hesitates then a little passed that spot it has the power to throw my head back haha. so what could this be? its a 2 barrel carb, could it be having a hard time opening the second barrel or something?

dominator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The Holley 2bbls are not progressive like the carter - they're a straight 2bbl
They must be tuned to the motor - specifically the power valve
You have the exact problem I had back some time ago
Visit The Holley technical library and read up on tuning and power valve selection

Also, which adaptor plate do you have?
The Holley will not work correctly with the cheapo Mr Gasket adaptor plate
There is a link to a better one towards the end of my carb thread
You will eventually need to change the dist as well due to the mechanical advance limiting in your original dist.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
dominator69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

just looked through the thread you had linked on your post, that gives me some good starting ground. and looking at the pics you had on it, i have a very simmilar if not same adaptor plate.
Also with changing the distributer should i just do the team rush upgrade while im at it?
Thanks for your reply, it helps out knowing someones had the same problem and solved it
dominator69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.